complaints about easy finds

bigbill6

I hate when someone complains that a cache i put out

was to easy to find.It has happened twice now.Im 67 years old,

had heart surgery,cancer surgery,and i have a bad back.Yet i have gone after and found 2and 3 star caches.Im in good shape,but pass the stage of playing mountain goat.I have 22 caches out there,and none of them can be reached just by sticking your hand out the car window,many are at least a mile walk round trip,but i dont hang off mountains any more.

It seems to me that if you see a 2 star cache,stay away from it...but dont complain.I still think you young guys could use a break once in a while and get an easy one.I wiil continue to put them out..so good hunting.

Bill,

I just spent the last five or ten minutes looking through a number of logs on your easier caches. I didn't see any complaints at all. Are you getting them through email?

The only thing I found is several comments about finding the cache easily. That's not a complaint in my book. That's just a description of the hunters experience.

Maybe I missed the complaints... but to me it looks like typical cache logs.

No big whoop.

Jamie

For bigbill6,

We were amazed to read your age and medical description. We have found five of your caches and believe that your difficulty rating are accurate. You have some nice hikes getting to them. We really enjoyed them.

It takes us 2 ½ hours to drive to the Silver Mine or Anthony Wayne parking areas in Harriman. Harriman is a great park, and your caches make it even better. The long trip is worth it. Only wish it was closer to home.

I can see three legit reasons for someone complaining about a cache. 1 - Illegally placed, 2- impacting the surounding area, 3 - poorly mantained. Anything else, you should tell them to bug off.

On the other hand, I've had people mention to me that a cache was too easily found. I took it as constructive criticism and I went back and hid it better.

It's all in the wording. If I received an e-mail on my new cache, from someone I've met at a picnic, saying "Dave, I saw this from the trail 50 feet away" then I'd be right out there to fix it, and would say thank you. That's just being helpful.

But, it sounds like our friend got one of those e-mails that put down the cache because it wasn't to their liking. They can suck on the eggs that BrianSnat will be getting in his Christmas stocking.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos?

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Bill, there you have it. I normally dismiss anything BassoonPilot says (smirk), but if he says they're good caches, I can only believe him.

Think twice before taking Jamie's word as gospel, Bill ... he is, after all, a man who doesn't know what to do with a half loaf of bread. icon_wink.gif

quote:
They can suck on the eggs that BrianSnat will be getting in his Christmas stocking.

I'm getting eggs this year? That's certainly an improvement!

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by bigbill6:

I hate when someone complains that a cache i put out was to easy to find. It has happened twice now.

Don't pay attention to them. As long as it isn't visible from 40 feet away, keep on placing them.

I have a very easy cache out, The Mighty Rio Grande, that is rated 3/1.5. The three is because it is hidden very well. I have received several E-mails telling me it is gone, but it is still there when I check it. The 1.5 could have been a 1.0, but the banks of the Rio Grande do get muddy sometimes, and a wheelchair would have problems only then.

The positive comments I have received about that cache has prompted me to make a decision. From now on, for every difficult cache I place for the real hardcore cachers, I will also place an easy one for the less physically capable and small children cachers.

Look for my next ones soon. The Nature Walk is the easy one. The Lost Aztec Treasure is the hard one. They could be posted tomorrow under zip code 79922. Keep up the good work. As one on here quotes, "Men don't stop playing cause they get old, they get old cause they stop playing".

Keep on caching!

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Bill has found quite a few spots to place caches that I wouldn't have otherwise visited.

That is important to keep in mind also.

I guess with any large community, people are here for their own reasons. And there will be extremes on the ends. Look at sking not everybody is jumping and spinning and doing other crazy things going down the mountain. But they are all enjoying it in their own way. To each his own but there really is no reason to complain about something being too easy if that is how it is rated.

Thanks for all your contributions. That is a bunch of work keeping that many caches maintained. Easy or not my hat is off to you and is accompined by a respectful bow.

although i have not searched for any of your caches bill, we live rigth on the other side of the Hudson River and my wife and i plan on taking a cache trip up the Palisades Interstate Pkwy. i look forward to doing those caches... i think that anyone who complains to you about your caches being to easy should go piss up a rope. dont let those people try and ruin the fun you have placing/finding geocaches. your enjoyment is just as important as our enjoyment. their critique of your work is worthless. i suggest that you not even dignify it with an answer. or, if you do answer, do so with several well placed explatives.

SR and dboggny.

9372_2600.jpg

You just keep up the good work! If they don't like it they should choose harder caches. I for one will be searching out your caches in the future. They are not that far away!

I hope you remain in good health.

Cache you later,

Planet

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Take it for a grain of salt and just ignore them. icon_razz.gif If they want it tougher then tell them to go plant one, and wait for some comments.

It takes some good plants to keep this game going and you sure have done that.

If they want some tougher ones send them to Colorado, I have some way back in and can do some more that are even a little farther in and up.

Keep up the good work.

Cache on

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.

It looks to me like we need cache difficulties at all levels. The only way a new cacher can get experience and be successful while doing so is to start with the easy ones and work up. Whoever complained about your difficulty level must have forgotten what it was like the first few times they tried to find a cache. icon_wink.gif

Lost? Keep going. You're making good time anyway!!

Let's not forget that lots of different people are cachers - and that all cachers are liable to go thru physical changes that may restrict their cache difficulty levels! My previously healthy son-in-law cacher has been injured to the point that a 1/1 is pushing his physical limits. But he certainly doesn't want to give up caching until he's more physically able to go back to harder caching. A virtual is great for him - at this point. No one HAS to go on any cache - be it a 5/5 or 1/1 or virtual. If you don't like it - don't go! No one's holding a gun to your head! By the way, we also placed a 1/1. Why? For a 9 year old girl with leukemia who couldn't take more than a few steps from the parking lot. Are we embarassed to place a 1/1 or a virtual? No Way! We also like quick easy caches sometimes - sore? tired? last cache of the day? Lots of reasons to keep 1/1 caches & virtuals!

I hate when someone complains that a cache i put out

was to easy to find.It has happened twice now.Im 67 years old,

had heart surgery,cancer surgery,and i have a bad back.Yet i have gone after and found 2and 3 star caches.Im in good shape,but pass the stage of playing mountain goat.I have 22 caches out there,and none of them can be reached just by sticking your hand out the car window,many are at least a mile walk round trip,but i dont hang off mountains any more.

It seems to me that if you see a 2 star cache,stay away from it...but dont complain.I still think you young guys could use a break once in a while and get an easy one.I wiil continue to put them out..so good hunting.

You took the trouble to place all those hides, and someone is clueless enough to COMPLAIN about it? That just seems so absurd to me. They're obviously not being forced to seek them against their will.

I don't know why those few cachers are being bungholes, but it looks to me like most are properly appreciative of your efforts. Keep on having fun! :)

Still going on... nine years later?

... and it still bothers you at 76 yrs?

Here I thought that people today expect easy-to-find caches.

Not sure why this was bumped up after all these years by the person currently using the account's name, as there were no comments posted with the resurrected post.

But the original account holder passed away 5 years ago.

Edited by Pup Patrol