Linking Pda To Gps

GeoSar

Palms will not connect to a GPS via USB. You must have a serial cable to do this. Maybe the standard Garmin to Palm cable will work, but you'll probably have to tell the GPS to use serial, however that is done.

To export from Cachemate to a GPS, you have to download the Garmin plugin. It's available on the Smittyware site. Load both Cachemate and the Garmin plugin onto your Palm, and you'll see an Export button, which will send the waypoints to the GPS.

Maybe I should be more detailed in my question,

can I dump from my PDA to my gps in my case a Zire 71 to a Garmin 60 can I do this and what is the exact cable part number that I need, I hate to ask so many questions but this seems the be the best place to get answers,

Many thanks to all who answer

Doug

AKA GeoSar

Edited by GeoSar
ok I got my Pda Zire 71 and I got my GPS 60C and I am ordering the cable to link the two of them, once I get the cable how do I download from the PDA to the gps I use cachemate and I have looked but see nowhere on Cachemate where you can download to a pda

GeoSar

I managed to hook up my GPS and PDA by using a serial cradle (pda) and using a 9 pin null modem to connect it to the serial cable for my GPS.

On the GPS 60 I had to change the communication protocol from Garmin to NMES or whatever it's called (don't have my GPS with me at the moment).

Here's a great link that gives you a lot of information on doing what you're asking;

http://www.mdgps.org/modules.php?name=pocketcaching

Edited by jollybgood

GeoStar

If you can get the serial connection working you can use GPilotS to transfer data between you Palm PDA and a Garmin GPSr. Not sure if it supports USB yet.

I use it to backup my GPSr data while I'm away from a PC. It also emulates a GPSr so you can dump data from the PDA directly into a any programs that supports GPS receivers (Ozi, Fugawi, etc.). More info on this at my site.

Edited by PDOP's