Geocaching And Guiness...

art begotti

hm... just curious... what if geocaching were to global in a little different way? as in, are there any possible records in the guiness book of world records that geocaching might be able to fit into? the only idea i can think of off the top of my head is "longest distance travelled by an object" (which could be just about any travel bug). i dont know, maybe it wouldnt work. but what else could geocaching score in the book for? or has it already done so?

[snip]the only idea i can think of off the top of my head is "longest distance travelled by an object" (which could be just about any travel bug). [/snip]

For man-made objects, I believe one of the Voyager spacecraft has that distinction, and it is unlikely that a TB will catch up (unless placed on a faster spacecraft). But it is a good idea. Maybe "most caches" should be a category by itself.

Well I prefer Newcastle, or a local microbrew, but any beer is good after a long day of caching. Oh not that guiness. nevermind.....

Half pint glass of New Castle, then Guinness poured to the top = a Black Castle. Two of my three favorite beers in one glass. mmmm....

If I am not mistaken, Guinness Beer and the Guinness Book of World Records are the same people, however one is tastier and infinitely more fun than the other.

Did you taste the book to be sure that the beer is tastier? ;)

I assume of course that you meant the beer is tastier and that you don't enjoy eating books! :P;)

If I am not mistaken, Guinness Beer and the Guinness Book of World Records are the same people, however one is tastier and infinitely more fun than the other.

Did you taste the book to be sure that the beer is tastier? ;)

I assume of course that you meant the beer is tastier and that you don't enjoy eating books! :P;)

Carleen, if geocaching were covered in the record book, then you and I would be listed there, at least until someone finds more than 240 caches in 24 hours. For that reason, I will stick to drinking Guinness and I won't taste the book, because....

wait for it...

That would mean I would have to eat my words!

This gave me an idea for an activity at an event cache.

You get a keg of Old Milwauke, serveral beer bongs, and a few willing participants.

Each participant does a few bongs then has to find a cache. Best time wins. You could also have a few sub catagories of awards. Like longest staggering path, most misidentified caches (no that really is a pine cone), worst trade................. Took walkman left Gaaaaaaaaack.

This gave me an idea for an activity at an event cache.

You get a keg of Old Milwauke, serveral beer bongs, and a few willing participants.

Each participant does a few bongs then has to find a cache. Best time wins. You could also have a few sub catagories of awards. Like longest staggering path, most misidentified caches (no that really is a pine cone), worst trade................. Took walkman left Gaaaaaaaaack.

Most stops to "mark the tree"... or should the award go to the one who makes the fewest stops?

Sericously though, the problem with setting a Guiness record is that the event or activity has to be certified -- i.e., proven that it was done. How would you certify that a person indeed truly did find that many caches (short of havnig the log book from each cache as proof). I'm not saying that there are people who log more finds than what they really find -- oh, wait, yes I am.

Sericously though, the problem with setting a Guiness record is that the event or activity has to be certified -- i.e., proven that it was done.  How would you certify that a person indeed truly did find that many caches (short of havnig the log book from each cache as proof).  I'm not saying that there are people who log more finds than what they really find -- oh, wait, yes I am.

In our case, we have track logs, computer records and two witnesses. And yes, I suppose someone could go verify all the log books.

Fortunately though I don't care to see my name in any books. It was done for the sake of having an interesting experience.

So I am more interested in the beer than in the book. ;)

Edited by carleenp