Am I The Only One?

SeventhSon

"Lame" threads seem to be more and more popular lately, and I always wanted to ask, so now I am ...

Every cache I've searched has given me exactly what I have always expected from geocaching ... a hunt. Some are easy, some not so easy, some take more than one trip. But, in each case, I've enjoyed the hunt. When I left the house, I didn't know where it was, and, hopefully, when I got home, I did.

I've never been too interested in the trip to the cache location. A cache with a side order of scenery is kewl, if I even notice. A scenic route with a cache thrown in to get me there, well, I'll probably miss the point because I'm in cacher mode.

I don't have a massive amount of finds (89 at press time) so maybe it hasn't hit me yet. If there's a magic find count that turns me into a cache critic, let me know what it is ... I'll stay below it :bad:

I'm not sure if this makes me a purist, or just simple minded :laughing: but I was just curious if I was the only one who enjoys this career in it's simplest form. I don't care what it's in, or where it's at, just as long as it's not where I'm at, so I have to hunt it :bad:

sometimes I want to "hunt" and at other times I want to hike and find a "kewl" view. Others want just one or the other.

You will never please them all so just do what pleases you!

I have what some would consider a lame grab and dash in a park not 20 feet from a parking spot and rr tracks and less than 500 feet from another cache and one that require an hour and more to hike in too in wilderness areas and another where a movie was shot in 1961 and left a steam engine sitting in the river for over 40 years. Another (built in 1958) requires a 1.5 mile hike in, to a private concrete structure built in the woods for the viewing pleasure of the owner.

Again you will never please them all just please yourself.

Well, I have to say, we have a semi grab and dash, and people seem to enjoy being able to do one that isn't too demanding. And right now, I don't mind those considering I have been having knee problems. I hope people remember that not everyone can go "whack-bushing"(that one is my daughter's saying, haha). There should be caches for all types of people! Everyone should be able to join in the fun, at least that is what I am thinking!!!!

"Lame" threads seem to be more and more popular lately, and I always wanted to ask, so now I am ...

A cache with a side order of scenery is kewl, if I even notice. A scenic route with a cache thrown in to get me there, well, I'll probably miss the point because I'm in cacher mode.

I don't have a massive amount of finds (89 at press time) so maybe it hasn't hit me yet. If there's a magic find count that turns me into a cache critic, let me know what it is ... I'll stay below it  :laughing:

If you've ever been in an area where one type of hide constitutes the great majority of the hides, you might understand the problem. Suppose most geocaches required 10 mile hikes to complete them. Would you still cache? I wouldn't. I can't quite hack that distance.

At the other extreme, don't you think it might get kind of boring if all of the local hides are more or less easter-egg hunts - extremely simple caches, all hidden in fairly similar ways.

So why does that make traditional caches inherently less lame than micros? It doesn't. I personally enjoy finding nice locations, and I don't care if it's a micro or a traditional. It's quite possible to hide an ammocan in a horrible location that many, if not most will not enjoy. I've found some caches that just sucked bigtime. Indeed, one I adopted was a traditional that was (and still is) in a fairly lame location, in a leaky container, with total crap contents and a post-it note log. (I replaced the container, CITO'd the contents and replaced them with better ones, and put in a real log. It was really, really a lame cache when I got it.) There is nothing inherently wrong with micros EXCEPT:

1. Most people can not hide a couple of dozen ammocan type caches in a day. I'm sure there's someone out there who just slings 'em out super fast - but most people don't. If a person chose to hide all lamp post caches, in most metropolitan areas they could easily hide dozens of identical caches in a day.

2. In many areas, the bulk of the new cache hides are not long hikes to generic or worse locations terminating in crap filled gladware containers that were never water tight, and are on the way to having moldy contents and a soggy logbook. Many would call such traditional caches 'lame.' No, in some places many of the hides are trivial park-n-grabs that involve maybe a 50' walk from the car and a hiding technique that would be pretty surprising if the last 8 caches you just finished hadn't used the exact same trick. It's really is like this some places. It may not be that way in your area - if not - hurray!

Micros do not have to be lame. I've done some terrific ones. As I said, any kind of cache can be lame. Sometimes a park-n-grab is a great thing. But areas flooded with hundreds of near identical, fairly low quality caches are not a good thing for this game in the long run, in my opinion. The danger is that after a while, that's all there will be.

I have reached my limit. This thread did it for me.

:laughing: If one more cacher uses the word "kewl", I think I will hurl. Ooooh, I can't believe I typed it.

OT: To an extent, I understand. You and I don't have to hunt the same ones. An hour is the most any cache in our area could ever take, but I'd do a lot more. I have a couple of 5 min. finds, too, but I'm not salivatin' for those.

I have reached my limit. This thread did it for me.

:laughing: If one more cacher uses the word "kewl", I think I will hurl. Ooooh, I can't believe I typed it.

OT: To an extent, I understand. You and I don't have to hunt the same ones. An hour is the most any cache in our area could ever take, but I'd do a lot more. I have a couple of 5 min. finds, too, but I'm not salivatin' for those.

you mean yer gunna puwk?

I don't have a massive amount of finds (89 at press time) so maybe it hasn't hit me yet. If there's a magic find count that turns me into a cache critic, let me know what it is ... I'll stay below it 

Oh, you mean when you gain all of your caching wisdom, and can begin down the useful and appreciated road of criticizing any cache that doesn't meet your personal approval? I've noticed that some folks accumulate wisdom very quickly and are able to do this after their first few finds. If they strike one of your caches, make sure you listen to them and change your cache until it satisfies them, or remove it completely if they determine it has no place at all. You just have to accept that they are better than you, they have the "pulse" of the other cachers, and they know what caches satisfy the vast majority of other cachers. :laughing:

No, you're not.

Good answer :laughing: even tho I already knew I wasn't alone.

I'm hoping more who think like this will come along and share their ideas and outlooks. We definately seem to be outnumbered. :bad:

I'm not trying to change anyone's view or help them "see the light", I just do what I do and was curious to hear from others who look at it the same way. That would be kule.

I don't have a massive amount of finds (89 at press time) so maybe it hasn't hit me yet. If there's a magic find count that turns me into a cache critic, let me know what it is ... I'll stay below it  :laughing:

Anyone with less finds than me is too inexperienced. Anyone with more finds than me has too much spare time and cannot possibly understand the real world. (This goes for forum posts as well)

My number of finds is perfect and therefore my opinion is perfect follow follow ME.

:bad::bad::D

When we first started caching 2½ years ago just finding a cache, any cache, was KEWL. The thrill of the hunt was the main thing and it didnt matter what kind of cache or where it was hidden. Well, our feelings have changed somewhat over time and our caching has too. A variety of things have entered the picture, such as distance needed to drive for finding an unfound cache, gas prices, and just the fact that we have other things going in life besides caching. Now we plan our cache trips more thoroughly and tend to go for what we think might be the more challenging, better hidden, KEWL, or better scenic view type caches. Just for the record, doesnt matter if its a regular or micro,,, both are KEWL to find when they are placed well.

That being said, there are still times when an easy 1/1 quickie or even a virtual is just what the doctor ordered. Variety, just another one of the things that make geocaching so KEWL!

Oh heck, i hope i didnt get a barfarama started! Sorry Robe :(

I like the hunt - I've always liked the hunt, it's loads of fun. But I also want to be taken to a place that's special, in whatever way. Whether it be a traditional cache on a woodsy hike, or a micro near an old church. Something of interest.

This past summer we were in Halifax and did three caches by a person who had hidden them in what could only be called an urban wasteland. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to bring us there. (They've since been archived).

- hamgran

When we first started caching 2½ years ago just finding a cache, any cache, was KEWL. The thrill of the hunt was the main thing and it didnt matter what kind of cache or where it was hidden. Well, our feelings have changed somewhat over time and our caching has too. A variety of things have entered the picture, such as distance needed to drive for finding an unfound cache, gas prices, and just the fact that we have other things going in life besides caching. Now we plan our cache trips more thoroughly and tend to go for what we think might be the more challenging, better hidden, KEWL, or better scenic view type caches. Just for the record, doesnt matter if its a regular or micro,,, both are KEWL to find when they are placed well.

That being said, there are still times when an easy 1/1 quickie or even a virtual is just what the doctor ordered. Variety, just another one of the things that make geocaching so KEWL!

Oh heck, i hope i didnt get a barfarama started! Sorry Robe :mad:

Yeah, what Mudfrog said!!! LOL.

Mac