Cachemate 4.0

Maeglin

CacheMate 4.0 was released today, which includes the following new features...

Scrollable color "overview" display

Imagine if the Spinner/Plucker combination were text-only, and this is something like what you would get. This feature supports all current hi-res screens, virtual Graffiti areas and has native support for FontHack-compatible fonts. Options are included for adding past logs to this display, and making it the default view when you view a record. Tapping on the displayed hint text or past logs takes you to those views, for hint decoding as needed.

Multiple database support (registered only)

Create, rename, delete and switch between multiple databases. Palm OS may have a category limit of 15, but this feature allows you to crash through that.

Type-specific map symbols

In the plugins supporting symbol selection (Garmin, Magellan, and iQue), there is now support for setting map symbols based on the cache/record type. The symbol selection in those plugins has also been greatly expanded (3x as many in the Garmin plugins, 5x for Magellan). How many of those actually work will depend on your particular device, of course.

Other new features:

- Optional location averaging in GPS query plugins

- Batch record moving between categories

- Enhanced bookmark list (obeys more options from the main list view)

As always, check the documentation and FAQ before asking something, as a lot of common questions are addressed there. There's been quite a few questions answered in the previous thread, so you can also check there.

Btw, have anyone here used a Palm Vx (or similar Palm) with CacheMate to transfer waypoints to a Etrex?

Haven't dealt with that hardware specifically, but can't imagine it being much different than doing the same with any other Palm OS PDA and Garmin GPSr that both support a serial connection. Are you having problems doing it, or just wondering how?

Btw, have anyone here used a Palm Vx (or similar Palm) with CacheMate to transfer waypoints to a Etrex?

Haven't dealt with that hardware specifically, but can't imagine it being much different than doing the same with any other Palm OS PDA and Garmin GPSr that both support a serial connection. Are you having problems doing it, or just wondering how?

I have actually never thought about it, until I read the CacheMate manual :lol:

So I was just wondering...

The new version of CacheMate looks real nice..

The new version of CacheMate looks real nice..

Yeah well... I try :lol:

Unless you can find a special cable for it, then you'll need serial cables for the eTrex and the PDA, and a null modem adapter to connect them. That's what I'm personally doing, but I don't tend to do any waypoint transfers in the middle of the woods either... it's kind of bulky :o

Once you've got them connected, you just need to install the Garmin upload plugin along with CacheMate, and export buttons will appear on the list and record views. Tap one of those, select the Garmin plugin, and it'll take you from there. The eTrex needs to be set to use the Garmin protocol for communications for that to work.

I have successfully transferred data between a Palm Vx to an eTrex Vista using a cobbled together cable like Brian describes. Not using CacheMate, mind you, but the pair do work together. If you already have a serial hotsync cable and a serial GPS cable, all you need are a null modem adapter and possibly a gender changer. Both are available at Radio Shack for around $2.50 each (assuming you are in the States, that is).

should i bother to upgrade from the beta or did that part stay the same...

The beta version says 4.0.0b1 in the About box and the release version says 4.0. I don't know if Brian time bombs his betas or not, but it's a fairly common practice among software developers.

Edited by TresOkies++

My PDA broke, and I've been doing everything off of my sidekick cellphone, which is fine and all, but is a drag when you are in an area with no cell coverage. Looks like I might have to look at getting a new color PDA. I mean, I've invested the big bucks for CacheMate, I'd hate to see that investment go to waste, right?

--Marky

P.S. How would I transfer my CacheMate registration from my broken PDA to a new one?

My PDA broke, and I've been doing everything off of my sidekick cellphone, which is fine and all, but is a drag when you are in an area with no cell coverage. Looks like I might have to look at getting a new color PDA. I mean, I've invested the big bucks for CacheMate, I'd hate to see that investment go to waste, right?

--Marky

P.S. How would I transfer my CacheMate registration from my broken PDA to a new one?

As long as your Palm username is the same on your new PDA, the reg code should work fine; it's keyed to your name.

should i bother to upgrade from the beta or did that part stay the same...

The beta version says 4.0.0b1 in the About box and the release version says 4.0. I don't know if Brian time bombs his betas or not, but it's a fairly common practice among software developers.

I didn't do that in this case, but there are a couple changes between the beta and final version that you'd need to re-download for...

- Ability to choose database when importing (normal or memory card import)

- Resorting of database after selection to match current sort order

- Location averaging added to the NMEA plugin

- Location averaging and type-specific symbols added to iQue plugin

P.S.  How would I transfer my CacheMate registration from my broken PDA to a new one?

If you use the same Hotsync name, the same code should work. Otherwise, email the support address and we'll work it out.

Edited by Maeglin

Cachemate problems.

A screen pops up when I click on the cmconverter from the desk top, it

says in the blue bar part, Cmconverter.exe - Unable To Locate

Component White part of pop up, This application has failed to start

because LIBEXPAT.dll was not found.

Re-installing it a few times still did not work.

Anyone got any thoughts? About Cachemate?

Don

Sounds like you either copied cmconvert.exe by itself to a directory somewhere, or tried to run it straight from the zip file (double-clicked in Winzip or something). Neither of those will work. You need to extract all of the files and run the program from the location it ends up at.

All of the required files for it to run are there, but it can't see them if you don't unpack the zip file properly.

Well I removed all the cachemate. Redown loaded it and still have the same problem. Anyone want to give out there phone number and I can call or call me.

I have Windows XP Pro on a Compaq nx7000 laptop. 707.778.8242 pacific time, please not after 10pm.

Thanks, Don

Well I removed all the cachemate. Redown loaded it and still have the same problem.

I'm not sure how many ways the solution can be explained. All of the files necessary to run CMConvert are in the zip file, you just need to extract them out of that file correctly. XP may make those kind of files look like ordinary directories, but they are hardly the same thing.

I don't use XP at home, or I'd give step-by-step instructions. I do know there is a way to do it, though... something along the lines of a file extraction wizard or something.

Don,

I have XP Pro here at work and I'm able to run CMConvert just fine. I have SP2 installed as well.

Here's what I did.

1 - Download zip file to desktop

2 - Double clicked it to open it and then unzipped all files using the build in unzipping wizard. All files were extracted to the cachmate-1.86 folder (or something like that).

3 - I then opened that folder and double clicked on the cmconvert application.

4 - I did receive a security warning from XP but I told it to run the application and it ran just fine.

If you don't mind how about posting the exact steps you've taken to download, install and run it.

Zack

First of all, thanks for Cachemate, Brian. I don't know what I'd do without it.

Here's a minor enhancement request/bug fix for Cachemate 4.0. When you show the distance to a cache on the "Nearest Caches" screen, please specify whether the units are nautical miles or statute miles. In both cases the units are labeled "mi". I stumbled over this when I installed Cachemate 4.0 beta and my preferred distance units spontaneously changed to nautical miles. It took me a while to figure out why my GPSr thought waypoints were 20% farther away than Cachemate did. :o

Don,

I have XP Pro here at work and I'm able to run CMConvert just fine. I have SP2 installed as well.

Here's what I did.

1 - Download zip file to desktop

2 - Double clicked it to open it and then unzipped all files using the build in unzipping wizard. All files were extracted to the cachmate-1.86 folder (or something like that).

3 - I then opened that folder and double clicked on the cmconvert application.

4 - I did receive a security warning from XP but I told it to run the application and it ran just fine.

If you don't mind how about posting the exact steps you've taken to download, install and run it.

Zack

IT WORKS!!!!!! Some how I did not make a short cut on my desk top for the cmconvert. Before it was on the desk top but maybe just an icon?

Now the fun begins.

Don

I finally have a working version of the CacheMate PDB-to-GPX converter, called CM2GPX (yeah, not too imaginative... oh well :-), which can work with both import and backup PDB files. It uses Groundspeak extensions as needed, and also has its own namespace for the Log view. It outputs GPX 1.0 for now, but I'll be adding 1.1 as soon as Jeremy figures out how he'll put the Groundspeak extensions in that schema (I want it to be at least fairly compatible with other programs).

For those that are interested in pulling CacheMate log information out of the GPX file, the schema for my GPX extension is here:

http://www.smittyware.com/schema/cmlog/1/0/cmlog.xsd

It's pretty simple at the moment, but it gets the job done :huh:

...and, oh yeah, it's a GPLed program. Both the source code and a Windows executable are available. The source code should compile and work on at least most *nix variants, including Mac OS X.

I finally have a working version of the CacheMate PDB-to-GPX converter, called CM2GPX

The source code should compile and work on at least most *nix variants, including Mac OS X.

I can confirm that this compiles and runs on OS X (10.3.5) - I'm looking at incorporating it into MacCMConvert.

thanks,

JeremyA

Ok, so here are my questions...

1) NMEAQuerry Averaging... It says the coordinates and has a cancel button. it averages while on this screen. does it eventually finish averaging or do you always have it hit cancel to continue...?!?

2) is a new CacheNav version in the works?!? the only reason i ask is i am stuck at 0.92 still. just curious, not a big deal. 1.02 has 1 feature i want but i don't need it. i just wonder.

3) on the wishlist page you mention support for exporting waypoints to mapping sw. I use quovadis 3.0.6 on the palm. this app uses a :) database :D for all its waypoints. gpsbabel can create waypoint files for this app so i guess exporting to it is possible and the format is KNOWN. Would it be possible to have this be added to an export plugin?!?

4) the price went up on your site a buck. what gives man?!? don't you realize it is worth more than 8 bucks?!? :D

thanks

1) NMEAQuerry Averaging... It says the coordinates and has a cancel button.  it averages while on this screen.  does it eventually finish averaging or do you always have it hit cancel to continue...?!?

RTFM, dude :)"When valid location samples start to arrive, the average will be displayed in the progress dialog. Once this happens, tap Cancel to end sampling."

I'd change the button label if I could, but it doesn't look like I can with what I'm using for a GUI there.

2) is a new CacheNav version in the works?!?  the only reason i ask is i am stuck at 0.92 still.  just curious, not a big deal.  1.02 has 1 feature i want but i don't need it.  i just wonder.

Not really... there's not much that I have to do to that program in the near future, aside from getting the current version to work with your particular GPS Companion (it works for others with similar hardware, but not for you... not sure why), and I'm not sure what broke with that or how to fix it. What feature is it that you were wanting?

3) on the wishlist page you mention support for exporting waypoints to mapping sw.  I use quovadis 3.0.6 on the palm.  this app uses a  :D database  :D for all its waypoints.  gpsbabel can create waypoint files for this app so i guess exporting to it is possible and the format is KNOWN.  Would it be possible to have this be added to an export plugin?!?

After looking at the record format, it looks doable... I take it that quovadis can do multiple waypoint databases? Looks like it can, at least.

4) the price went up on your site a buck.  what gives man?!? don't you realize it is worth more than 8 bucks?!?  :D

:D I'm trying to be gentle, here :D

on the topic of #3 i would do it but i know JACK about palm programing and i don't think you have released a SDK that i think you mentioned once before.

Not yet... should happen, though, as soon as I manage to not change it for a month or two :D I may change it again in a 4.1 release, but I'm not sure.

3) on the wishlist page you mention support for exporting waypoints to mapping sw.  I use quovadis 3.0.6 on the palm.  this app uses a  :D database  :D for all its waypoints.  gpsbabel can create waypoint files for this app so i guess exporting to it is possible and the format is KNOWN.  Would it be possible to have this be added to an export plugin?!?

After looking at the record format, it looks doable... I take it that quovadis can do multiple waypoint databases? Looks like it can, at least.

from what i have read there is ONE waypoint database and can only be ONE. i have tried to have more than ONE but it just doesn't seem to work.

from the gpsbabel readme file...

One thing of note, QuoVadis stores all waypoints in a single

Palm Database without using categories. This means that it may

be difficult to keep personal waypoints separate from

generated waypoints. What Bruce recommends is taking the

QuoVadisMarkerDB.PDB file synced down from your Palm Powered

device and extract the waypoints you personally set to a GPX

file. Then using GPSBabel's joining capabilities generate a

new PDB file from the personal file and the other waypoint

files of interest.

Currently the selection of icons to display and the scale at

which to display them is hardcoded. Also there is no support

for notes associated with waypoints. This will be addressed in

a future revision.

I just create a new file with gpsbabel and it all works. each map has POI's that you can toggle on/off they look the same but are not in an editable DB.

If i could have multiple DB's i don't think i would have asked about this feature. ah well. it would be nice to be able to export to the map on the fly. :)

it also doesn't like the memory card :D but that is easil worked around by keeping data over there and only copying data i need over to the palm.

After looking into the DB format a little more, the multiple database thing is only one thing that is deterring me from doing this plugin now. That aspect of Cetus GPS (the fact that it does support that) made exporting to that app extremely easy.

The other is the fact that QuoVadis apparently stores all of the waypoints in a single record of the PDB file... at least that's what I gathered from the GPSBabel source... ick :)

Couldn't leave CM2GPX well enough alone after getting 1.0 out this weekend... just put 1.0.1 on the site, which adds a few enhancements and fixes, most of those in hindsight. I've also got it parsing dates from the CacheMate file for waypoint timestamps... it can handle pretty much any numeric date format that exists, and a few that don't :(

I just paid for cache mate and it doesn't say what to do next so i'm  a little lost, help please.

It would help to know specifically what you're trying to figure out how to do. If you're wondering where to enter the registration code, read the email containing the code again and/or check the FAQ... all of those answers are there.

If you're looking for a tutorial, there are at least three to choose from.

Edited by Maeglin
I just paid for cache mate and it doesn't say what to do next so i'm  a little lost, help please.

It would help to know specifically what you're trying to figure out what to do. If you're wondering where to enter the registration code, read the email containing the code again and/or check the FAQ... all of those answers are there.

If you're looking for a tutorial, there are at least three to choose from.

excellent, that will work

thanks for the fast reponse

I finally have a working version of the CacheMate PDB-to-GPX converter, called CM2GPX

Excellent. I remember requesting something like this a while ago so I'm happy to see it come into existence!

I've updated my Geocaching Express Logger so you can now upload CacheMate PDB databases directly. I use cm2gpx on the server to convert the file to GPX. No more exporting to memo pad, then exporting from Palm Desktop.

Thanks, Brian!

Doh! I knew I forgot something in the documentation... sorry. I guess the reason no one brought it up before was that all of those trying the multiple database support were already familiar with Cetus GPS... it basically works the same in both programs.

I've added documentation to the site, and will add it into the download package with the next release:

http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/doc.php#multidb

Is there a way to transfer waypoints from one database to another. For instance I like to keep my found caches on the Palm just in case I want to go back to them. If I could move them out to another database searches would be faster on nearby caches.

Not currently, but that is something on the list for a 4.1 release. What I may end up doing is expanding on the "move records" popup to allow selection of database as well as category, like I'm doing with the import records popup now.

In the meantime, does the current category pre-filter fall short of what you need, as far as speeding up the search goes?

As a registered Cachemate user is it possible to install and register on both of my PDA's that have different user names? It seems that I can only register it on the one with the user name that I first installed it on. Do I need to buy a second copy of cachemate to do this?

If this is the same person that just emailed the support address, I've already answered this privately. Licensing is per-user, so... yes and no, in that order.