No New Virtual Caches?

Paleo1

I am unsure why this specific cache the archive note was written in the way it was written, but we do still allow virtual caches that meet guidelines.

But as the cache listing guidelines state, physical caches are the basis of the activity. Virtual caches were created due to the inaccessibility of caching in areas that discourage it. Please keep that in mind when submitting your cache reports.

Of course no one cares what I think but I'll put my two cents in anyway. I have enjoyed all the virtual caches I have found. They have taken me to beautiful works of art, scenic views, historic graveyards, and the like. I have always walked away from a virtual feeling I have seen or learned something valuable. I can not say the same for traditional caches. They have taken me to pay phones in truck stops, an illegal dump site behind a warehouse, the parking lot of a soccer club, and (my personal least favorite) under a sticky, wasp infested metal trash can in an ice cream store parking lot. Occasionally, someone will put some thought into their cache location and I get to enjoy someplace interesting but many caches seem to be hidden for the enjoyment of the hider, not the finder. If this matter is up for debate I'd like to lobby strongly for the continuation of virtuals. People who don't want to hunt them should skip them but at least leave the option open for cachers like me who prefer them. There is enough room in the sport for both kinds of caches.

Of course no one cares what I think but I'll put my two cents in anyway. I have enjoyed all the virtual caches I have found. They have taken me to beautiful works of art, scenic views, historic graveyards, and the like. I have always walked away from a virtual feeling I have seen or learned something valuable. I can not say the same for traditional caches. They have taken me to pay phones in truck stops, an illegal dump site behind a warehouse, the parking lot of a soccer club, and (my personal least favorite) under a sticky, wasp infested metal trash can in an ice cream store parking lot. Occasionally, someone will put some thought into their cache location and I get to enjoy someplace interesting but many caches seem to be hidden for the enjoyment of the hider, not the finder. If this matter is up for debate I'd like to lobby strongly for the continuation of virtuals. People who don't want to hunt them should skip them but at least leave the option open for cachers like me who prefer them. There is enough room in the sport for both kinds of caches.

I think Hydee's reply above your's pretty much sums up this website's current position on virtual caches. I've logged plenty of physical caches, AND plenty of virtuals. There are good and bad examples of each out there. In my travels I've seen (and logged) virtuals for a ice cream store, a fire hydrant, a rock, a hair salon, a hill where people fly radio control gliders, a rusted car in the woods, a rusted trolley in the woods, a girl scout cookie sign, a hill, a sidewalk in a shopping market, a deli, a highway overpass, and plenty of others, most of which left me with a feeling of "I came all the way here for THIS? Well, at least it's a smiley, I guess." At the other end of the spectrum, out of my personal top 5% of caches I've done, there are plenty of virtuals. There are virtuals on my "must do" list.

My point is there are crappy caches of every type, and there are great caches of every type.

I used to read that most places considered for a virtual could be used in a multi & for the most part probably true. However there are exceptions & this cache would fall under that catagory. If the location had been used for a multi most folks wouldn't take the time to look around to see such an interesting area & since it's a "State Park" type place a traditional would be out of the question. Thankfully virts get us out to these places.

Mopar did sum it up very well, there's good'uns & bad'uns in all cache types. :)