Cachemate 4.0

Maeglin

Can I second, or third, or whatever, the request for movement between databases?

I must have completly misunderstood what this function was for. I stuck a load of waypoints in the Midlands in a second database for a trip last week, and now the ones I have found are stuck in that database. The whole point of me using a second database was so I would only be working with relevant records whilst in the Midlands, and so I could easily discard the ones I did not find when I got home. But I am stuck with the second database because there is no easy way of transfering the found records to the main database where I want them, and if I search for found caches, I only get the ones in the current database, and not all of them.

Can I second, or third, or whatever, the request for movement between databases?

I should be able to get a patch release out this weekend, that will add that as well as a handful of other tweaks and bugfixes. That's pretty much the only thing left to add, actually :P

One of the tweaks was intended to help with the problem of doing nearest cache searches from the overview display. The only person to test it so far that was having a problem didn't see any change but, as unpredictable as that problem is, there's no telling if it'll help any of the rest of you that were seeing it or not.

The only person to test it so far that was having a problem didn't see any change but, as unpredictable as that problem is, there's no telling if it'll help any of the rest of you that were seeing it or not.

I actually was hit by this bug this weekend, never happened before or since.

m515

os4.1

Version 4.0.2 is on the Smittyware site now, and will show up on other sites tomorrow. It has several bug fixes and tweaks (listed here), as well as the ability to move records between databases, both individually and in batch. The UTM plugin has also been expanded to handle other coordinate formats, and copy those to the clipboard.

I have been using cachemate for some time now and have been very impressed and happy with it's performance. Went out of state this weekend and was able to keep all of the caches separate from my home state because of the database function. It worked flawlessly all weekend. Thanks for a wonderful program!

kfishok

:o Something seems to be amiss. I downloaded version 4.02 which I think is the most current version. It loaded up just fine, but when I display the Preferences I don't get all of them, all I have is;

Delete Memo After Importing

Add Time to Log Memo title

Merge Import file records

Preserve Old item category

I think it should also have;

Auto-Set Category found

Page Select with push buttons

Anyone have any idea why I'm missing those and what I can do to fix it?

I think it should also have;

Auto-Set Category found

Page Select with push buttons

Anyone have any idea why I'm missing those and what I can do to fix it?

1) Select a record, or tap "New" if you don't have any to look at

2) Select "View Options" from the Option menu

Those options aren't gone... they've just been moved so I could have more room to cram stuff into.

Hit a wall with CacheNav.

For some reason other programs on my treo600 work with my GPS but CacheMate nav features and CacheNav do a warm reset each time I hit one of those buttons. A reset!

CacheNav is the nav "feature" for CacheMate... what else are you talking about?

Is the GPS receiver set to use the NMEA protocol?

OK, I should have been more clear.

got a Treo600.

I have both Mapopilis and Outdoor Navigator.

I have a GPS serially connected to the Treo.

Both Mapopilos and Outdoor Navigator work happily wih the GPS (moving map, etc).

bought CacheMate.

got CacheMate and CacheNav downloaded to my Treo.

including DistanceCalc, NMEA query, and UTMCoord .prc files.

downloaded .gpx files converted to .pdb to my Treo.

ran CacheMate - waypoints show up, searches work, etc.

But if I either try to run CacheNav directly or hit the "NAV" or search "from GPS" buttons in CacheMate my treo instantly does a reset.

Reset being a warm reset, cycling the power getting the Palm splash page and all that startup junk.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled (there are two Matlibs one in CacheMate and one in CacheNav, I assume they are the same but tried each one seperately anyway.. there is a builtin ROM library called MathLib by the way)

This happens regardless of wether the GPS is connected or not connected to the Treo.

In Preferences->GPS setup i've had it set to 4800 baud, 9600 baud, and 9600 baud with RTS.

[possibly irrelevant]

with no waypoint selected the "CALC" menu only shows "Calc Plugins" and that finds no plugins

with a waypoint selected teh "CALC" menu only shows "project waypoint" and "calc plugins" and "project waypoint" appears to work.

Mathlib isn't an issue, if the nearest cache search works. The only other common thing is the opening of the serial port, and why that works for Mapopolis and the other program, but not for CacheMate, is beyond me. It's not something I've ever heard of, either, so for now I've just got to assume that it's your device.

One thing to try may be to Hotsync (to back things up) and then do a hard reset to clear it out... then install CacheMate, CacheNav and the other plugins and see if they work. If they do, continue installing things until something breaks.

As far as the Calc plugins, the fact that the distance converter doesn't show up in the list view makes it sound like something deeper going on with your Treo. Either that, or you installed it on a memory card as opposed to the device's memory.

Hard restart then reinstall didn't change anything.

More info;

The plugin's are on my Treo's regular memory.

I do install the .pdb with the cache data on my Memory Card though.

The plugin's show up in the internal memory - FileZ says this about one;

Name: NMEAQuery-cMat

Type: CMEX

Creator: cmP7

Size: 6837b, 17recs

Unique ID: -1850940888, card 0

Version ID: 1

Attribute: Backup, Resource DB

I really like this application. I would LOVE icon12.gif to use it with my GPS.

Any help would be appreciated;

What are the basic resources which CacheNav depends on to run? I could search for with FileZ just to make sure they are there... I'll try anything!

Do other Treo600 users have success with CacheNav?

-t-

Edited by twilliams

I've got a theory about the crashing with the serial port... to work right with Visor handhelds, it disables the keyboard daemon in those things if it finds Handspring extensions installed. If that doesn't work with OS 5 Treo devices and instead crashes the things, it's an OS bug but not one that can't be worked around.

I just added a bit on the NMEA plugin to not do that if it's OS 5 or later... if you'll email the smittyware.com support address, I'll send that to you. It won't fix CacheNav, but if the "from GPS" button in the search dialog starts working, let me know and I'll release patches for that and everything else.

Whilst I love Cachemate, I registered it within half an hour of finding it! I do find it is missing one important feature and that is a find function. As I now have quite a few different databases it would be really nice to just put a waypoint/cache number in and be able to go straight to it. On my visor the internal find option does not work in Cachemate, so I have had to add FindHack.

Are there any plans for this in the future? thanks for a great program!

:o Z

I spent an hour last night looking for a cache in cachemate that I knew was included in the pdb file.

What I didn't know was that the name had been truncated by GSAK and that meant the first character was not a letter or a number. I eventually found the cache hidden away in the list in a place I had not expected (but would have found straight away if I had known). The find functions available were completly useless even though my search term was all but the inserted character!

Are there any plans for this in the future?  thanks for a great program!

http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/faq.php#wp_search

What I didn't know was that the name had been truncated by GSAK and that meant the first character was not a letter or a number. I eventually found the cache hidden away in the list in a place I had not expected (but would have found straight away if I had known). The find functions available were completly useless even though my search term was all but the inserted character!

If your PDA has Palm OS 4.0 or later, you could have used the Find function built into the OS, otherwise there are the known OS bugs with that and searching for waypoint IDs. Aside from that, the problem was one that's too well known in computer science... Garbage In, Garbage Out :o

I am using an old Visor for Cacheing (OS3.1H2) and

An alternative way, in CacheMate 2.3 or later, is to go to the list view, select the waypoint sort order, and start entering characters in the waypoint name (with Graffiti or an attached keyboard). The list will scroll to the first matching record as you do that.

This method doesn't work for me :o

First, the OS5/Treo problem was fixed with the patches that the Magelin worked up.

Congratulations, that was fast!

Now, I have a feature request - maybe it's too difficult, I don't know;

HOW COOL would it be to have a running (updating) list of the 6-10 closest caches while you're driving - with D/T, distance and direction listed? Answer: Pretty dadgum cool.

The reason I thought of this was CacheMate/Nav has the search by GPS location which is very handy already. But if you're on the road with a few hours to spare, you can set this thing up and it could let you know at the right moment - hey there's a 1.5/2 (D/T) cache about 2 miles east... without all the map printing and GSAK filtering you'd normally need to think about ahead of time. I keep about 600 caches in my palm, so I don't know how often the update would happen, once every 30 seconds should be fine even at 60mph.

But if you do that I think you really ought to charge $5-8 for CacheNav too.

Edited by twilliams

Updates have been released for all plugins that use the serial port, CacheNav included, to address that bug that twilliams found.

As far as the continuously updated list, a moving map type of display would be cleaner and easier and, while it's something I'm thinking of doing, I have no idea when I'll get to it :laughing:

As far as the continuously updated list, a moving map type of display would be cleaner and easier

Well if I could;

I actually use a moving map with Outdoor Navigator which has a Topo map in the background. It it useful, but wouldn't be without the street map (ie. not just floating waypoints).

The reason I suggested the list, and it may be a bad idea, is that it gets you a lot of information in a very small amount of space, and hypothetically sounds easier/faster to implement. You already have the initial list view which let's me know information about cache type, Difficulty and Terrain (key!), and the from gps view which let's you know direction (bearing) and distance. That's a lot of info that you can't get from a moving map, and a moving map w/o streets might visually give you distances to caches in an intuitive way but not much else.

I also guessed, and quite probably incorrectly, that the list view would be easier or faster to implement, so maybe you'd get a chance to get around to it.

-t-

Mapopolis will do this for you. You can export from Cachemate to Mapopolis, and Mapopolis will show the caches on the map as you drive. It ain't free, or even cheap, but it's the best mapping solution for the Palm with US maps. It will give you voice directions to any address in the US, or to any coordinates if they're in an entry in your address book.

Here's an idea I had for a cool plugin - a calculator.

Right now it's annoying to have to switch back and forth between the calculator application and CacheMate when doing multis, so maybe CacheMate could provide a calculator in the app.

Even cooler would be if I could just highlight an expression like

4 * 3 + 37 - 56 / 2 =

And it would just calculate the result and insert it into the description right there. That would save a lot of time and mitigate my questionable math skills in the field.

SnapCalc5 is great for this. It sits in memory, and when you open the command bar (swipe from the lower left to the upper right in the alpha side of the grafitti area) it allows you to select the calculator, and paste the results into whatever input box was open in the app you were using. Very nice freeware.

I have a question about Cachemate and memory cards... how do I delete a set of caches stored on a memory card, short of reformatting the entire card? I don't see anywhere to manage the files on the card, it's probably there, I just don't see it.

It's not there, mainly because CacheMate is not a file manager. There are several of those out there, though... the one I use is Filez, which is free. Search PalmGear for it.

I don't like FileZ that much. I use FileProg, which is also freeware and works better for me. The only thing I use FileZ for is viewing application preferences, and I don't need to do that very often.

Another way to remove the files from the card is by using a card reader. Windows sees the reader as just another removable drive, and you can do whatever you want to the files, and do it much faster than hotsyncing. An SD card reader is only $20 or so, and well worth the money, IMO. I'm using a Lexar JumpDrive Trio, and I love it.

What is List View in Cachemate 4.0.2?  I looked at the options, and everywhere else and do not see 'List View'?

It's the view that shows you the main list of records in the database (hence the name). It's the first thing that is displayed when you first start the program. If you see a "New" button in the lower left, then you're there. If you see a "Done" button instead, tap that and you'll get there.

I've finally got a pre-release version of a plugin SDK together. It'll be official once I've gotten some feedback on it, and I'm currently waiting on that. In the meantime, if any Palm OS developers want to get their hands on what I currently have, send an email to the smittyware.com support address.

SDK plugin?

Doesn't make much sense with the words swapped like that :(

Plugin SDK... as in, the files and documentation required to write plugins for CacheMate. Back when I first put in plugin support, I talked about making an SDK available for people to write their own. In the past few days, I've finally put together a pre-release version. After getting some feedback on it and making any needed changes, I'll be officially releasing it.

What is List View in Cachemate 4.0.2?  I looked at the options, and everywhere else and do not see 'List View'?

If you see a "New" button in the lower left, then you're there.

Well, I have been there all along. What was confusing is earlier in the thread somebody was talking about it and made it sound like something that was new. I like being able to sore by either Name or Wpt. Thanks for the heads up Maeglin.

I found this forum where people are talking about CacheMate and mentioning Outdoor Navigator. I'm the developer of Outdoor Navigator and I'm working on a plugin for connectivity between it and CacheMate.

Anyone interested in testing it?

Write to me at jeffrey.siegel@activecenter.com

I found this forum where people are talking about CacheMate and mentioning Outdoor Navigator. I'm the developer of Outdoor Navigator and I'm working on a plugin for connectivity between it and CacheMate.

Anyone interested in testing it?

Write to me at jeffrey.siegel@activecenter.com

Hells yeah. One problem though with outdoor navigator that I've noticed is that (like Mapopolis) you really don't have any tools for managing the waypoints (aka. GeoMarks). For example, you have to delete them one at a time (or go hunting for a .pdb with the points somewhere on your card/device). It's terrible when you think you're smart and download 500! Especially when you realize that it can only handle 50 visible waypoints at a time. But if you could send a single point from Cachemate to Outdoor Navigator and launch it - wow... I'd be sweet.

For the record, no one should think I'm complaining about Outdoor Navigator. Sure I'd love it to handle waypoints/routes more slickly. But as I've said in other reviews, it's inexpensive, comes with unlimited maps (all topo and nautical), does moving map with a GPS, and it's FAST for scrolling/zooming swapping map resolutions. One of the most used applications on my Treo, for caching, hiking, and sometimes driving even though I have Mapopolis.

-t-

Hey - I'm all for suggestions and ideas. I have a specific geocaching mode that I'd like to add into the product next year. It would help to locate the exact position in the last 100 feet or so.

You hit the nail on the head with your issues with Outdoor Navigator and multiple marks right now. That's why the combination of working with CacheMate is so appealing. Keep all of your cache entries in CacheMate. When you're ready to map it, hit the Map button. It will launch Outdoor Navigator. If the mark doesn't exist in Outdoor Navigator's database, it will create it. Then it will make the mark visible and center it on the screen, zoomed out, on the most detailed map available for that position.

Edited by aCappella
If the mark doesn't exist in Outdoor Navigator's database, it will create it. Then it will make the mark visible and center it on the screen, zoomed out, on the most detailed map available for that position.

Sounds great.

So you could automatically activate the mark too? Then you'd get all the bearing and distance information.

-t-

Ummmm. All of a sudden the previous logs aren't showing up. I create the Cachemate file through GSAK and have it set for 5 previous logs. THe logs do show up in GSAK. I looked at the settings in Cachemate and it's selected to show logs in the overview, but no dice. It used to work, so I'm assuming I'm doing something different but I can't figure it out. Anyone see this problem?

-t-