Paypal

Rogue_monkey

I've had an account since the first couple of months they were in business. I've had basically no problems. I once made a payment that didn't get sent, but this finally got cleared up. I haven’t lost any money. I've read about problems where something's wrong with the item purchased and the buyer couldn't get the situation corrected and couldn’t get his money back. If you buy directly with a credit card you have protection. Though PayPal tries to make you think you have the same protection with them, what I've read says you don't. I don't make large purchases with PayPal. I have sold items for as much as $1200, but like I say, selling is safer than buying.

What does this have to do with geocaching?

Edited by Thot
I've had an account since the first couple of months they were in business. I've had basically no problems. I once made a payment that didn't get sent, but this finally got cleared up. I haven’t lost any money. I've read about problems where something's wrong with the item purchased and the buyer couldn't get the situation corrected and couldn’t get his money back. If you buy directly with a credit card you have protection. Though PayPal tries to make you think you have the same protection with them, what I've read says you don't. I don't make large purchases with PayPal. I have sold items for as much as $1200, but like I say, selling is safer than buying.

What does this have to do with geocaching?

Most of Geocaching products like TB dog tags and premium membership have the option of paying with paypal.

I never managed to validate my AMEX card, although I didn't understand what I did wrong, and it all resulted PayPal blocking my card. After many email queries and investigation they just told me something like sorry, but it's blocked, no can do.

I still needed to make that payment, so I tried my wife's MasterCard, which was validated very easily. (I can't see what I did differently with my AMEX). I managed to pay that transaction, but decided not to use the service any more. (Not that I had any choice, my card is blocked. :() Nowadays I choose to use other methods of payment, or if there aren't such, I'll find the product somewhere else or won't have it at all.

Me either, been using them a long time and never really had a major issue.

was one time i bought something on an ebay auction and payed with paypal, the item was damaged and the seller who was a pawn shop (ccloan is a crook BTW), refused to do anything about it, i notified paypal and they said it was between us, so i called my c company and had the charge reversed. i got email from paypal saying i should of tried to work it out through them first, i forwarded there email back to them that stated we should ork it out on our own and never heard back from them after that.

for a while i was selling a klot of stuf on ebay and i even have a paypal check card that i used to spend money from the acct with, use it alot at the post office to mail stuff...

i just checked it says i have been a member since April 13, 2000 and im a verified member..

No problems...quick fast secure....but a bit pricey....just sold a GPS for 302 pounds and paid 12 pounds fees! Does for me.....

Seller Reputation: (45) Verified Buyers

Account Status: Verified

Account Type: German Premier

Account Creation Date: 29. Dec. 2000

PayPal Member For: 3 years 8 months

Edited by Garmin Guy
If you want horror stories. you can go to this website:

NoPayPal

There are horror stories for everything.

I have a co-worker who got ripped off on an eBay auction that wasn't. In the end and after everything was done the seller got her kicked off eBay by making false allegations. Even after many appeals, she is still blocked.

People have bad experiences with just about anything.

I'm a PayPal-er, too! I love the service when buying & selling on ebay. As noted above, be careful of spoof emails -- never enter your personal information in email forms as you could have your bank acct. emptied! If you use it as a buyer fees aren't an issue. As a seller you have options. Also, they want you to add your checking acct. for instant payments since it saves them $. I have my checking acct. on my PayPal acct., but I usually use my credit card on in since c.c. companies typically offer great protection. Finally, use an extra secure password, not your everyday one. Good luck!

The email spoofs are getting VERY good. I was looking at one the other day and everything looked legit, even all of the headers except one of the routing addresses and the address in the link you were supposed to click. It got past my filters.

Obviously, I didn't respond because PayPal said they don't send those kinds of emails out. I logged in manually. If there is any problem, like needing you to update your info, it'll pop up as soon as you log in. Guess what, it didn't.

I'd say that goes for 99% percent of all businesses. They won't send you those kind of emails. Never respond directly. Log on manually.

The email spoofs are getting VERY good. I was looking at one the other day and everything looked legit, even all of the headers except one of the routing addresses and the address in the link you were supposed to click. It got past my filters.

Obviously, I didn't respond because PayPal said they don't send those kinds of emails out. I logged in manually. If there is any problem, like needing you to update your info, it'll pop up as soon as you log in. Guess what, it didn't.

I'd say that goes for 99% percent of all businesses. They won't send you those kind of emails. Never respond directly. Log on manually.

I also receive these spoof emails all the time, I believe its called phishing. I get emails claiming to come from paypal and ebay all the time. They are incredibly legit looking and I would hate to know the number of people that are falling for these. I always forward them to either spoof@paypal.com or spoof@ebay.com so they know about it. You will also get a response back telling you whether it was a legit email or not.

I have been known to click on the links for those fake PayPal emails and fill in the credit card info with fake data. I figure as long as they haven't been shut down I'll pollute their data.

What helps in the identification of the fakes that I use a different email address for my PayPal stuff than I do for my eBay stuff; both of those are separate from my day-to-day email address. So, when I receive a "PayPal needs you to update your info!" email, on my eBay email account, I know it was mined from eBay and therefore a scam.