Rr Track Rule Spirit.

Dino Hunters

From the guidlines...

"Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In general we use a distance of 150 ft but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply. "

I did a search for railroad, and read a lot of threads and did not find the answer to this question, so I am asking. Feel free to Markwell me.

Just wondering if the following circumstance would likely get approved.

Cache would be near a public fishing pond.

Cache would be within 150ft. of an active railroad.

There is a fence between where cache would be and track. Crossing the fence would put you on RR land, but staying on the pond side is public access.

Access to the pond and parking have nothing to do with track.

This would be the only/best hiding spot since it is the only grove of trees near the pond, and the rest is mowed lawn.

Edited by Dino Hunters

Because of local conditions, it might be very wrong to enforce a strict "rule" for rr, hence the word "guideline." A fenced play area very close to a track would still be deemed safe for caching. I'm wondering if you could hook up skis and ride that pond when the train passes?

Edited by Robespierre
ache would be near a public fishing pond.

Cache would be within 150ft. of an active railroad.

There is a fence between where cache would be and track. Crossing the fence would put you on RR land, but staying on the pond side is public access.

Access to the pond and parking have nothing to do with track.

That would probably be OK. A park near a RR within the 150 ft line is usually allowable if there is a fence, or similar barrier between the cache and the tracks.

The RR rule is in part because if you're on a RR right of way, you are trespassing and in part because of the possibliity of the cache being mistaken for a bomb.

If in doubt, run it by your local approver ahead of time.

Add a note for the reviewer is a good idea. I have a micro that is within 20 feet of some rr tracks. It is in a park that has a paved trail at that point. It is in the crotch of a tree that is behind a bench along that trail. The cache map shows the rr tracks but do not say that they are now a seldom used siding coming from a nearby switchyard. The otherside of the trail borders a river. I added this information in a note to the reviewerand also placed a BIG NOTE on the cache page that the cache is NOT ON OR ALONG THE RR TRACKS.

I believe this is why my cache was approved.

There is a local cache that is being watched by 4 people, including me. Since it is a 1,1, I think we are all watching it to see who gets arrested first. It is about 20 feet from a RR track, you have to cross the track on foot to get to the cache. The location is also between an oil refinery and a chemical facility/plant. The track is active and used to transport chemicals and petroleum products. Maybe you can think of a more inappropriate location for a cache, but I can't. I am honestly concerned about this one and I emailed the owner who does not think it is a problem.

GCJDFY

In many places the Railroad right of way is only 20' so you would not be trespassing if it were a little more than 20' away. Now for the last example. I would not even try for this cache and I am a railroad employee. With all the concern for terrorism I wouldn't be surprised if the chemical company isn't watching that cache also.

;)

There is a local cache that is being watched by 4 people, including me.  Since it is a 1,1,  I think we are all watching it to see who gets arrested first.  It is about 20 feet from a RR track, you have to cross the track on foot to get to the cache.  The location is also between an oil refinery and a chemical facility/plant.  The track is active and used to transport chemicals and petroleum products.  Maybe you can think of a more inappropriate location for a cache, but I can't.  I am honestly concerned about this one and I emailed the owner who does not think it is a problem.

GCJDFY

You should report it to the local approver. I read through the logs and noticed a few of the finders complained about it being so close to the tracks.

I submitted a new cache on Saturday - Cache is in a cool park with 2 big ball diamonds and a socker field. Later that day I realized that the cache was about 40' from the tracks. So, I added a note to the approver (HI Hemlock! <grin!>) [what he said right here!] telling him that there is a chain link fence between the park and the tracks that has warning signs on it not to cross onto the tracks.

I am hoping that as he said, that will make it ok and it will be approved.

Edited by CompuCash