Inactive Members

Evil Chicken

Dumb questions here....

What defines an "Inactive Member?" I do speak English and understand what both "Inactive" and "Member" mean, but I know of accounts that haven't logged in to the site since 2002 that are listed as "Member" and one that logged in as recently as Sept. 8, 2004, and is now listed as "Inactive Member." :blink:

How exactly does one go about receiving "Inactive Member" status? (Not that I want to do this). Do you have to request it? If a "Premium Membership" is not renewed, their status returns to "Member." I'm so confused!

uperdooper - I have read that if a user has ever logged a cache then that username is forever taken. The logs are part of Geocaching history and need to be preserved.

If you find a username taken but they never logged any caches then you can ask to have that username. (may or may not be given - up to TPTB )

How exactly does one go about receiving "Inactive Member" status? (Not that I want to do this).

I think inactive members are people who've yet to activate their accounts and those whose e-mail address is no longer valid, causing e-mails from this site to get bounced.

If you find a username taken but they never logged any caches then you can ask to have that username.

I don't know for a fact, but I read somewhere in the forums that you can by e-mailing this webiste (contact@geocaching.com). I'm sure that if they do this, it would only be done for an account name with no finds or hides..