How Many Pennsylvanians Are Here?

jkibbe

Hi Jason (and other PA cachers)! :laughing:

I'm Jim, and I'm new to geocaching. Actually, I'm so new that I don't even own a GPS yet! :anitongue: I had heard about geocaching from a friend a few years ago and it sounded cool, but I hadn't put any thought into actually doing it until this weekend. My wife, my one year old son, and I were out on a walk, and my son wanted to get out of the stroller and walk around a little. He goes crashing off through a pile of leaves next to the trail, and I noticed that he was kicking around a little green bottle. I thought it was too curious to just leave alone, so I opened it and found a rolled up baggie inside. At first I thought it was some marijuana or something, but then I saw that it was a note. As I opened it, I realized what it was, so I signed the log and put it back. I got home and looked up the area I was in to see if there were any caches nearby, and it turns out that this was one of a series and it had been missing for a while.

So I found my first cache and I don't even have a GPS! I'm so good at this... :laughing: I've now added a GPS to my Christmas list.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I'm in Hummelstown (Dauphin Co., near Hershey).

Edited by GoleeMD

Hello all. I'm new to geocaching, but it seems very interesting. I actually did my first one today :cry: , a virtual cache. Geocaching allows me to use my GPS for more than just a roadmap on my bike, which is where it is mounted most of the time.

I live in Greensburg, so if anyone else wants to get together for some caching fun, let me know. I know the Laurel Highlands quite well(I think), so I could be of some use if someone needed help.

Bob

Hello all. I'm new to geocaching, but it seems very interesting. I actually did my first one today :D , a virtual cache. Geocaching allows me to use my GPS for more than just a roadmap on my bike, which is where it is mounted most of the time.

I live in Greensburg, so if anyone else wants to get together for some caching fun, let me know. I know the Laurel Highlands quite well(I think), so I could be of some use if someone needed help.

Bob

spongebob218,

If you really want to get a sense for what geocaching can offer in the Laurel Highlands, check out caches by Quest Master. They will take you on great adventures to beautiful locations. You probably will need to get off your bike!

Southwest PA

I was recently out in the Pittsburgh are and picked up a couple caribiners with a key ring and attached was a 1 x 4 inch piece of stainless or aluminum that had "Pensylvania Geocacher" cut out of the metal. It is also numbered. I can not find out anything about these, or if they should be logged. They would make a nice key chain. Do you have any info on these?

jipsi59

I was recently out in the Pittsburgh are and picked up a couple caribiners with a key ring and attached was a 1 x 4 inch piece of stainless or aluminum that had "Pensylvania Geocacher" cut out of the metal. It is also numbered. I can not find out anything about these, or if they should be logged. They would make a nice key chain. Do you have any info on these?

jipsi59

Those keychains are made by "PA - Drifter" They are his sig item. He is a steel worker and hand makes them himself. They are awesome. He places one at each cache he visits, and his cache count is the number you found. His first 100 just said Pennsylvania Geocacher on rectangle piece of stainless, but his new style for 101+ says the same thing, but is shaped like the State.

Here is his profile that also has pics of his keychains.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=67...fa-34de52992e98

Edited by Guyute1210

Just curious how many Pennsylvanians post to these boards and geocache...

What region of the state are you from? Are you interesting in caching with others (me or others from PA)?

I'm from South Central PA... :)

-Jason

I'm originally from Somerset County, but I now live in Maryland.

Just curious how many Pennsylvanians post to these boards and geocache...

What region of the state are you from? Are you interesting in caching with others (me or others from PA)?

I'm from South Central PA... :P

-Jason

NEWB. Reside in Springfield, Delaware County - south of Philly.

New to geocaching with a couple of finds. Now just waiting on new GPS unit, the 2 I have are hard to use for geocaching.

I just wish the weather would warm up soon.

Ohh and don't worry about the username I just came up with a long time ago when I lived on a submarine. I didn't think about it when I registered the name. I am just somewhat off center or at least according to my wife. :)

Edited by Lunatic728