Ammo Cans Make For Lazy Hiders....

Cracker.

I think we need another rule that bans the use of larger cache containers.

I'm SOoooo tired of being disappointed at the end of a cache hunt that is listed with a difficulty less than 3, and is listed as being in an ammo can or 1 gallon plastic jug. These always seem to be just thrown under a thicket of thorn or berry bushes, or stuffed under the most obvious deadfall, always with a pile of parallel sticks laid across the top of it, and half the word "geocache" still visible from 20ft away.

I think these types of containers bring out the LAZY hiders....I mean how hard is it to throw a full-size logbook, (that doesnt fit in a ziploc), and a bunch of used preschoolers' and kindergardeners' toys, (and lets not forget the used golf balls, and food, water, chapstick, etc) into a box, throw it under a bush or log and throw sticks over it?

I think we need to abolish these types of hides, they are killing our game....

They also lead to muggles learning about geocaching, and get cachers in trouble when they are discovered on public land, where they should not be, and give us bad press when the local bomb squad has to come blow them up....

How many micros have you heard complaints from muggles about, or heard of needing to be blown up by the bomb squad?

I think we need to make another rule that ONLY micros are allowed as caches, and nothing less than a difficulty 3 allowed.

This should keep the lazy hiders, as WELL as the lazy cachers who cant find the energy to walk more than 1/3mi out into the woods, or to spend more than 15mins looking for a cache, or being able to think up something more original or practical to hide or re-hide the cache with than parrallel sticks or leaves, (which blow away, anyway), from ruining our game any further....

Well, I guess you can tell from my completely ignorant rant above, that I think people need to quit the D@MN whining about the different types and sizes of caches and hides.

Hunt the ones YOU want to or not, and leave the others to those who DO....

Its ONLY A GAME, PEOPLE!!!

It seems lately in my area, I've only been satisfied with the micros, decon containers, and mystery caches, as well as the higher difficulties.

I've been surprised many times going after caches hidden by, or seen them found AFTER being logged by EXPERIENCED, as well as newbie cachers, and finding them to be COMPLETELY lame, or left out in the open, or not sealed properly....

If you have a problem with lame caches, whatever they may be, take it up with the cache owners directly. If that achieves nothing, then notify your admins, or better yet, your local geocaching group, to take steps to either FIX or ARCHIVE the LAME caches....

I'd be interested in seeing some feedback on some caches placed by the people who do most of the finger-pointing and whining, to see if they are just as guilty of lame cache hides as the ones they complain about....

Usually, people who do most of the complaining seem to me to be the ones who shouldnt be throwing stones at glass houses....

This all comes to EDUCATION.....

I am sure we can ALL agree that there are some BASIC things that bug us all...

We need to make sure that we pass on to newbies, and it seems experienced cachers as well, basic things NOT to do.

We also need to NOT let ourselves become so narrow minded and rule-mongering that we do not allow people the freedom to place or cache how they see fit (as long as they hide RESPONSIBLY).

If you have reason to whine about a cache hide, you need to think about WHY it bothers you, and do something constructive to correct it, or just forget it and move on.

WHINING and asking for more rules WILL NOT ACCOMPLISH anything, other than PO-ing people off, and getting the game more limited than it already is.

Well, if this post gets me banned, so be it....

Its my 2¢ worth, and I'll stick by it....

Well said - lame micros under lamp posts - not my cup of tea, but I've developed a geosense that allows me to usually wean them out by the description.

Micros = good in general

normal caches = good in general

My current dislike is, as you state in your post, a cache thrown under rocks or sticks in a completely unmemorable spot, usually litter strewn and 200 yards from the car.

Lame is as lame does, whatever that means

Ok....I guess my biting, sarcastic humor didnt go over well...

After seeing many threads complaining about micros, and before that it was virtuals, and before that it was ????, etc etc....I just felt like stating my 2¢ in my own thread.....

Sure, I've seen lots of lame caches, and I've warned other cachers about them, or notified the cache owner with my thoughts....Has any of it made a difference?...who knows....I know if something bothered me, I made an attempt to fix it, or I just got over it....I DIDNT try to get this game more regulated and limited by whining in the forums....

(There IS a difference between throwing an issue out for discussion and whining, altho it may be a fine one...)

Basically, I'm just saying people need to chill out, and quit trying to get more rules made, and trying to get specific types and sizes of caches banned or regulated....

It's JUST A GAME....

If you find (or hide) lame caches, then DO something positive about THAT SPECIFIC cache, or cacher....Or get over it....

I myself am progressing to where I rather enjoy a difficult micro, hidden in the woods (Oh My!), than to finding an ammo box hidden in the woods with a difficulty of 2 or 3....

If anything, I would ask if we could institute a higher star rating system....

I've been on caches with a 4.5/4.5 rating, and expected them to be harder than I found them to be....

I have a few ideas of my own for hides, but think a 4.5 or 5 might be too low...

Oh my.

Both of us were doubled over laughing at your OP. After reading the "we hate micros, ban 'em" threads, this was quite refreshing. And yes, at times, I agree. There are many regular caches that are lame. Ive gone to many regular ones that Ive enjoyed, like Panda77's Cache is in the Mail......Box. Lame caches are not limited to micros. Nor are good caches limited to regular ones. Please stop complaining about caches. Just because you dont like them dont assume others feel the same way.

Edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking
Ok....I guess my biting, sarcastic humor didnt go over well...

After seeing many threads complaining about micros, and before that it was virtuals, and before that it was ????, etc etc....I just felt like stating my 2¢ in my own thread.....

Sure, I've seen lots of lame caches, and I've warned other cachers about them, or notified the cache owner with my thoughts....Has any of it made a difference?...who knows....I know if something bothered me, I made an attempt to fix it, or I just got over it....I DIDNT try to get this game more regulated and limited by whining in the forums....

(There IS a difference between throwing an issue out for discussion and whining, altho it may be a fine one...)

Basically, I'm just saying people need to chill out, and quit trying to get more rules made, and trying to get specific types and sizes of caches banned or regulated....

It's JUST A GAME....

If you find (or hide) lame caches, then DO something positive about THAT SPECIFIC cache, or cacher....Or get over it....

I myself am progressing to where I rather enjoy a difficult micro, hidden in the woods (Oh My!), than to finding an ammo box hidden in the woods with a difficulty of 2 or 3....

If anything, I would ask if we could institute a higher star rating system....

I've been on caches with a 4.5/4.5 rating, and expected them to be harder than I found them to be....

I have a few ideas of my own for hides, but think a 4.5 or 5 might be too low...

OH NO not at all !!!

I thoght it was great!! It took me a few lines to realize you were poking at the micro banners - then I was all giggles and saying RIGHT ON DOOD!!!

looks like quite a few others like it too - nice job -

...maybe it behooves all of us to be a little more aware of placing lame caches -

That awareness helps you a lot when you do it on purpose. :P

you mean hide lame caches on purpose?

my goodness - now why would one hide a lame cache on purpose?

and pleeezz don't tell me something about it not having a leg to stand on -

arghhh.....

I'd be interested in seeing some feedback on some caches placed by the people who do most of the finger-pointing and whining, to see if they are just as guilty of lame cache hides as the ones they complain about....

Usually, people who do most of the complaining seem to me to be the ones who shouldnt be throwing stones at glass houses....

Help yourself

hay brain --

of course you know that when you point a finger at someone there are 4 other fingers pointing back at yourself - huh?

hmmm---- that's bad odds if you ask me !

Help yourself

hay brain --

of course you know that when you point a finger at someone there are 4 other fingers pointing back at yourself - huh?

hmmm---- that's bad odds if you ask me !

????

true...lame caches exist in micros and regulars. But what's lame to one person might not be lame to another person.

Yeah, there are actually people who enjoy making their way through a garbage strewn lot to find a cache among the feces, discarded syringes, used condoms and empty liquor bottles next to a homeless encampment. Seriously, there are people who think that's grand...but not most of us (I think).

Edited by briansnat
Yeah, there are actually people who enjoy making their way through a garbage strewn lot to find a cache among the feces, discarded syringes, used condoms and empty liquor bottles next to a homeless encampment. Seriously, there are people who think that's grand...but not most of us (I think).

Are there really micros out there attached to dumpsters? Could you post some, I would like to read the logs.

true...lame caches exist in micros and regulars. But what's lame to one person might not be lame to another person.

Except for the feces that does sound cool.

I never quite understood that line.

If, for example, I point at something with my right hand my index finger is pointing at the intended object, my thumb is pointing forward and down about 45 degrees, and my other three fingers are pointing roughly to my right.

I have asked others to point at things and they all have done it the same way, with minor variations.

That seems to be one of those lines that sound good until you think about it.

heheheheehe.... :P just 'bout made soda come out my nose again.

I wholeheartedly agree. I promise to shut the H$%# up about any types of caches....I made a lame attempt at a dig at someone for being sadistic (his words!!:)) and well, nm.

no matter what, good and bad is all in your head, all what you make of it, all relative. thanks Cracker.

So I am gathering my stuff for my first cache. I am getting what I think is really cool stuff lol. My placement will be in a location that is not easy to get to and requires a bit of effort to even get to the trail. Is there anyway that I can "help" to ensure that Mctoys do not end up in it? I doubt it. I have seen people exchange quarters for things that are much more expensive/unique. I guess that is ok though to most people? I just don't want to loose all my cool stuff for not so cool stuff THEN be accused of having a lame cache lol. Make sense? Does this make me a cache snob?

no, it does not make you a cache snob. What is a not good in my opinion is that there is truth in what you say, someone will accuse you and that is not ok. there shouldn't be that accusation in the first place.

of course there will be, people will be that way, but in the situation you present, that is where I read the dukkha originating from....not from you

No, the wit and sarcasm were not wasted on everyone. I was surprised to see that some were confused, perhaps they did not finish reading. Novel attack.

I've said it before: You and I don't have to hunt the same ones. On the other hand, if I lived in certain areas I'd have stronger feelings. As things grow here, I hope we can develop a group which encourages good caches.

Briansnat: nice link, good looking bunch. You have plenty parks.

Yeah, there are actually people who enjoy making their way through a garbage strewn lot to find a cache among the feces, discarded syringes, used condoms and empty liquor bottles next to a homeless encampment.

Hey Brian, have you been following the series of articles in the Bergen Record this week about the Passaic River? A writer kayaked the entire length of the river, and has had some pretty interesting observations.

In today's article, he writes about his experiences from above the Great Falls to below Dundee Dam. He even included a map showing the locations of all the homeless encampments ... lots of cache-hiding territory just waiting to be exploited!

OT: (Exploited by lazy hiders using ammo cans, of course.)

Edited by BassoonPilot
So I am gathering my stuff for my first cache.  I am getting what I think is really cool stuff lol.  My placement will be in a location that is not easy to get to and requires a bit of effort to even get to the trail.  Is there anyway that I can "help" to ensure that Mctoys do not end up in it?  I doubt it.  I have seen people exchange quarters for things that are much more expensive/unique.  I guess that is ok though to most people?  I just don't want to loose all my cool stuff for not so cool stuff THEN be accused of having a lame cache lol.  Make sense?  Does this make me a cache snob?

NO WAY! Does that make you a cache snob!

junked caches - especially my own - is about my one real rant.

To keep this on topic - it does not matter if it is an ammo can or what - a good cache can easily be degraded to a lame cache by lame caches who don't care about the area and/or the cache itself.

It makes you a concerned cacher who wants to present a good cache and keep it that way. At least that's how I look at it.

Edited by CompuCash

Oh man, this entire thread had me laughing hysterically. Cracker, your OP was just right on the mark...and it's nice to see such an eloquent example of my opinion.

I think we need to collectively work on bringing up the standard of the caches out there. Lameness is pervasive across cache types. Anyone can hide a box under a pile of leaves, or a hide-a-key under a bus stop bench. Heck, I even did a virtual recently (a NEW virtual mind you) that asked you to read a sign directing you to a parking lot, and which we didn't even need to slow down the car to read.

Come on people, put in some effort. It's not THAT difficult to find at least SOMETHING interesting to take people to, or to find something interesting (or at least clever) to write about in your cache page.

That said, I think there IS some sort of redeeming value in seeing how lame you can make a cache...especially if you can make the cache page as humorous and tongue-in-cheek as the cache linked to above (I can't wait to find it the next time I'm in Phoenix). Something funny like that alone demonstrates to me that the hider at least gave some consideration to where it would be placed.

According to my wife, I'm quite possibly the laziest person alive... Anyways, laziness in this sports shows up everywhere. Lame placements, unmaintained caches, and incorrect descriptions on the webpages, just to name a few.

not logging finds online that you found months ago in other states. :laughing::bad::bad: I STILL need to log our finds from W. 151st in Kansas.

Help yourself

Umm OK I will. You mean like this one? :bad: It might have been scenic on another day, but when I logged my DNF back in Feb. the snow was driving so hard I could barely make out the lake shoreline 15' away. Tried to dig away at the plowpack along the rail by hand, but nnnooo luck. Rental cars don't come with shovels as optional equipment either. So not only was this cache lame, but it was a lame guardrail hide too! :laughing::bad::P:D

EDIT for PS: I got the wit Cracker. I too almost lost lunch in the giggles.Remember this thread from last month? :D

Edited by wimseyguy
I think we need another rule that bans the use of larger cache containers.

I'm SOoooo tired of being disappointed at the end of a cache hunt that is listed with a difficulty less than 3, and is listed as being in an ammo can or 1 gallon plastic jug. These always seem to be just thrown under a thicket of thorn or berry bushes, or stuffed under the most obvious deadfall, always with a pile of parallel sticks laid across the top of it, and half the word "geocache" still visible from 20ft away.

Heh. You obviously haven't tried mine yet. C'mon out and visit, and I'll buy ya a latte'...

its just a hobby not every one will like every thing about it.My wife dont like to look for micros so I look for them when shes not with me.As for lame caches I get to log a find so its not considered lame to me.I found it I logged it thats what my goal was.

Are there really micros out there attached to dumpsters? Could you post some, I would like to read the logs.

This may be the most famous of them all

(notice that it's in 2 logs due to the truly epic journey not able to be summarized in one)