Meeting other's while searching for cache.

gunx

When people approach you while you're looking for cache, what do you do? Do you speak into your "cell phone", walk away, introduce yourself, make gaseous noises or other?

I hunted two caches on Sunday. During the first hunt I was approached by someone wearing a tshirt that had the geocache.com logo on it. Ziggy and crew introduced themselves, glad they did. Always like meeting nice people.

During the second hunt we passed by a family on a trail and didn't think much of it. When we got closer to the cache, we saw them again and they introduced themselves. Team rattlehead and made it a two team search. Again, I'm glad they introduced themselves.

Sunday:

Score 2 cache's

Reaffirmed faith in human race

We wear a geocaching patch on our hats and/or a geocaching tee-shirt and recommend all other cachers wear something to identify themselves. It's always great to meet another cacher on the trail, especially someone we don't know yet.

The only problem with meeting a fellow geocacher on the trail is that we waste a lot of valuable caching time swapping war stories!

We've also been asked what geocaching is by curious people who've seen the patch / tee-shirts, so then we get to play recruiter which is also great.

If we don't see a patch or don't know them, we go into our trash out mode untill it's safe to continue.

All in all I'd rather not meet other cachers. However if someone comes up and busts me caching I'd like to know they are cachers. If the cache is being hard to find, I'd love the help much more than I'd like to be left alone.

On the other hand I like busting caches. They are so funny when they are trying to look and be discrete at the same time. Normally I let them sweat and wonder why I'm not leaving. Then I introduce myself.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I've yet to meet any other cachers, and I've gone on about 15 hunts so far. Haven't had to resort to the "cell phone method" yet, either, but I know that day will come... icon_wink.gif Usually when I see others on the path, I just act like I'm out for a stroll and make sure they're out of sight before I dive off the path and start searching in the woods for the cache. I think I may start carrying a couple of little business cards with me that have a brief explanation of the game, and stuff like that, in case passersby become interested, or if I have to explain to "the man" why I'm poking around in the middle of nowhere. icon_wink.gif

---

Grove City College

Well, I usually look for the most tell-tale sign that they are a geocacher - that would be the GPS in their hand! If they've got one, I introduce myself. If not, I will pretend to be doing something else like picking up trash. I often wonder how many people think I am just looking for a place to go to the bathroom!

Always fun to meet other cachers on the trail, but it doesn't happen that often. But funny story, I just got my mom hooked on geocaching. She lives in Winnipeg, Manitoba where there are only 48 geocaches in the 100 mile radius of her house. The first cache hunt she went out on, she met up with some other cachers. What are the odds?

-Junglehair

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Well west penn cachers are getting easy to spot, we are the people wearing fishing vests no where near a place to fish. After seeing Daddy Lep's vest it just seemed so much more logical than toting around a huge pack full of crap. My fishinv vest may weigh 15lbs but it doesn't wear as heavily as a pack and allows me to use a much smaller less expensive hydration pack than I would need woth all the other crap in it.

We personally have never run across any other cachers on the trail. We once say a couple that we thought may have been cachers but we wern't sure. The must not have been there were no other logs for that cache the day we were there.

Eeyore

I'm one sat short of triangulation.

quote:
Originally posted by junglehair:

I often wonder how many people think I am just looking for a place to go to the bathroom!

Can't help but respond to this icon_smile.gif This weekend some poor mother was embarrassed to death as her child, upon seeing us poking about near a trail, exclaimed "Look! There's people crapping in the woods!"

quote:
Originally posted by Team Donutdog:

This weekend some poor mother was embarrassed to death as her child, upon seeing us poking about near a trail, exclaimed "Look! There's people crapping in the woods!"

Great story! I'm still laughing.

-Junglehair

There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.