Where Might A Muggle Report A Problem Cache?

globalgirl

Please correct me if I'm missing something here, but... As a relative noobie (40+ caches found) who's about to (ever-so-carefully) place her first cache, it occurs to me that...

While we have these great stash sheets that alert stray muggles who happen upon a cache, as well as advises: "If this container needs to be removed for any reason, please let us know..." (via a notation of the geocaching.com site address), when a said innocent finder reaches the site's home page - how do they know what to do? How to report a problem cache?

Yes, the name of the cache is prominent on the cache container. And yes, I can include my username, but... Just seems to me that folks not familiar with it all, would be quite confused as to where to click to report a problem. They may well not know how to search/find the particular cache, and once there, they surely wouldn't know to post a log, nor necessarily how to email the cache owner. Similarily, they're not likely to know to search for the username/email that user directly.

It seems the only option they have is to click the wee "contact us" on the geocaching.com entry page. But that doesn't seem too very helpful/inviting. Just seems that encouraging folks to report a problem cache is surely important enough to merit its own "click here to report a problem cache" (or some such) on the entry page, no?

Or is it there somewhere and I just can't find it?

I think that if a "Report Problem Cache here" is added, it'll only be opening the door for abuse. Cachers who have vendettas against other cachers (and, yes, I know of several of these instances) might use it to report all of their caches. If a muggle truly has a problem with a cache, they'll have the initiative to use the "Contact Us" link. No need to add a negative link on there!

I think that if a "Report Problem Cache here" is added, it'll only be opening the door for abuse. Cachers who have vendettas against other cachers (and, yes, I know of several of these instances) might use it to report all of their caches. If a muggle truly has a problem with a cache, they'll have the initiative to use the "Contact Us" link. No need to add a negative link on there!

I would think that the people in charge of responding to that would catch on and the person submitting fake reports would be disciplined in some manner.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

To answer the first question - If you are concerned include your email address, or your name, or your phone number, or all of the above. I have seen all of that in caches before.

This will cut out the middle man (GC.com) - the problem cache is the OWNERS problem, not GC.com's...

sd

To answer the first question - If you are concerned include your email address, or your name, or your phone number, or all of the above.  I have seen all of that in caches before.

This will cut out the middle man (GC.com) - the problem cache is the OWNERS problem, not GC.com's...

When I previously hit the reply button, I meant to point that out also, but it never made it through my fingers to the keyboard. Thank you, southdeltan, for bringing it up.

As cache maintenance (and removal if necessary) is the cache owners responsibility, including your own contact information (at least an email) does cut out the middleman.

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to remember to archive the cache page if you do have to remove a cache (or hear that it's been removed). Its very upsetting to a land manager to have removed a cache that's in a sensitive area, only to find cachers continuing to search for the (removed) cache for months and months. Yes, I have heard of that happening.

I added a line to bottom of my cache sheet that says :

If you have any questions or concerns about this container, e-mail me at: briansnat@att.net

That should be good enough.

Brian thats a great Idea. Im going to use it. One question, When someone e-mails you about one of my caches do you just forward the e-mail to me?

;):P;)

[sorry brian, at 4:58 in the morning it seemed funny]

As cache maintenance (and removal if necessary) is the cache owners responsibility, including your own contact information (at least an email) does cut out the middleman.

Just as it is the cache owner's responsibility to abide by the guidelines of the listing service, it is the listing service's responsibility to field correspondence related to the caches it lists. They know where and how to contact the cache owner if an issue needs to be addressed.

Edited to include the pertinent reference from the stash note available on geocaching.com:

... Visit our website if you want to learn more, or have any comments:

http://www.geocaching.com ...

Of course, anyone who wishes to "cut out the middleman" can delete that section from the stash note they use and provide their personal information.

Edited by BassoonPilot