Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LaRobley

Good Cheap 2m

Iam looking at getting a 2m radio I really don't know much were is a good place to start. I went to radio shack and they stoped selling them...

You can also try:

Ham Radio Outlet

Amateur Electronic Supply

Each has an online store and several brick and mortar stores. Both are pretty well known, and popular. I prefer HRO, since they have stores local in SoCal.

A simple 2m ht is pretty useful. I would suggest staying away from the real bottom end units--especially the low power ones.

These stores also have used and close-out equipment at good prices.

Good luck!

Dave_W6DPS

R&L Electronics

These guys have a nice price on a 2M/70cm radio. Alinco DJ596T for $159.95.

Several guys up here use this model and love it. Nice price for a dual bander as well.

IF there are any Hamfests or auctions in your area, you might check there. I got an Icom P-2AT for $90 with batteries, battery case, and charger.

If you use eBay, be sure to send the seller a note/ask a question... put your call sign at the bottom when you sig. When the seller responds with their callsign, you check that on QRZ.com and verify they are in fact a ham.

Establish that you are dealing with a ham and you can't go wrong. This is experience from many purchases on eBay, each of them very, very positive. Amateurs make the best buyers and sellers on eBay.

I've run into incredibly good deals - my Kenwood D700A with all accessories, separation kit, external speakers, extra powercord, brackets, Manual, orig box, Magellan GPS unit with cabling to connect to radio and power, computer/radio programming cable, serial adapter and shipped/received w/in 5 days for $400.

My TH-F6A HT was $235 - the ham who sold it to me wanted to save up for a mobile unit as he had a travelling job between states...

Check eBay, and if you are not that type,

www.gigaparts.com

I've found that they also have good prices.

Todd - K7PKT

Might I recommend the Icom IC-V8 2 meter handheld? It's a sturdy, excellent HT. I have one and love it. This is the best price I've seen on it: Gigaparts

They list it for $115.00. I'm not affiliated with Gigaparts-- just a satisfied customer.

Good luck--

Jackie KC0ODY

Umm,... maybe a stupid, well uninformed , question. By HT you all are refering to a Handy Talkie, right?

How much performance loss can I expect using a hand held unit as opposed to a unit in my car? Are the same features available? IE will I be able to program repeater frequencies and access tones into it? I just started researching 2M so I'm not very familiar with how it all works. Pardon me if I fux pawed. :lol:

Just purchased my first HT this weekend at a hamfest, and in fact it's my first ham radio (though I have had my license a few years).

Mine's a Yaesu FT-60R, new model this year I guess. So far it's been great, the battery is a NiMH, little bit better than the NiCads that power some of the HTs I ran across at the show. I've used it to converse with a local geocacher while caching on Sunday (hey when ya don't have cell phones, an HT is good). And I tried out a repeater last night, ended up conversing with 5 or 6 local hams. I'm sure I'll never use the 1000 memory channels on it though, but I'm having fun programming stuff in on it.

.......By HT you all are refering to a Handy Talkie, right?

How much performance loss can I expect using a hand held unit as opposed to a unit in my car? Are the same features available? IE will I be able to program repeater frequencies and access tones into it?...........

The term HT (which dates back to even before I was born :lostsignal: )stands for HandieTalkie, and generally refers to any handheld transceiver.

HT's are convenient, mostly because of portability, but their transmitters will usually not cover as much distance as will their receivers. If you are operating mostly through repeaters, the HT may work well for you, although most HT's do not have as many features as the "mobile" (powered directly from 12 VDC) radios offer. This disparity seems to be narrowing with some of the newest HT's.

When walking or on two wheels, I prefer my HT (Yaesu VX-7R); when on (and off) the road on four wheels, I prefer my Yaesu FT-8900R.

Whichever way you decide to go, most of both types (the most recent ones) can be programmed with a PC. This is a huge advantage in speed and versatility.... being able to reprogram when you travel to another area.