Geocache Engagement

Otter Squad

Tom and I have been geocaching for about 2 years now and absolutely love it. On September 4, 2004 it took on a whole new meaning. We have been dating for 4 and half years now and each summer we go camping with his family to a private lake. You have to either own a beat up truck or four-wheeler to get in there, so we always enjoy a weekend to ourselves. It's the most perfect place in the world to spend a vacation and we look forward to it every year. Tom and I went to leave on Friday the 3rd and he asked if I had noticed where someone had put a geocache lately. I hadn't of course and he showed me "Rainbows End" which happened to be located right where we were going camping. I was furious that someone had put a cache there, thinking so many people would come across "our spot" now. He had to listen to me go on about this for the rest of the night and into the next morning. We decided to find the cache Saturday the 4th in the hopes of being first finders. I was looking forward to trading the batteries that were in the cache because my book light had gone out the night before. We head down by the lake and I find the cache, sign the log book, and start to look through the items to trade. The last thing I find in the cache is a box wrapped in tissue paper, inside the box was not the batteries I was looking for, but instead an engagement ring! Tom got down on his knee and asked me to marry him, I of course said yes and our wedding is to be next October 8th. He had been planning this for months, trying to find the best way to pull this off. His orginal plan involved having a fellow geocacher in our area create a real cache listed on the site, but then make a fake one that would have the ring in it nearby so I would never know the difference. Well because the cache site is on DEC property Tom had to get a little creative. Being the computer whiz that he is, he copied the looks of the geocaching.com website and created a fake cache page on his computer to show me before we left. He ended up having to tell his parents (who were camping with us) because he needed their help hiding the cache before we arrived. That Friday before I got home from work Tom went and asked my parents permission, while his parents left for camp and hid the cache. I was totally surprised and I still can't believe it happened! It proves a point that you can find anything in a geocache! :o