Locationless Cache Guidelines

Skully & Mulder et al.

To claim a find on a locationless cache, you usually must take the coordinates of the location of the "find" and include them in your "Found it" log. You also need to post a picture with your log of the object/location you are claiming with your GPSr in the frame. You should consult the cache page for any locationless you intend to log to be sure what the cache owner requires. Some require additional information/history on the location or object you are using to claim your find. Also, in most instances, once a location or object has been claimed by a 'cacher as a find, others may not also use it to claim a find. You also can post a find for a locationless cache only once although there are a couple of exceptions that allow multiple finds. Hope this helps.

From the Geocache Listing Requirements/Guidelines:

Locationless Cache Logging Guidelines:

Without exception, logging a locationless cache find requires (real) coordinates. Logs without coordinates will be deleted.

Persons logging a “find” are expected to comply with the requirements stated by the poster, including remaining on topic, providing original photos if so requested, and providing a level of descriptive detail consistent with the example.

Beyond that general guidance, it is pretty much up to the owner of the locationless cache. Some, for example, allow multiple finds of the same object by different geocachers, while others allow multiple finds by the same finder of different objects meeting the cache criteria.

What about logging archived locationless caches? Is that possible?

the answer is yes, you can hit the "log a find" button. whether the owner will give it the boot is another question, and that seems to vary from owner to owner. speaking from my own experience, I dont allow them unless a) I'm asked first and ;) theres a compelling reason to do so. I generally give advance notice if i'm archiving a LC and once I close it, its closed, period. I occasionally gives someone an ok, bearing in mind the two things I just stated. If a log sudddenly appears, I ask them to change it to a note. This way, if ever decide to reopen it, they can then change the note to a find.

of course most archived LC are not shown, so knowing about them, and finding them may proven interesting.

Are there any established guidelines for these caches.

My specific question is: Is it appropriate to retrospectivly log a locationless cache. For example - I have a cache by the Bearfort fire tower with a picture of Autumn in front of the tower from 2 years ago - is it ok to log this as a find withoiut going back a taking a new picture. In my head, I say "no", I should go back and take a new picture and get the exact tudes. Just wondering what most people would do with these locationless caches.

As long as the GPS is in the picture as required, and you have the picture of the cache without the GPS as required, you should be OK. Of course, those of us reading this thread will harass you about it a little, but do you really care what we think? ;)

I say log it, and see what the cache owner says. On a locationless, it is really their call.

As far as I know, there is no rule requiring that you post your LC (or any other cache) find contemporaneously - it's a good idea to do it though to prevent another 'cacher from claiming the object/location in the interim. As long as you have the coordinates and the old picture of the fire tower includes your GPSr, a two-year old find should still qualify. The owner of the locationless cache may disagree however so you may want to send him/her an email to confirm before going to the trouble of posting your find.

As long as the GPS is in the picture as required, and you have the picture of the cache without the GPS as required, you should be OK. Of course, those of us reading this thread will harass you about it a little, but do you really care what we think? ;)

I say log it, and see what the cache owner says. On a locationless, it is really their call.

I kind of expected to get killed on this idea of posting finds retrospectivly - I can't believe it hasn't happened yet. We only have a few locationless caches to date but I recently decided to go and do as many as I can - just wondering how to go about it - go & get them with a specific purpose in mind ... or search through old pictures to post my "find".

I kind of expected to get killed on this idea of posting finds retrospectivly - I can't believe it hasn't happened yet.  We only have a few locationless caches to date but I recently decided to go and do as many as I can - just wondering how to go about it - go & get them with a specific purpose in mind ...

OK, the here you go... that is the type of pointless number fluffing I would expect from Team Bam Bam, but not you Skully... Shame on you for even trying it! ;)

OK? Feel better now? ;)

Edited by BMSquared