Mark (thecat)

Teasel

I too have only just discovered this sad news as I have been away from home for the past week. I met Mark last year on his CIN Fox Hunt one evening. He was the first cacher I met out on the road and he was a genuinely nice bloke. He also gave me his last Pudsy biscuit :rolleyes:. Thanks for doing the book of condolence Ian, a wonderful idea and a lovely way for his family to realise the scale of his impact on Geocaching and fellow Geocachers. He will be missed.

I very rarely read the forums these days and so I'm ashamed to say I've only just found out about Marks passing.

Needless to say, I am deeply saddened. I was fortunate enough to have met Mark about five times at different meets and the fox hunts and I always found him to be a pleasure to talk to. His enthusiasm for Geocaching seemed to be without bounds.

Rest in peace friend.

Noticed in a log of one cache on our watchlist the sad news, so caught up with the forums to verify this. We met Mark last year on the CIN Fox Hunt - lovely chap, our sympathies go to his family and close friends - he will be sorely missed by all cachers, those who knew him and those who didn't. Nice idea to maybe plan a fox hunt in his memory.

I only got chance to trade emails with Mark a couple of times and it seemed that not only was he the nice guy as many people have commented but he definitely had the GC bug as much if not more than anyone else I have come across.

I have lost both parents, Mum only recently. Dad to a heart attack like Mark and Mum to six years of cancer and I really can not say which is worse.

The void that is left by loved ones is sometimes imaginable and my thoughts and hopes are with Mark's family.

Rest in Peace fella!

Simon

I know that this is way late but better late than never.

My only contact with TheCat was through the geocacheuk site which I used to plan my caching trips while in the UK. It is a great resource, and I thank Mark (and Ian) for keeping it going.

I just read all three pages of testimonials and remembrances and was struck by how much positive impact Mark had on the UK geocaching community. There is no doubt that he will be sorely missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to Mark's family, friends and colleagues.

Late post I know, but work gets in the way these days.

When Mark was setting up GUK he had a logo competition, my son Mick had a go, his first real design on a computer. Although it was childish and obviously not slick mark sent mick a prize for having a go- he didn't have to- he did because he was a nice bloke.

The world has lost a gentleman.

;)

Sorry for my prolonged absence. Regrettably, I haven't been very busy on the geocaching recently and also haven't had time to read the forums, and only found out about Mark's sad passing when I tripped over a post on GAGB.

I'm both surprised and saddened by the death of the Mark (the Cat).

I had the pleasure of meeting Mark at the Chichester Meet (because I was early for once - one of the first few there, I had chance to talk to Mark for quite a while before anyone else turned up), and also at the Farley Mount Geocaching day (Mark gave me a couple of badges for my grandkids).

His boundless energy and enthusiasm were quite inspiring. Thank you Mark for all that you have done for Geocaching in the UK.

He will be sadly missed. My condolences to his family, and all of his friends.

Derek

Edited by DerekReed