Vandalism Again

briansnat

It is an issue around here. We were meeting with state rangers a few months ago and they brought it up and warned us. The break-ins are usually in broad daylight. They'll often watch you leave your car and if you're alone, they will break in on the passenger side so you may not notice it for a day or two.

They will also search for your wallet, or purse and sometimes just write down your credit card info and replace it, so that you never know until you get your bill.

The parking lots on Skyline Drive are a hotspot, as is the main lot in Ringwood SP. The parking areas along Clinton Road are another problem area.

Thanks, Brian - I was curious - cause when BP said vandalism - I wasn't sure if he meant break in or just kids doing stupid crap. And that sucks, b/c JMB and I were discussing hitting the Hiker Series as well as the others there. Guess he will have to drive the red jeep out there.

No, Dave - I was not celebrating the new year!!! :)

First a few Newcastles, then a few Guinness and ended with a few Coronas.

Days off are good!!!!

I was trying to get this reply in to the other clsoed discussion, but I will put it here.

A while back I had a similar issue in the parking lot at Ramapo Reservation. They apparently tried to break into the passenger side door like Brian said.

Unfortunately for them, they broke the tip of the screwdriver off in the door of my mighty Saturn. I just pulled it back out with my Leatherman and called it a day.

Why was the original topic closed?

"I" "don't" "know".

The vandalism sucks though. It's a common problem at parking areas along the AT (people figure you're going to be off hiking for a few days). You'd think those area's would be patrolled regularly - but the cops can't be everywhere I guess.

Nothing funny about it though - sorry to hear folks got hit.

Thanks, Brian - I was curious - cause when BP said vandalism - I wasn't sure if he meant break in or just kids doing stupid crap. And that sucks, b/c JMB and I were discussing hitting the Hiker Series as well as the others there. Guess he will have to drive the red jeep out there.

!

Well keep it in perspective. I've been hiking around here once or twice a week for about 20 years and haven't experienced a break-in. But of course now that I said that, its gonna happen soon.

f071d6b7-a6d5-4e75-9ad0-188260ad4256.jpg

Yep, that's my car. It happens all over.

Read my logs and Voltaire's log on this cache

I called the newspaper, they couldn't run a story without the police telling them about it, so I called the "Whaddya Say?" column and complained there about the rash of robberies. next thing you know the paper is running a full page story about how great the park is. And I'm seeing more cops patrolling the parking lot. Sometimes 2 at a time. It makes me feel a little better.

Edited by Planet
Just a word of warning ... my car was vandalized while I was doing the new "Pot of Gold" cache in the High Mountain Reserve this morning. Watch where you park, even in the busiest, most public of places.

kar·ma (kärma) n.

1) The total effect of a person's actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny.

2) Fate; destiny.

I'd take my car if I thought they would steal the thing. I'm getting bored and want something new anyway. :lol:

Thanks, Brian - I was curious - cause when BP said vandalism - I wasn't sure if he meant break in or just kids doing stupid crap.  And that sucks, b/c JMB and I were discussing hitting the Hiker Series as well as the others there.  Guess he will have to drive the red jeep out there.

I'd take my car if I thought they would steal the thing. I'm getting bored and want something new anyway. :unsure:

Maybe we can work something out, I'm getting bored with my car as well... trade for a few months? Or, let me know when and where you're parking and I'll take it off your hands. Just don't forget to leave the keys in the ignition with the doors unlocked. ;)

BOT, I parked in several locations last Thursday and also yesterday, in the High Mountain Wilderness area BP mentioned earlier. They were mostly near dead-ends, circles with obstructed views, or alongside roads that don't see much traffic. I had my pack all ready before I reached the areas, and left nothing of interest visible inside the car. I think thats about as much as you can do to deter possible break-ins (outside of leaving a live rattlesnake inside). I also leave no valuables in case one does occur. Although they are bound to occur either way, every time valuables are found, it offers encouragement for the perps and probably results in more future break-ins in these types of areas. As far as aimless teens vandalizing, I think you're at their mercy.

I parked in several locations last Thursday and also yesterday, in the High Mountain Wilderness area BP mentioned earlier. They were mostly near dead-ends, circles with obstructed views, or alongside roads that don't see much traffic.

... or in busy, patrolled parking lots in the area designated for hikers?

Edited by BassoonPilot
I parked in several locations last Thursday and also yesterday, in the High Mountain Wilderness area BP mentioned earlier. They were mostly near dead-ends, circles with obstructed views, or alongside roads that don't see much traffic.

... or in busy, patrolled parking lots in the area designated for hikers?

Unfortunately I didn't find any of those, wish I had! Its a real bummer if it happens in a patrolled lot like you said. Maybe the rattler idea wasn't so bad.

btw, do you have the coords of one of those lots?

Edited by Crouching Hiker, Hidden Cache