Cachemate 4.0

Maeglin

I am just not having any luck with searching for my answers today!

Now my question is this.  I have 400 plus records in CacheMate and want to sort them some way other than alpha.  I tried "by closest", but I can not get CacheMate to accept my coordinates even though I tried several ways.  In what form am I supposed to enter them?

AFAIK CacheMate does not have a 'Home Co-Ords' setting.

You can search for your nearest caches in CacheMate by going to the 'Srch' menu, selecting 'Nearest Caches' and then entering you desired Co-Ords.

One way for you to add your Home Co-Ords is to create a waypoint in your GSAK database and export that to cachemate. You can then select that waypoint in CacheMate and then under then 'Record' menu select 'Nearest Caches'.

Edited by Motley Crew
I am just not having any luck with searching for my answers today!

Now my question is this.  I have 400 plus records in CacheMate and want to sort them some way other than alpha.  I tried "by closest", but I can not get CacheMate to accept my coordinates even though I tried several ways.  In what form am I supposed to enter them?

AFAIK CacheMate does not have a 'Home Co-Ords' setting.

You can search for your nearest caches in CacheMate by going to the 'Srch' menu, selecting 'Nearest Caches' and then entering you desired Co-Ords.

One way for you to add your Home Co-Ords is to create a waypoint in your GSAK database and export that to cachemate. You can then select that waypoint in CacheMate and then under then 'Record' menu select 'Nearest Caches'.

What I meant is that in the screen you describe, I can't get it to accept coordinates at all. Every way I tried I get the error message "Missing or invalid coordinates".

However, as I type this, it occurs that you MAY be saying that CacheMate only allows you to search for closest caches to one ALREADY in the database. In other words, you can not enter your current coords and then get the DB sorted according to where you are standing at the moment?

What I had today was a Palm with 430 way points sorted alphabetically. I wanted to know which ones were closest to me at that time. Can I do that? Or do I have to get close to a cache that is already in the CacheMate DB and search the DB for caches closest to that one?

Yes, you can do that.

I've entered coordinates in that Search form before, and they weren't coordinates of an existing waypoint.

What format were you using? Was it like 32* 00.000? or some other form?

OK, thanks. Now that I know you can do it that way, I'll try again tomorrow. I tried a few different ways to enter the coordinates. The problem with a couple of formats, I think, was that I could not find the degree sign on the Palm M500.

You don't have to find the degree sign. When I click on Search/Nearest Caches, I just edit the format that was already there, which IIRC, already had the N and W and the ° symbols there.

It couldn't have been too hard, because it took me two months to even figure out I could search for nearest caches. :grin:

Hmmm, haven't tried. I've only used it a couple of times and the previous search coordinates are left there, so I've just edited them.

I'm trying to get new DBs created and location folders created in Cachemate so I shouldn't need to use that Search feature.

The coordinate parser doesn't need the degree symbol. All it looks for are heading letters (NWES), digits, and decimal points. It treats everything else as whitespace. This is all in the documentation, as well as the supported coordinate formats. If you read all that and what you're entering looks right, keep in mind that you need to enter latitude and longitude in the prompt for it to work.

-------------

While I'm working on getting things together for 4.1, I've added some more cleanup code to the Overview display, which may or may not help with those having crashes while doing certain things (usually nearest cache searches) from that view. If any of you having problems in that department want to try out the patch, send email to the smittyware.com support address and I'll reply with a copy of it.

Edited by Maeglin

I can't figure out how to use CM2GPX to convert PDB-to-GPX so I can upload my logs into GSAK. I guess I'm not geeky enough. :ph34r:

I'm new to running programs from the C prompt. This is the command line I'm using: cm2gpx.exe -f FridayItems-cMat.PDB The error I get is "error reading PDB file" I'm running the command in the directory in which the program is stored. I've reinstalled Cachemate, restarted my computer, resynched my data. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help!

GeoGrapes/Liz

I am using Cachemate on a PAlm Vx. When I hot sync the results of my PQ it takes ages (over an hour once ) for Cachemate to import the 500 records. Is this normal? Is it time for me to get a newer PDA?

Thanks

That is way too long.

My HotSync cradle is USB and it only takes a few minutes, at the most, to upload that many waypoints, plus back up all the other data.

Does yours connect through USB or the Serial port?

Wow. That is very strange. I just updated the caches on my Palm M500 and reinstalled all 535 caches.

The hotsync experienced a little wrinkle, but the caches got installed and accessing them only took a minute or so.

Does your Palm have a slot for a memory card? If so, are you installing the caches to the SD card or the main memory?

I am using Cachemate on a PAlm Vx. When I hot sync the results of my PQ it takes ages (over an hour once ) for Cachemate to import the 500 records. Is this normal? Is it time for me to get a newer PDA?

Thanks

I import about 1300 caches in about 3-4 minutes on a Palm M515, but there's a trick involved.

I found that the import is about 10 times faster if I keep the pdb's on a memory card rather than in the main memory.

I would have given up using Cachemate or at the very least not kept very many caches in it if someone hadn't pointed out the great improvement in the import speed when using a memory card.

Buy, borrow or whatever a memory card and give it a try.

Jon

What version are you using? The latest (4.0.3) includes a significant speed increase over older versions when merging imported records.

Just wondering if the new "attributes" can be incorporated into cachemate? It may be another section in the pull down menu such as "Past Finds" and "Log" but it would list the attrubtes of th cache like:

Night Cache

Wheelchair accessible

Thorns

Good for Kids

Bicycles

Washrooms

etc.

I was doing a cache today with my palm and logged a DNF and asked the owner for a hint clarification. She mentioned that it is wheelchair accessible and then I noticed that she did list that as a cache attribute but since I didn't print the page I did not know. Knowing something like that would be beneficial, then I wouldn't have been climbing into the bushes and whatnot. :rolleyes:

I know not all caches list attributes as it was only established recently on GC.com. But a feature like this in cachemate would be fantastic!

Thanks for listending.

mrking

Just installed and registered Cachemate. I'm digging this software. I'm thinking it will make my caching much more organized and covenient.

One thing I'd like to see in an upgrade is some way (other than creating a new record for it) of having my home coordinates stored, and have a 'Closest to Home' search function . . .

Cachemate is a great program, but regarding attributes and closest to home, it can't (presently, anyway) do everything that a program like GSAK can do.

I use GSAK and Cachemate in combination: GSAK allows me to sort, filter, arrange, view, name, export to cachemate, and log caches with ease (among other things), while cachemate gives me the information I need in the field. Each is a specialized tool - one that works on my desktop for what I need to do at home (plan my hunts), and one that works on my PDA for what I need to do in the field (find the caches!). :rolleyes:

Edited by Kai Team
Cachemate is a great program, but regarding attributes and closest to home, it can't (presently, anyway) do everything that a program like GSAK can do. 

I use GSAK and Cachemate in combination:  GSAK allows me to sort, filter, arrange, view, name, export to cachemate, and log caches with ease (among other things), while cachemate gives me the information I need in the field.  Each is a specialized tool - one that works on my desktop for what I need to do at home (plan my hunts), and one that works on my PDA for what I need to do in the field (find the caches!).  :rolleyes:

I have to disagree with you a little bit...

You can do a search closest to a certain waypoint. All you have to do do is find the initial waypoint, click on it then hit done. Go into the task bar/SRC/Nearest Caches, then hit OK choose the filter you want then hit ok and it will spit out a list of caches from closest to farthest.

As for attributes I cannot see what that cannot be dumped into a GPX file at all (maybe I am wrong - Jeremy?) and if it could, why not use it in cachemate. I want as much info in the field as I can get. Knowing the attributes would be beneficial IMO.

I use GSAK as well to organize caches, help with loggin and to create cache raids, etc. Cachemate gives me all the info I need that is GSAK, why not add attributes to it as well?

mrking

Edited by mrking

The attributes aren't in the GPX files yet, but they will be eventually, according to Jeremy. By then, maybe I can figure out something to do with them (CMConvert filter, include in description, maybe both).

As far as the "closest to home", all you need to do is create a waypoint record in CacheMate with your home coordinates, bookmark it to keep it handy, and do a nearest cache search from that as needed.

Okay, I need a little assistance . . .

I have a Palm IIIxe and a Magellan GPS 315. Cachemate runs like a dream on the Palm. I'm trying to connect these two beast so they communicate with each other.

I have serial (db9) cables for each of these units, both with female ends. I picked up a m-m gender changer to connect them. However, I get no communication. It will either sit there forever waiting for the data, or I get an "Unable to open serial port, Error Code = 0302". I've tried RS232 and Serial settings in Cachemate.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a null modem connector to do this? Has anyone experienced this problem? I've looked at cables at PC-Mobile, and I haven't seen an end for the Palm IIIxe, and I'd rather not spend that much money if I don't have to . . .

I have serial (db9) cables for each of these units, both with female ends. I picked up a m-m gender changer to connect them. However, I get no communication. It will either sit there forever waiting for the data, or I get an "Unable to open serial port, Error Code = 0302". I've tried RS232 and Serial settings in Cachemate.

You'll definitely need a null modem adapter... as far as the error code, that's indicating an invalid serial port. What are you using for the port setting in CacheMate? If you see RS232 in the list, have you tried the Cradle port?

Yeah, I tried it first on Cradle, which just sat there forever. I then tried RS232, which also just sat there. Serial brought up the error code, and then later RS232 did.

Unfortunately, the only Null modem connectors I can find in town are 9-25. I may call Radio Shack again and see if they have any 9-9, since I have the gender changer now. I may end up with Frankengear, but if it works, I'm okay.

How long does communication between the PDA and GPSr usually take?

Now that I have been using CacheMate for a short time, I have a few questions about how best to do things:

After I upload from GSAK and then hotsync, I open CacheMate. I then import the updated records. It puts them automatically into the unfiled category. (Not sure I understand that?). If I look at the "all" category, they are all there, but none of the other categories have anything in them. This includes the "found" category, even though in GSAK before uploading to CacheMate, many of these records are found. What am I doing wrong here? Can someone explain the best method to follow when importing into CacheMate?

Also - After updating the CacheMate database, the few records I had previously put into a sub category, called "picnic" on CacheMate have been cleared from that category? Why is that?

Thanks.

Now that I have been using CacheMate for a short time, I have a few questions about how best to do things:

After I upload from GSAK and then hotsync, I open CacheMate.  I then import the updated records.  It puts them automatically into the unfiled category.  (Not sure I understand that?).    If I look at the "all" category, they are all there, but none of the other categories have anything in them.  This includes the "found" category, even though in GSAK before uploading to CacheMate, many of these records are found.  What am I doing wrong here?  Can someone explain the best method to follow when importing into CacheMate?

Also - After updating the CacheMate database, the few records I had previously put into a sub category, called "picnic" on CacheMate have been cleared from that category?  Why is that?

Thanks.

After I hotsync the GSAK records, then fire up cachemate, I get a dialog that allows me to specify the category into which the new records should be filed. I generally choose Unfound. Sometimes, however, when I'm preparing for an out of state trip, I put them in a spearate folder, so I can delete them quickly when I return.

Once you locate a cache, click the log option from the upper right menu. The check the "Found" box. Once the "Found" box is checked, Cachemate will move the record from whatever folder it's in to the Found folder.

As for why your records in other folders are getting deleted, this will happen if you are viewing "All" and you use the Delete Records function. It deletes them all. If you want to delete records in a single folder, make sure you have only that folder selected. You might want to do a record count before performing the delete. That should give you a sense that you have selected the right amount of data to delete.

HTH.

Okay, got myself a null modem cable. Now weird things are happening.

I can transfer waypoints from Cachemate to my 315 with no problem, but Cachemate does not seem to want to receive coordinate info from it. It just sits there saying 'Listening for Data'.

My cable is obviously working, but I can't seem to get the coordinate data in to perform distance searches based on my current location. Any ideas on why this might happen?

I can transfer waypoints from Cachemate to my 315 with no problem, but Cachemate does not seem to want to receive coordinate info from it. It just sits there saying 'Listening for Data'.

Perhaps Cachemate will only "listen in" to your GPS unit's position data when it is sent as NMEA format. Go into your communication setup screen (I know nothing about Magellans but assume it has one) and choose NMEA for the communications protocol.

NMEA is a standard GPS output format and I'm positive your 315 supports it.

AFAIK there is no standard for sending data TOO a GPS so right now, yours is probably in some kind of proprietary Magellan-to-PC format.

GeoBC

[quote

Also - After updating the CacheMate database, the few records I had previously put into a sub category, called "picnic" on CacheMate have been cleared from that category?  Why is that?

Thanks.

As for why your records in other folders are getting deleted, this will happen if you are viewing "All" and you use the Delete Records function. It deletes them all. If you want to delete records in a single folder, make sure you have only that folder selected. You might want to do a record count before performing the delete. That should give you a sense that you have selected the right amount of data to delete.

HTH.

Actually what happens is that if I have moved a few records to a new category, the next time I hotsync these records are cleared out and the updated records for those caches are filed in with the 500 plus records in the "unfiled" category. I have not manually deleted any records.

Do you have the "Preserve old item category" option selected in your preferences?

From the documentation:

Preserve old item category

When import file record merging is enabled, with the above option, this option causes the category setting of any existing records that are merged to be preserved in the new record. This option does not apply to records imported from memory card files.

*edited to fix punctuation

Edited by gnbrotz
Do you have the "Preserve old item category" option selected in your preferences?

From the documentation:

Preserve old item category

When import file record merging is enabled, with the above option, this option causes the category setting of any existing records that are merged to be preserved in the new record. This option does not apply to records imported from memory card files.

*edited to fix punctuation

Ah Ha! Thanks!

Is there a way to delete all waypoints from more than one (but not all) existing databases? I have three that I regularly update and was wondering if there is a faster way to clear them out before loading the new files.

In Cachemate, select the database under the 'ALL' tab and then under the 'Cachemate' tab select 'Options' and then the first line, 'Delete Records'. You will get a prompt about deleting all records in that database. Just do that for each database you want to empty. It is the fastest way I know.....

Yep, that's how I do it now, just wanted to see if there was a way to delete "all" from multiple databases at once.

I don't know if this would be worth adding as a 'feature' or how hard it would be to program, but when I get all my benchmark data migrated in (67 databases worth), it would be even more useful when it came time to do those updates.

Greg; I don't think there a one step way to do what you seek other than creating a macro, which would seem pretty straight-forward if it's always the same three databases you want to empty out.

Hmm...I didn't know macros were in option in CacheMate (or with Palm OS in general?). Could you expand on this thought a bit? It is always the same three that I refresh with new data.

Dope slap! I'm in GSAK mode. Sorry. The worst part about this is I read your question last night and realized that it was Cachemate and not GSAK. I forgot today.

I'll shut up now. ;)

Edited by embra
I don't know if this would be worth adding as a 'feature' or how hard it would be to program, but when I get all my benchmark data migrated in (67 databases worth), it would be even more useful when it came time to do those updates.

I just looked at the Select Database popup and it looks like there's definitely room for a "Clr" (clear) button. Not a one-step deal, but it saves a lot of clicking. Adding that to the list...

Aside from doing a delete all after selecting a database, the only other way is to delete and recreate the database, but in that case you lose any category changes.

Is there a reason why you're clearing out the data first, though? If it's because of import speed, that was improved greatly in either 4.0.2 or 4.0.3. I forget at the moment which it was done in.

I just looked at the Select Database popup and it looks like there's definitely room for a "Clr" (clear) button.  Not a one-step deal, but it saves a lot of clicking.  Adding that to the list....

You are the man. Would it work like this: one could select clear and then the database name and that database would be emptied of waypoints but the database name would remain?

I still can't figure out how to use CM2GPX to convert PDB-to-GPX so I can upload my logs into GSAK.

I was doing as ralann suggested, typing the entire path of where the pdb is located as part of the command. I have also tried moving the pdb to the same directory in which CM2GPX is stored.

This is where I am at the C prompt

C:\Program Files\GSAK\cm2gpx-1.0.2

then I enter the following command:

cm2gpx.exe -f C:\program files\Handspring\GrapenE\FridayItems-cMat.PDB

What am I missing?

Thanks,

GeoGrapes/Liz

Is there a reason why you're clearing out the data first, though? If it's because of import speed, that was improved greatly in either 4.0.2 or 4.0.3. I forget at the moment which it was done in.

I live very near a state border, so I order PQs for the closest 500 in both states. Each of these go into their own database, and a third database includes the 20 closest to my home, regardless of which state they are in.

As new caches pop up and I find other, this list changes. I use an SD card and copy the 'fresh' files to it. As I understand it, if I don't clear the database, I will almost definitely have caches lingering on the list that doesn't have any associated info to go with it on the SD card, and as time progresses, the problem will only get larger.