Cachemate 4.0

Maeglin

I am confused about cm2GPX. I understand it can take the found data from caches on the Palm and move it to the GSAK notes field of a waypoint for automation loading of the find to GC.Com. The documentation at Smittyware.com says:

This program is used to convert CacheMate backup or import PDB files to equivalent GPX files. Extensions specific to Geocaching.com and CacheMate are automatically used as needed. Filter options are available, to selectively convert waypoints.

I downloaded cm2GPX exec. I double click it, a DOS window flashes and then disappears. I just read in a prior post on this thread to drag the CacheMate backup file onto the exe file and all will be good. How do I get a 'CacheMate backup' file.

Curerently I use the CM found feature when I find a cache and then at the end of the day I export those logs to memo and hotsync them to memos on the Palm Desktop, should I just stay with that as a simpler solution?

I downloaded cm2GPX exec. I double click it, a DOS window flashes and then disappears. I just read in a prior post on this thread to drag the CacheMate backup file onto the exe file and all will be good. How do I get a 'CacheMate backup' file.

Curerently I use the CM found feature when I find a cache and then at the end of the day I export those logs to memo and hotsync them to memos on the Palm Desktop, should I just stay with that as a simpler solution?

Don't give up just yet--you can find the file you want in your user backup files for the palm. I'm not the best authority from this, but from the GSAK macro and bat file that one of the wizards put together, I figured out that I needed to use this file (my Palm user name is Max):

D:\Palm\Max\Backup\CachesItems-cMat.pdb

I keep all my program files on my D: drive, so you may need to look in C:\Program files if that's where you load things.

HTH.

I am confused about cm2GPX. I understand it can take the found data from caches on the Palm and move it to the GSAK notes field of a waypoint for automation loading of the find to GC.Com. The documentation at Smittyware.com says:

This program is used to convert CacheMate backup or import PDB files to equivalent GPX files. Extensions specific to Geocaching.com and CacheMate are automatically used as needed. Filter options are available, to selectively convert waypoints.

for you it most likely is here...

D:\Program Files\Palm\<YOUR NAME>\Backup\CachesItems-cMat.pdb

Don't remove the file from that directory, just drag it into CM2gpx.exe

You will see the new GPX file get created where CM2PGX is located. Now if you are bringing the GPX into GSAK do NOT just open the gpx, you need to look under FILE>import Cachemate GPX. If you do not use this import you will lose any LOG NOTES that you wrote in CM.

I am confused about cm2GPX. ........

You will see the new GPX file get created where CM2PGX is located. ......

OK, I do have one of those files in the backup folder. I created an alias of it and drug it to the CM2GPX folder and then on the exe. No new file in the CM2GPX Folder?

The DOS window stayed open a little longer and then went away. I am just missing something.

I am confused about cm2GPX. ........

You will see the new GPX file get created where CM2PGX is located. ......

OK, I do have one of those files in the backup folder. I created an alias of it and drug it to the CM2GPX folder and then on the exe. No new file in the CM2GPX Folder?

The DOS window stayed open a little longer and then went away. I am just missing something.

OK, I found the NEW GPX file in the palm backup folder. Thanks for all your help.

As new caches pop up and I find other, this list changes.  I use an SD card and copy the 'fresh' files to it.  As I understand it, if I don't clear the database, I will almost definitely have caches lingering on the list that doesn't have any associated info to go with it on the SD card, and as time progresses, the problem will only get larger.

You are correct... ok, yeah, that's a good reason.

Maeglin, if you do put a delete button in there, please put a confirmation dialog in there too.  I just know I'll tap that sucker by accident one day, and everything will be gone before I know it otherwise.

Of course... that was the plan all along :blink:

I know where my pda backup files are, but the file "CachesItems-cMat.pdb" isn't there. Is there some setting I need to check in CacheMate or does this file only get generated after I export logs and hot-synch (something I don't normally do)?

I know where my pda backup files are, but the file "CachesItems-cMat.pdb" isn't there. Is there some setting I need to check in CacheMate or does this file only get generated after I export logs and hot-synch (something I don't normally do)?

Use a file utility like FileZ (freeware) to edit the file's properties. If I recall correctly, the backup attribute for that file needs to be turned on.

GeoBC

Quick question...

In the past, when I have wanted to load a Cachemate PDB file to my PDA, I have first deleted all the files that were already in there. What I am wondering, is if I can keep all the information in Cachemate, say, find logs, etc for the OLD caches after I add the new ones? I have not bothered using the find log tools, because i knew I was just going to delete the whole thing the next time i updated anyway. Anyone have any feedback on this?

bd

I am just not having any luck with searching for my answers today!

Now my question is this.  I have 400 plus records in CacheMate and want to sort them some way other than alpha.  I tried "by closest", but I can not get CacheMate to accept my coordinates even though I tried several ways.  In what form am I supposed to enter them?

AFAIK CacheMate does not have a 'Home Co-Ords' setting.

You can search for your nearest caches in CacheMate by going to the 'Srch' menu, selecting 'Nearest Caches' and then entering you desired Co-Ords.

One way for you to add your Home Co-Ords is to create a waypoint in your GSAK database and export that to cachemate. You can then select that waypoint in CacheMate and then under then 'Record' menu select 'Nearest Caches'.

This is a good idea...wish i had thought of it...I just put that in and it works like a charm. Thanks!

bd

I have a Sony Clie PEG-UX50 PDA (Palm OS, of course) and a Garmin 60CS. I wonder if anyone knows where I can get a cable to pair the two? Can't seem to find it on the sites that are listed in this thread, but some of the sites are just a little confusing, too.

Thanks heaps!

bd

In the past, when I have wanted to load a Cachemate PDB file to my PDA, I have first deleted all the files that were already in there. What I am wondering, is if I can keep all the information in Cachemate, say, find logs, etc for the OLD caches after I add the new ones? I have not bothered using the find log tools, because i knew I was just going to delete the whole thing the next time i updated anyway. Anyone have any feedback on this?

If a new record is imported with the same waypoint ID as an old record, most things will be updated as needed but the log view will be preserved, yes. I'm assuming that's what you were wanting to know?

Use a file utility like FileZ (freeware) to edit the file's properties. If I recall correctly, the backup attribute for that file needs to be turned on.

GeoBC

I checked (using FileZ) and I can't find this file anywhere on my pda or in sd directories. I even marked some caches as found and did an export to memo, just to see if there was something I needed to do to trigger the creation of this file.

Any other suggestions on where it might be? Any chance I'm looking for a different file name or mulitiple files because I keep all my databases on my sd card?

It's easier if you set FileZ to sort by Creator, first. The Creator tag for Cachemate is cMat.

The default database file in my Palm is DefaultItems-cM and is pretty big. Its Attributes has Backup checked so it will be backed up. Oh, this file is found on my Palm's internal storage, not on the SD card.

I think the name is based on the name that you give the internal database(s). Mine is called Default, hence DefaultItems-cM. If you create a new db called Caches, it will probably create one called CachesItems-cM. At least that's my guess.

GeoBC

I think the name is based on the name that you give the internal database(s). Mine is called Default, hence DefaultItems-cM. If you create a new db called Caches, it will probably create one called CachesItems-cM. At least that's my guess.

That's correct. The PDB's name is based on the database name. If you go into the Select Database popup and see a "Caches" database, there will be a "CachesItems-cMat" and it will automatically have the backup bit set (that's done when it's created). Otherwise, there won't be one there. The default database is aptly named "DefaultItems-cMat", just as geobc said.

That only applies if you're using CacheMate 4.0 or later, though... otherwise there's one database and its PDB name is "Items-cMat".

This definitely makes sense to me. I have 72 databases and corresponding files with "Items.cM" tagged onto the end of them. This should put me on the right track.

This definitely makes sense to me. I have 72 databases and corresponding files with "Items.cM" tagged onto the end of them. This should put me on the right track.

72? Sheesh... no wonder you can't find the one you're looking for :unsure:

HeHe! 67 of them are for benchmarks, divided by county, since that's how the data comes from NGS. If I grab some of them while out caching, I'll just move it to my main database for the day. Most of the time (assuming I prepare properly :unsure: ), everything for a given day is all in one db. It was just that I was specifically looking for "CachesItems.cmat" that confused me, since I don't have a database named "Caches". I guess I could create one. What's one more database? :ph34r:

Edited by gnbrotz

New versions of CMConvert and CM2GPX are now available...

CMConvert 1.9.1 adds support for Geocaching.com.au GPX extensions.  CM2GPX 1.0.3 fixes a bug where pre-4.0 backup databases resulted in a nearly empty default GPX filename, and adds support for decimal degree coordinate formats.  The added coordinate format support mirrors that which will be in the next CacheMate release.

If anyone's curious about the next CM release, I'm planning for it to be version 4.1. As far as a planned ETA, there is none at the moment... working through the best way to do some of the feature requests on the list.

I've already gotten one good report as far as that patch I mentioned a month ago stabilizing things when it comes to the overview display and the crashes that some people were seeing. The fix will be in the next release, but if any of you don't want to wait that long, send an email to the Smittyware support address for a copy of it.

Update: Make that two reports... things are definitely looking up on this problem :P

Edited by Maeglin

This program is awesome! I was tired of schlepping around a 3-ring binder with all the printed pages in alphabetical order by cache id! $30 for a Palm IIIe and $8 for Cachemate and I'm in HEAVEN!! You rock!

One quick question: Is there a way to import notes from GSAK into Cachemate?

Here's what I want to do: Since I have such an old (cheap) Palm, I can't run any of that fancy-shmancy mapping software, like Mapopolis. And my GPS (Garmin 72) doesn't do maps either. I was thinking of just using the map from geocaching.com to find the nearest cross streets, put them into notes in GSAK, then have them imported into Cachemate.

Is that something I can do? If not via notes from GSAK, is there another way to append descriptive data to a cache?

Thanks!

And thanks for such an awesome program at a price that I could justify to my wife! :lol:

Matt

This program is awesome!  I was tired of schlepping around a 3-ring binder with all the printed pages in alphabetical order by cache id!  $30 for a Palm IIIe and $8 for Cachemate and I'm in HEAVEN!!  You rock!

One quick question:  Is there a way to import notes from GSAK into Cachemate?

Here's what I want to do:  Since I have such an old (cheap) Palm, I can't run any of that fancy-shmancy mapping software, like Mapopolis.  And my GPS (Garmin 72) doesn't do maps either.  I was thinking of just using the map from geocaching.com to find the nearest cross streets, put them into notes in GSAK, then have them imported into Cachemate.

Is that something I can do?  If not via notes from GSAK, is there another way to append descriptive data to a cache?

Unless GSAK can append the user-entered notes to the description text somehow, then not really. Blame that on the structure of the GPX files that both apps understand, I guess. Once the information is on the PDA, though, you can enter notes in the Log area of the record view and move those back into GSAK with a little help from CM2GPX.

--------

And now something for the wider audience...

To all of those watching this forum for plugin updates, I'm currently trying to move those to this forum on the Smittyware site. The first one posted there is my generalizing the Mapopolis plugin to handle Address Book mapping waypoint records in general, adding ViaMichelin MapSonic to the list of supported apps, for anyone interested.

I'll still probably post CacheNav updates to this forum, as it's not only a plugin but something that can stand on its own as a separate app (granted, it can't do much like that, but hey :-)

I was thinking of just using the map from geocaching.com to find the nearest cross streets, put them into notes in GSAK, then have them imported into Cachemate.

Is that something I can do? If not via notes from GSAK, is there another way to append descriptive data to a cache?

You should be able to do this. However, I dropped my palm the other day and shattered it and my replacement hasn't arrived yet so I can't test to be sure.

If I recall correctly, when you create a user note in GSAK, it gets sent to Cachemate as a log entry. So enter your notes in GSAK, then take a look at "Past Logs" in Cachemate. Your info should be there.

HTH.

I was thinking of just using the map from geocaching.com to find the nearest cross streets, put them into notes in GSAK, then have them imported into Cachemate.

Is that something I can do?  If not via notes from GSAK, is there another way to append descriptive data to a cache?

You should be able to do this. However, I dropped my palm the other day and shattered it and my replacement hasn't arrived yet so I can't test to be sure.

If I recall correctly, when you create a user note in GSAK, it gets sent to Cachemate as a log entry. So enter your notes in GSAK, then take a look at "Past Logs" in Cachemate. Your info should be there.

HTH.

Just double checked and RubberToes is right on - whatever is entered into the GSAK user notes (either pane - user notes or log section) is placed into the GSAK logs for that cache when you "save" the user note (no need to actually log the cache).

The user note in the log is then exported to Cachemate, and retriveable under "past logs" in Cachemate! :lol: Edit: typo

Edited by Kai Team

Another CacheMate/CMConvert patch release is now available. The CacheMate release is taking care of some of the smaller fixes and enhancements, so I can have some time to finish thinking through the larger ones for 4.1 :D

CacheMate 4.0.4 contains various fixes and enhancements to the nearest cache search and multi-database support.  It also adds decimal degree support and (hopefully) fixes a stability problem surrounding version 4.0's overview display.  CMConvert 1.9.2 adds a fix to make newer description fields more compatible with CM2GPX, as well as decimal degree support in radius filter of the Windows GUI version.

Granted, the stability fix isn't exactly "small" to some, but it was already done (though, not extensively tested because hardly anyone came forward), so it gets to be included.

Enjoy!

Figure out some other way to do it? :angry:

GPSBabel supports the format by creating an entirely new waypoint DB to replace the one on the PDA. That, combined with the fact that all of the waypoints are not only in one database but also in one friggin record (who was the smartass that thought of that one? :yikes: ), makes me very hesitant to make a stab at support for it.

When I use the File>Export>CacheMatePDB option in GSAK I am prompted to enter the "PDB File to Create" path. What is the best thing to enter there?

I don't think it makes any difference, it's just a file that will be passed to the converter. I use "unfound" for my file name.

Jon

Well, the reason I am asking is that I am setting this up on a new computer and I remember some vague problems with the last computer when I just gave it a name in a sub folder of my documents. I don't remember exactly what it was. It worked, but I THINK the palm installer had trouble finding it. I might have had to browse all around to find the file to send to my Palm M500.

I think I remember a few posts from a while ago saying that it was best to set up a certain path with whatever file name you want at the end of that path. I can't find those posts now, so that is why I am asking.

Thanks.

I save my GSAK generated PDB files to a subfolder off of My Documents without any problem (using a Palm M515), but I also check the "Install to Palm After Conversion" checkbox in the GSAK "Export to Cachemate" dialog.

If you check that box, GSAK will pass the file to the Palm installer and it will be installed the next time you hotsync (the installer will also open so that you can change the destination if desired - i.e. to the SD card). If you don't check that box, GSAK will save the file to the place you specify and you will have to open the Palm Installer, click Add, and navigate to the folder where you saved it. This is normal behavior - GSAK makes it your option which way you want to do it.

Personally, I don't know why you wouldn't check the "Install to Palm..." checkbox - it makes life so much easier! :blink:

OK, I figured out how best to describe the problem. Ideally, I would like to have a sub folder off of 'My Documents" to export PDB files to. I set up GSAK to export to "My Documents\Geocaching\Files for Palm". I *check the box* in GSAK to install to Palm on next hotsync. In closing out the export process, GSAK informs me twice that the file will be installed to the Palm during the next hotsync. Everything seems to be going according to plan, but.........

When I start the Palm Quick Install Program, NO files are listed. In order to grab the PDB file generated by GSAK, I must click the add button and navigate to the above path and double click the file.

What I would like is for the file to be in the Quick Install box when I open Quick Install. I could figure out where Quick Install is looking for files and dump all PDB files there, but I suspect it is the top level of the "My Documents" path and I am better organized than that. Or I need to change where Quick Install looks for the files. I can't seem to figure out how to do that.

Edited by Cheminer Will
...I *check the box* in GSAK to install to Palm on next hotsync. In closing out the export process, GSAK informs me twice that the file will be installed to the Palm during the next hotsync. Everything seems to be going according to plan, but.........

When I start the Palm Quick Install Program, NO files are listed. In order to grab the PDB file generated by GSAK, I must click the add button and navigate to the above path and double click the file...

Quick Install is a different program than the Palm Install Tool.

Since GSAK already put the PDB in the Palm Install Tool, you don't need to open the Quick Install Program at all. Just Hot Sync your PDA and it will be transferred!