76cs Vs 60cs - Please Help

julgeo

I am on the verge of buying my first GPS and am torn between the 60CS and the 76CS. I like the fact that the 76 has more memory and a better basemap loaded, but like the looks of the 60. Is the basemap good enough for autorouting that additonal street level software is not needed? Has anyone out there used both, and if so what was your opinion. The only similiar type unit I can find locally is a Meridian, which I liked but didn't like the color screen, very hard to read in daylight. The buttons on the top of the 76 seem like they are in the wrong place, but without being able to acually hold one, it is hard to know how it feels. How durable is the 76 vs the 60? Also, is the (s) features of both units worth $35 for a newbie like myself. I know it includes a magnetic compass and barometer, how useful are these?

Thanks!!!

For either of these units, the basemap is not very useful unless you only travel on interstates and state highways. You will really want to get additional software. For autorouting, get CitySelect. TOPO is also great too for hiking. If you are not planning to buy mapping software, you could save a lot of money by getting a much cheaper unit.

The extra money for the compass is nice and very useful when you are stopped or moving very slowly (like when seeking a cache)

I chose the 60CS over the 76CS because I liked the case style/shape and location of the buttons better. I sacrificed some memory, but I can load my whole state plus some large cities in nearby states easily with the 56MB. I can load all the maps I could possibly need for any long weekend road trip. Since I travel with a laptop, loading new maps is not a problem at all.

So in short, choose the 76CS if you want/need more memory. Choose the 60CS if you like the size/shape and location of buttons and can live with less memory.

Both units are awesome and highly coveted by geocachers. . . .

Edited by YuccaPatrol

76CS:

1) It has double the memory of a 60CS. Enough said right there (IMHO) !

2) It IS nearly the same size as the 60.

Garmin spec's

76CS: 6.2"H x 2.7"W x 1.4"D

60CS: 6.1"H x 2.4"W x 1.3"D

.... (yes I know, the 60 has a Rhino antenna and it more rounded in places....)

3) It DOES fit in a shirt or coat pocket.

4) I have taken a 76s or 76CS deer hunting each of the past 3 years. Worked great!

5) It floats, which might be important since you mentioned boats.

6) According to Garmin, it's basemap is 'more detailed' than a 60, see thread below...

Here's another 76 vs. 60 thread...

7) I have tried the 60 series and understand others may prefer it's form, I however, preferred and bought the 76.... YMMV ;)

Here's a re-posting comment's I've made earlier...

=====================================================

Most of the things that are said about the 60 are likely true of the 76C(s) as well (only the 76Cs is better ;) IMHO)

I really like

• Color
  • 115Mb for Maps !!!
  • New Operating Interface
  • Autorouting !!!
  • Geocahing mode is nice (but definately not needed!)

ONE thing I don't like (also true of the 60):

• Text sizes are way too big with too much 'white space' for data fields.
  • Hopefully a firmware update (I've sent in a request) will allow a choice for smaller data field sizes (like on the 76s)

As for Size, the 60 people will claim the 76 is the size of a small river barge. NOT True. In fact the total exterior dimensions are nearly identical. I know, I know, the 76 case is largely rectangular (i.e. it floats) and the 60 case has the rhino style antenna and rounded off bottom, but the point is, the 76 series is NOT huge. It fits in shirt pockets, it fits beautifully in my hands. My wife is rather petitte and she has no complaints using the 76cs. I am only rambling on so, because the 60 crowd would scare off any potential purchasers who've never even seen a 76 series.

107436_11400.jpg

If you find you need accessory cables and such: GPS Geek (a.k.a. Gilsson Tech) can't be beat! They also sell a very nice case with clear window for the 76 series!

RAM mounts are great and become relatively inexpensive once you expand to multiple uses (i.e. car, bike, etc) RAM Mounts specific to the 76 series...9301430135J.gif9301430135DA.jpg

I've said if before and here it is again:

"I'll take double the memory of the 60 series in a floating case any day!!!!!"

YMMV

Oddly enough the one feature that I was concerned about on the 76CS vs the 60CS was the location of buttons. I had thought that their location would be annoying, but in fact, I have found the opposite to be true. I am sure that hand-size has an effect, but I have found that the button location and general ergonomics of the 76CS very satisfying. I even tried holding it upside to get a sese of what the 60 would be like and found it very difficult to hold onto.

For me the big pluses were the expanded memory and the fact that it floats!

Personally, I prefer the 60c. I tried both side by side at REI and the 76 just didn't feel as nice. Perfectly usable and buttons on top are not really an issue. However just wasn't as nice as the 60. The rather large case actually makes the screen look smaller than the 60, even though they are identical.

I really like the expanded memory of the 76c and it definetly has a better base map. Its a trade off.

As far as floating or sinking, well that is another trade off. If you boat then you want it to float. However, if you speed alot of time near streams and fast moving rivers, then you want it to sink like a rock. A floating one will just float down stream like a stick.

Edited by TheClickMeister

I previously used a Garmin GPS V and recently purchased a 76CS. First, the screen (same on the 60C(S) too) is absolutely brilliant in the sun. I kept thinking the backlight was on since it was so bright. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the screen.

The buttons on top actually feel natural to me. It could be because when I held my GPS V vertically, the buttons were on top, but with them on top, I still have the entire GPS in my hand when I'm pressing the buttons. I think with the 60C(S) and the buttons on the bottom, you're only holding the very bottom of the unit in your hand as you press the buttons. My hands are medium and I carry the 76 in my left hand while I cache (with a pole in my right hand) and it's very comfortable.

The real decision on which to get was the memory. I make some longer trips each year and the 60C(S) wouldn't be able to hold the entire detailed map segments covering the route while the 76CS would.

The "S" feature you'd use as a geocacher is the electronic compass. I'm still getting used to it, but I do think it's a good feature. It's useful when standing still or walking very slow vs the "let me move and tell you which location the cache is in" response I used to always have to say. Once you get very close to the cache it should be more of a stop looking at the GPS and start looking for the cache response to anyone regardless of the GPS.

I'm extremely happy with the 76CS though I likely would have gone for the 60CS if I didn't want that extra memory.