Cachemate 4.0

Maeglin

I use GSAK and Cachemate catgories to do this with caches - I think it should work with benchmarks. 

1) Load each county's benchmarks into a separate GSAK database. 

2) Create a catgory for each County within Cachemate.

3) Select a database and export it to Cachemate, giving the file the name of the County.

4) Hotsync

5) When you next start Cachemate, it should detect the new file and give you an opportunity to select the category for the import.  Choose the category that matches the file name.

To see a County's benchmarks, just select the appropriate category in Cachemate.

Bold added by me for emphasis.

I know this is possible. My question is: Can I avoid the tedious work of pecking out 67+ counties on my tiny pda. I'd like to complete this task at my desktop (or laptop) if possible.

Can you have 67 categories in Cachemate? I thought the category limit in the OS was 15. You could have 67 different databases though, which is much easier to organise, although you won't be able to view all the benchmarks at once, only one database at a time.

I think you're right. My initial question did indeed specify DBs and that's the way I want to go. I missed the switch to "categories" in the ensuing posts.

Viewing all of the benchmarks at one is not an issue at all. I currently manage benchmarks by county and just want to make a change in the software that's handling them. My current software (datasheets via plucker) doesn't allow for actually uploading coords to my gps, and Cachemate will, which is the main reason for the move.

I'm preparing to move all of my benchmark data into Cachemate.  I want to create a seperate DB for each county, but that's 67 in my state, and I live very near a border, so I realistically expect to add some counties for the neighboring state as well.  It there a way I can set all of this up without doing all of this work on my pda?

Also, I love the notes for trade items, TBs, etc.  Is there any way I can "customize" the template to suit my needs (ie - list family members seperately, etc.)?

No. Multiple database management is done completely on the PDA, and there's no way to change the notes template in CacheMate. The only possibility for the latter is if you get the source for CMConvert, change and compile a copy for yourself, and have it automatically put in the template.

I swear everyone is so used to coded caches that you are all talking in puzzles.  What I found out is that the Plugin for Outdoor Navigator and Cachemate, is now built into the latest version of Outdoor Navigator.  That was not clear.

Blame the author of ON... the plugin functionality was always built into that app, from the moment it was added. A plugin doesn't always have to be separate from the otherwise independent application that it works with... how do you think CacheNav works? :blink:

Maeglin,

Another question about databases:

I've noticed that as I add new ones, they go to the top of the list. This order remains on the "select database" list, etc. Is there any way to order them alphabetically, short of deleting/recreating them manually to keep them in order? As my list of databases will easily expand to 100+, some type of ordering begins to become valuable for efficient use.

...there's no way to change the notes template in CacheMate. The only possibility for the latter is if you get the source for CMConvert, change and compile a copy for yourself, and have it automatically put in the template.

How difficult would this be for a non-programmer (but fairly computer literate) person to due? Would I need a special application to modify the code or can that be done with a text editor or something similar?

Can you have 67 categories in Cachemate? I thought the category limit in the OS was 15. You could have 67 different databases though, which is much easier to organise, although you won't be able to view all the benchmarks at once, only one database at a time.

:( I have tried to figure out how to create a different database in Cachemate on my Palm M500 and have been unsuccessful in figuring this out.

What am I missing . . .? :D

Menu --> Options --> Database --> Select Database

At the bottom is a text field where you can add a new name (or rename an existing DB). Click "New" and the new DB is created.

*corrected incorrect info

Edited by gnbrotz
Menu --> Options --> Database --> Select Database

At the bottom is a text field where you can add a new name (or rename an existing DB).  Click "Add" and the new DB is created.

I wanted to install a couple of different databases on my PDA and followed these steps but would not seem to work. I clicked "New" entered name clicked "done" Then when I went back to check DB only the "Defualt" DB shows up?

What might I be doing wrong? Thanks, Al

PS at the bottom of the screen when I select "Select Database" I don't have a "add" button. Just "Done" "New" "Ren" "Del"

I clicked "New" entered name clicked "done" Then when I went back to check DB only the "Defualt" DB shows up?

What might I be doing wrong?

You've got the right steps, just in the wrong order: Don't click 'new' until after you've entered the name of the new DB, then click 'done'

PS at the bottom of the screen when I select "Select Database" I don't have a "add" button. Just "Done" "New" "Ren" "Del"

I stand corrected. There is no "add" option, clicking "new" establishes the new DB.

Edited by gnbrotz
I clicked "New" entered name clicked "done" Then when I went back to check DB only the "Defualt" DB shows up?

What might I be doing wrong?

You've got the right steps, just in the wrong order: Don't click 'new' until after you've entered the name of the new DB, then click 'done'

I stand corrected. There is no "add" option, clicking "new" establishes the new DB.

All righty, got the new DB on the PDA. Now when I download WP from GSAK, how do I get the WP in the right DB. Do I have said DB open and then do the download? Doing this for each DB I have.

Thanks for all the help, Al

Now that you have a new database when you open cachemate and it ask if you want to import the new files it will ask you which database you want to import it into.

You will need to do the presorting by creating different files for each database you want to import into.

I've noticed that as I add new ones, they go to the top of the list.  This order remains on the "select database" list, etc.  Is there any way to order them alphabetically, short of deleting/recreating them manually to keep them in order?  As my list of databases will easily expand to 100+, some type of ordering begins to become valuable for efficient use.

Added to the list.

...there's no way to change the notes template in CacheMate.  The only possibility for the latter is if you get the source for CMConvert, change and compile a copy for yourself, and have it automatically put in the template.

How difficult would this be for a non-programmer (but fairly computer literate) person to due? Would I need a special application to modify the code or can that be done with a text editor or something similar?

Depends on the OS... for Windows, you'd need Microsoft's compiler, which comes with its own editor. With anything else (using the portable source code), you'd use a text editor and then compile with what you had. As far as difficulty for a non-programmer, that depends on how computer literate you are :blink:

For some reason I am no longer able to upload waypoints to my gps. I get this message:

"Error opening serial port. Code = 0307"

Any ideas? I haven't changed anything or done anything differently than normal. I only have one pda and one gps, so I can't swap them out, but my gps is communicating with my pc (different cable) just fine.

For some reason I am no longer able to upload waypoints to my gps.  I get this message:

"Error opening serial port.  Code = 0307"

Apparently something on the PDA opened the serial port but didn't close it for some reason. What else on your PDA uses the serial port? I'm asking because, as far as I know, all of my stuff is good as far as that goes.

A warm reset will clear that up, by the way.

For some reason I am no longer able to upload waypoints to my gps. I get this message:

Any ideas? I haven't changed anything or done anything differently than normal. I only have one pda and one gps, so I can't swap them out, but my gps is communicating with my pc (different cable) just fine.

What OS and hardware are you using? Some Palms require the serial port to be manually opened prior to use. LdSerLib is a freeware program that will open the port. I needed to use it on my Zire71.

GeoBC

m125 with OS 4.1....I never had to open it manually before.

It just occured to me that I have installed a keyboard driver since I last moved waypoints. Since it uses the same connection, perhaps I need to disable that? I do remember a box in the keyboard preferences for that, but couldn't figure out why I would need to switch it.

I'm just ready to head out of town to attend a CITO event tomorrow, so I won't be able to try that for a few hours, but I'll check back here as I should have net access later tonight.

i have the same error code all the time with my NavCompanion... drives me knutz, does it every time I hook up my gps to my palm.

I would hit the paperclip reset button and you should be fine as the MAN said.

i also get 0x0302 ?!? i think that is right when i dont have the gps connected when I start a gps app.

A question about cachenav... Is it possible to change the plugin using an app like filez(and i know it can be done but will i break something?) to change the code to hide cachenav from the app menu...

1.1 What is a CacheMate Plugin?

A CacheMate plugin is simply a Palm OS application, containing at least one special resource and implementing one or both of the launch codes that CacheMate uses in its plugin support. The standard 'appl' database type may be used, if the application may also be used in standalone mode (CacheNav is an example of this), or you may use the database type 'CMEX' to hide the plugin from application launchers. As with any other Palm OS application, a plugin needs to have its own unique creator ID.

will it break anything or is this an ok thing to change. i just cant test till my new gps arrives.

i guess if i break anything i can resync.

EDIT: the quote is from the plugin SDK file

Edited by ralann

Could not find this easily and am losing patience, so here goes. I downloaded and installed CM. Even used GSAK to put caches on to my Palm. Of course, I can only have 10 records because it's not registered yet. But I love the 10 records and want to register.

However, because it is not installed on my desktop in a way that gives me a program file to run there, I can not figure out how to register my copy? Where is the registration program on my desktop computer? I feel like a dummy here as I have registered many programs in the past, but just can not figure this one out.

I guess I just need simple directions on how to pay the 8.00 and make this a registered copy.

Thanks

I was told the following as to where to place the CacheMate .pdb file for export. "On most systems it is in the C:\Program Files\Palm\Add-on folder. Then when you hot sync, the file goes to the Palm."

However, I think I was given the choice of where to put it, so I put my first one in a folder under my geocache folder in "my documents". I also checked the box in GSAK for uploading it to the Palm. There is now nothing in the folder in "my documents" now. The way I thought I understood it was that there would always be a copy of the PDB files on my computer. I put it in "my documents" so it would get backed up regularly. Maybe that is unnecessary as the info will be updated fairly often?

I guess I don't really understand the best place to put the PDB file or why, and the easiest way to get it to the Palm. If anyone is able to clearly explain the best way to handle the PDB's, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

The best place to put it is in the Add-on folder, that way if the palm gets corrupted it will automatically reinstall it when you hot synch. If you put it in the default location it will transfer it to the palm and will open it when you open cachemate. Just let GSAK put it where it wants to, hot synch the palm and then open the cachemate program on the palm

The best place to put it is in the Add-on folder, that way if the palm gets corrupted it will automatically reinstall it when you hot synch. If you put it in the default location it will transfer it to the palm and will open it when you open cachemate. Just let GSAK put it where it wants to, hot synch the palm and then open the cachemate program on the palm

Well, when I export the PDB file, my copy of GSAK does not fill in the box with a default path or anything. Also on my computer, the path "C:\Program Files\PalmOne\ " does not have an "add on" folder in it.

Any ideas? Should I just create an "add-on" folder in the "PalmOne" folder? Or is it not that simple?

Thanks

If GSAK does the same thing that the Windows version of CMConvert does, and uses the Palm Desktop libraries to handle the install, then it may be best to just let Palm Desktop put the file where it wants to... they know how their software works better than anyone, I'd hope :ph34r:

Success =)

I just got the proper cable to connect my MeriColor and my m515

MagellanUpload works BEAUTIFUL, I just need to figure out the icons as they don't agree 100%

CacheNav works with the alteration that I did earlier in this thread, a cosmetic thing to get it out of my launcher but hey, i never use it standalone.

I also was able to update to the latest CacheNav, I couldn't before due to a problem with my Nav Companion. It was a hardware issue it seems, everything else on my palm is bascily the same.

Things couldn't be better. YOU ROCK Maeglin. Gotta go find a cache or 2 now...

EDIT: OT: http://pc-mobile.net is where I got my cables from... High quality, really nice. shipping is a tad slow due to the fact that they ship from hongkong. price is really good and you can get a connection for most anything., not just pda/gps's

Edited by ralann
If GSAK does the same thing that the Windows version of CMConvert does, and uses the Palm Desktop libraries to handle the install, then it may be best to just let Palm Desktop put the file where it wants to... they know how their software works better than anyone, I'd hope :ph34r:

The thing is that GSAK, at least on my computer, does not indicate where it wants to put the file. That box is left empty for me to fill in. The path that was recommended in this thread does not exist on my machine. So that is my question. Yes I agree that it is usually best to let a program do what it wants to in a case like this, but in this case, it gives no indication.

Are there only 'certain' CacheMate 'categories' that cm2gpx.exe will generate a gpx from the *.pdb file or should all 'categories' work?

(I'm assuming that 'xxxxxxxItems-cMat.pdb' is the 'main' hotsyched backup file that should be interrogated and am having trouble extracting the data from 'Temp' and 'ToBeLogged' categories - get 'problem with pdb file' error message).

The easy way to do the export from GSAK to Cachemate is just check the box that says "Install to Palm". Then do a hotsync, and the .pdb file will be installed. You can give the file any name you like, as long as it's a legal filename. I generally name mine 'CM-Caches' so I know what it is. You don't have to specify a path if you have it installed to the Palm. I don't do it that way - I install directly to my SD card in my card reader, and I know the path to that, but it's certainly not necessary to do it that way, and you can't if you have a Palm with no expansion slot.

I have to say that judging just from your posts in this and the GSAK thread, you would benefit greatly from reading the Palm user manual in some detail, as well as the GSAK and Cachemate help files.

The GPS doesn't need to know what datum the coordinates were in. Changing to NAD27 just changes the display. If you send coordinates in WGS84, then they will display correctly with the GPS set to display WGS84, but not when set to any other datum.

that is the strange thing...

the gps was set to nad27

CM records are in wgs84

i used magupload plugin

after i sent the points over i realized my possible error. i checked and the coords while the gps was still in nad27 and they were different than what CM was displaying. I then switched he gps to wgs84 and the records now matched.

my home coords worked just fine when transfered from CM and the gps was in 27 OR 84 DURRING the transfer. they landed me at the same spot either way.

i have a meri color

Are there only 'certain' CacheMate 'categories' that cm2gpx.exe will generate a gpx from the *.pdb file or should all 'categories' work?

Either should work.

(I'm assuming that 'xxxxxxxItems-cMat.pdb' is the 'main' hotsyched backup file that should be interrogated and am having trouble extracting the data from 'Temp' and 'ToBeLogged' categories - get 'problem with pdb file' error message).

If you have multiple databases set up, you can have a few different "xxxxxxItems-cMat.pdb" files in there. If you're getting error messages from it trying to read the file, then either there is truly a problem reading the file or CM2GPX doesn't recognize it as a CacheMate file (which would be an additional message to look for). If you're able to read records from some categories from the file, but not all from that same file, that doesn't make any sense. The records are read before the category filtering is done.

If you want to zip the PDB file and send it to the smittyware.com support address, I'll take a look at it and see what I can see.

Quick Q... deos Magellan Upload tell the GPS that it is sending wgs84 coords?

Coordinates in NMEA 0183 messages are always WGS84. I think that goes for the Garmin protocol as well.

Edited by Maeglin

The cm2gpx help file details exactly how to pull the categories you want from any given .PDB file. Using

cm2gpx.exe -f DefaultItems-cMat.PDB

will pull only "Found" category records, while

cm2gpx.exe -C found DefaultItems-cMat.PDB

will pull records in both the "Found" and "Unfound" categories, as it's searching for any category name with "found" in it, non-case-sensitive. There's a few other options for defining which categories you want to pull.

Either should work.

If you have multiple databases set up, you can have a few different "xxxxxxItems-cMat.pdb" files in there. If you're getting error messages from it trying to read the file, then either there is truly a problem reading the file or CM2GPX doesn't recognize it as a CacheMate file (which would be an additional message to look for). If you're able to read records from some categories from the file, but not all from that same file, that doesn't make any sense. The records are read before the category filtering is done.

If you want to zip the PDB file and send it to the smittyware.com support address, I'll take a look at it and see what I can see.

Quick Q... deos Magellan Upload tell the GPS that it is sending wgs84 coords?

Coordinates in NMEA 0183 messages are always WGS84. I think that goes for the Garmin protocol as well.

Hi, thanks for your reply. All the other categories are exporting fine now, perhaps a reboot and a new hotsynch cured it. B)

Ok, I thought I understood this, but now I am not sure. If I have 3 different databases in GSAK that I want in CacheMate, do I have to import them into 3 different "categories" in the same database in CacheMate?

It seems like I can only have one database with lots of categories in CacheMate. Is this correct? Ideally, I would want to have my databases in GSAK match databases in CacheMate.

I can navigate to >CacheMate>Options>Select DB, but I can not get it to create a new database?? When I tap on the "New" button on the "Select Database" screen, nothing happens.

Thanks.

In Cachemate, go to menu/option/select db. In that screen, you can crete new databases or select between existing ones to work with.

When you import new data, it will let you choose between your databases. I have separate databases for caches and benchmarks.

Edit: I didn't read your post very closely; sorry. You have to write the name of your new database in the name field and then tap NEW to create it,.

Edited by embra

Thank you very much! I was doing it backward, trying to create a new one and then name it.

Is there any way to change or compensate for the 13 character limit in the DB name?

On edit, I have another question. When I start CacheMate, it goes directly to the "Select Import Category" screen. Why is this?

Edited by Cheminer Will

It's because there's an unimported PDB file from GSAK waiting to be integrated into Cachemate. If you don't recall sending one, just cancel it and it should ignore it after that. If you did send one, you need to run through that import process to get it into Cachemate, so choose a database and category to which to import the PDB.

I am just not having any luck with searching for my answers today!

Now my question is this. I have 400 plus records in CacheMate and want to sort them some way other than alpha. I tried "by closest", but I can not get CacheMate to accept my coordinates even though I tried several ways. In what form am I supposed to enter them?