Broken Garmin

se6git

I started geocaching just last week. Today I borrowed a Garmin GPS 12 XL from work. I managed to drop it and now the screen shows black when I turn it on. When I turn it off it shows one vertical line in the centre, even without the batteries being in. It seems pretty fatal to me but is it? Has anyone been as clumsy as me and managed to fix it? I have being working as a surveyor for about 8 years and this is the first time I have broken any equipment. Sod law meant it happened on my own time.

I've dropped all of my handheld Garmins and they handle the shock quite well. As opposed to the 3-4 Palm PDAs that I've killed by droppage. If the unit appears to turn on and the screen is turning black when powered, that's a pretty sure sign that the LCD is broken. Garmin is pretty good about fixing units under warranty, no matter the problem. If I recall correctly, their repair cost on out of warranty units is around $125.

1-800-800-1020 is Garmin's technical support line.

-E