Diabetes On The Trail

Robespierre

About a week ago I finally capitulated (wife & Doc on me) and now I shoot up (Lantus is refrigerated, but I only do it at bedtime)(Humalog can travel easily, and I shoot up three times a day - but it's not all adjusted yet). I don't think it's gonna be a big deal. I take a loaded needle to school in my glasses case for lunch. I have a batch of sugar fix tablets for low sugar rescue - which is not a reality at all.

Exercise affects your sugar a lot, I know. So what advice do you junkies have for diabetics on the trail? Maybe some other problems included. ;)

Talk about your CITO!!

About a week ago I finally capitulated (wife & Doc on me) and now I shoot up (Lantus is refrigerated, but I only do it at bedtime)(Humalog can travel easily, and I shoot up three times a day - but it's not all adjusted yet). I don't think it's gonna be a big deal. I take a loaded needle to school in my glasses case for lunch. I have a batch of sugar fix tablets for low sugar rescue - which is not a reality at all.

Exercise affects your sugar a lot, I know. So what advice do you junkies have for diabetics on the trail? Maybe some other problems included. ;)

Talk about your CITO!!

First suggestion. Ask your Doctors this question. They are trained in proper management. I'm not sure I would trust my Health to a bunch of people what hunt Tupperware in the woods ;) (Seriously, DO ask your doctor)

Second suggestion. Follow your Doctors advice.

Third Suggestion. See Second suggestion.

Fourth Suggestion. Carry your Blood Sugar meter with you and make sure you check your levels if you feel at all strange.

Last Suggestion. Don't cache alone. Cache with someone who has been taught the signs of low blood sugar and knows how to properly care for you if your blood sugar drops below 70 and below 50.

Yes this may change your caching style a little but you will be alive.

Last Suggestion. Don't cache alone. Cache with someone who has been taught the signs of low blood sugar and knows how to properly care for you if your blood sugar drops below 70 and below 50.

Yes this may change your caching style a little but you will be alive.

Now, if you can only convince that Lapaglia dude to follow this advice.

CO Admin is correct.

To this I would add that you should carry the prescription or the presciption label and your doctor's name and 24 hour number so that if there are any problems or questions, EMT's or police can be in contact with him/her.

Get and wear a MedicAlert bracelet or pendant. EMT's are trained to look for these, and, if you are unconcious, they can save a lot of time in the ER. They are about $35 and their database stores a lot of info that can be faxed at a drop of a hat.

Try to find a glucose meter that stores values of recent tests, so you and your doctor can track your therapy and if there are problems, the ER people will be able to follow back and see what your recent glucose trends were.

Dealing with chronic illness is about using your brain to replace function lost in the affected organ, in this case the pancreas. Learn about diabetes as much as you can. Learn about the signs and symptoms of problems. As you go caching, learn about how you are affected.

Cache with a buddy. Start out with easy 1:1 caches in urban settings, then move up to more physically challenging caches. Be sure that your buddy has a cell phone and knows how to get a hold of emergency staff. Be sure that the folks at home know where you are going to be.

Shoes and socks. Don't buy the cheap stuff. Take care of your feet and they will take care of you. Don't take care of them, and you won't have them around to worry about. Foot care is really important. Comfortable shoes and good protection against debris and pressure sores. Another excuse to get that trip to Cabelas you have always wanted.

I would recommend a TinyTrak APRS beacon, but in our state, some of the rural 911 services don't seem to recognize GPS data, so I don't think that it would help much. Although it might be a way into HAM radio....

Edited by bigredmed

Being a geocacher and a diabetic for over 20 years, I WOULD NOT bring preloading needles with me anywhere. Bring the insulin bottles and needles along in a case,but do not load the needle with insulin. The pluinger could get bumped and you could be getting the wrong dose. If you happened to get pulledover/stoped and or Questioned by the police and you happened to get searched by them and have a loaded needle on you, it could lead to very big trouble in this age of terrorism.

ALWAYS wear identification of some kind. around your neck or wrist and carry something saying that you are a diabetic in your wallet. I always carry a pack of LIFESAVERS with me. they are small and fit in my pocket.

Tell some one where you are going and when you plan on returning.

Ask you MD for further advie. good luck and have fun!!

chef

CO Admin & Tahosa speak truly. A part of my family is hit heavy with this and watching what happens when you do things right is bad enough. Do not, do not, do not, let it get the better of you.

Having said that. There are automatic devices now that may help, but it brings you back to points 1, 2, and 3 from CO Admins post.

Edited by Renegade Knight

So, is diabetes new for you, or have you been coping for a time, before giving in to the injections? I ask because if you are new to all of this, knowledge cannot be understated. Many excellent references exist, but this is the best I've found:

ADA Complete Guide to Diabetes

I too am a diabetic, but am not insulin dependant. Losing 70+ pounds has also made meds lo longer necessary but I do have frequent hypoglycemic episodes, especially if I am having fun, exercising and time gets away from me. So I am sure to set an alarm on my watch to remind me to check after four hours. When I hit that fifth or sixth hour, I always hit the low wall, so I must watch my time between meals, and always carry glucose tabs.

If you find your bs levels (no jokes please) fluctuate wildly throughout the course of a day, it will be especially pronounced with physical exertion. Consider asking your doctor about insulin pumps. They can monitor you bs level without your even having to ck yourself, and administer a dose of insulin automatically. Expensive, but insurance should cover it if your doctor orders it.

I was diagnosed with Type II about six years ago. It took some changes in lifestyle, and required maintaining a degree of awareness which was frustrating at first. But now that I have adjusted, it seems quite normal to me to plan out when I am going to eat, to adjust for various activities that affect blood sugar levels, etc. etc. It does not make caching any more difficult...it is simply another activity I engage in that I have to factor in my blood sugar levels...no different from when I am operating a contest for Ham radio, volunteering at the local museum or mowing the yard. Everyone here has given excellent advice, and it was good reminder to me on a few things (have to update my medic alert tag, for one).

I hope you are able to make the adjustments and continue to have fun caching.

Reply to the question:

For a couple of years I have pretty much ignored a low-level diabetes, taking two pills a day, and refusing to test regularlly. I exercise 3x week, and hike, but haven't lost any weight... so things have gotten worse.

Well, after rebelling totally since February, I finally ran out my meds, and the Dr. would not give me more without seeing me. So I had labs and a stress test, and my sugar level was way above what I used to live with. So now we're beginning the process of adjusting the insulin. I've been a bad boy. Right now the diversity in my testing is huge, but I haven't had the second Dr.'s visit yet. (in the last week I've had a low of 53, and a high of 279.)

Thing is, I'm not feeling bad most of the time, and I hike where I want.

Guys, I thought you were going to tell me to stay warm and watch what I eat, and maybe a good way to store my insulin...but you all nailed me good.

Reply to the question:

For a couple of years I have pretty much ignored a low-level diabetes, ... so things have gotten worse.

... I've been a bad boy. Thing is, I'm not feeling bad most of the time, and I hike where I want.

Guys, I thought you were going to tell me to stay warm and watch what I eat, and maybe a good way to store my insulin...but you all nailed me good.

OK, now I just want to scold you!

If you wait until you feel 'too bad most of the time' it'll be too late to repair the irrevokable damage you've done.

Of course if caching gets boring to you, you can always up the difficulty level considerably by doing it as a blind double-amputee on a dialysis machine.

Now, behave!

Robespierre,

It was not my intention to kick a person while you're down. And you get points for bravely posting the truth about your health indiscretions. And God knows, I'm no saint. I can stand to lose another 35 pounds or more, and have made no inroads there in six months. I've also gotten out of the habit of testing daily, since my A1C stays easily below 6 these days. I probably test about 3 times a week. So, I could do better myself.

But if your challenge lies in staying motivated, and you think a good nagging from time to time might help, I've been told I have a guilt trip talent that can make remorse and shame sing through your veins.

I'm happy to help; so feel free to email me if you need to be nagged, denigrated and inspired.

-2Q

- but it's not all adjusted yet). 

I don't think it's gonna be a big deal.

I take a loaded needle to school in my glasses case for lunch.

I looked at this one again, and I really wonder how STUPID you are.

"I take a loaded needle to school in my glasses case for lunch."

Without a current reading what would your load be. Don't you know your load (dosage) depends on your reading.

If you wind up on the forums that another cacher bit the dust, you won't get any condolences from me.

I've been through hell with my son since he was 3 and its now 10 years of pain and devotion, but I still have him. Will your family be able to say the same in 10 years. Grow up and listen to your Dr.

P.S. Moderator not needed on this one!!!!

My brother has been type 1 for almost 40 years now. It is a big lifestyle change and he doesn't monitor it as well as he should. Low sugar levels can hit at anytime. He stayed with us for a number of weeks in the last couple of years. One morning as we were getting ready for work he called for my wife with panic in his voice. He was laying on the floor unable to move (his leg muscles refused to hold him up). My wife didn't quite figure out what was going on but as soon as I entered the room I knew he needed sugar and fast. And then carbs to keep from spiking the sugar level too high and provide a longer lasting blood sugar level.

So, it can get away from you even if you've been at it for awhile.

In the "who wants to be a Millionaire" you have life-lines. Well, you have some:

1. Your doctor (50/50) -- he can provide options.

2. Your family (audience vote).

3. Take a buddy (phone a friend).

Please, don't preload your needle. Keep them sealed until you need to take that shot. If you are stopped with "unknown" solution -- do they really want to believe you -- do you really want them to believe every stranger? Rotate the bottle (your doctor may have a better idea) so it isn't the same one taken out of the fridge every day for work.

Hiking in the back country will be possible after you are stablized and have established ongoing control in various conditions.

Now, I gotta remember to take off at lunch time and chase some signals around Seattle. But I'm a work-a-holic! There, I admitted it!

QUOTE (Robespierre @ Sep 23 2004, 03:55 AM)

- but it's not all adjusted yet).

I don't think it's gonna be a big deal.

I take a loaded needle to school in my glasses case for lunch.

I looked at this one again, and I really wonder how STUPID you are.

"I take a loaded needle to school in my glasses case for lunch."

Without a current reading what would your load be. Don't you know your load (dosage) depends on your reading.

If you wind up on the forums that another cacher bit the dust, you won't get any condolences from me.

I've been through hell with my son since he was 3 and its now 10 years of pain and devotion, but I still have him. Will your family be able to say the same in 10 years. Grow up and listen to your Dr.

P.S. Moderator not needed on this one!!!!

I think you can relax on this one: I'm doing what the Dr. says. I think that mine is called type 2, and is a bit different from type 1, or do I have them backwards?

I take my meter and test ( I just got the new Freestyle last night for arm, not fingers)

Right now I take 10 whatevers at lunch, and I see the Dr. in a few days with my records. But thanks for the concern. BTW, I checked all of this with the Principal, and I'm good on the legalities, but so far I've been the whole week in the same room due to a death.

Everyone, I just want to close this topic out with a big THANK YOU. Thanks for your help and your concern. I got a lot more of both than I excepted.

I printed the thread out so I can tack it up. A couple of the posts were very good as lists of things to remember. Several are good motivation. How do I say this so you'll understand...with my temperment, I tend to not take this whole thing so seriously as maybe I should...as definitely I should. Thanks for your care.

good cachin'. I'm gonna get a couple today. Big Wet Beaver was a dnf a couple of months ago and I've been wantin' to get back there. Have to tutor at 10:00 first.

Robespierre