Cache creation tips...

Guest Mike_Teague

Guest Mike_Teague

the mountains, looking _specifically_ for an area that was A) off-the-beaten-path, and had :D good SATELLITE VISIBILITY.. (this incldes tree canopy)

Figuring that since the game was created around the GPS system, and typical GPS receivers need a clear view of the sky (not withstanding active antennas and such) for _reliable_ position fixes, I kept out of thick forests... I tried to find open meadows, etc. where I could get 6 or 8 sats with good strenth, and a DOP under 1.5... My opinion was further reinforced while on one hunt in Oregon, when I decided to "just take the Etrex, it's all we'll need", into a thick douglas fir forest, and was only able to get a consistent position fix every 100 meters or so, if I sat still under a small opening in the canopy for awhile to let teh GPS work.. We eventually found the cache, but only by chance, and two people 200 feet apart scrambling around looking under every log and behind every stump... This doesn't necessarily worry me for myself, because I have found the Etrex to be sub-optimal in those type conditions, and I have another unit that works fine under that kind of canopy.. but ALOT of people are using the inexpensive Etrex and such...

I have always considered the fact that even with SA off, under ideal conditions (say, DOP right around 1.0) we have reliable 10 meter accuracy.. Under LESS than ideal conditions, like under trees, in valleys, etc. when ya see your DOP shoot up to 2 or 3 or more, thats 20 or 30 meters or more...

Therefore, my idea was to find locations where you could get good geometry, and good reception.. the theoretical 10 meter accuracy.. and THEN, place the cache so it would be visible once you were within 10 meters... This is obviously unrealistic, but it is a good theory to start from...

Anyhow, just thought I'd share those tidbits, if anyone cares icon_smile.gif

Internal condensation of water vapor can be a problem. In addition to sealing everything in its own individual ziploc bag, I also placed a sack of calcium chloride dessicant in the cache to hopefully soak up moisture. Silica gel would be better, but I didn't have any on hand. I think you can buy it at craft stores; people use it to dry flowers. It's the same stuff that's labeled "Do not eat" in the box with your new gadget.

-Ethan

Guest Mike_Teague

Good idea, actually I have put a little bag of silica gel in a cache somewhere (i forget which one) .. wasn't sure if it would actually work, but i guess maybe it will!

I understand about the issue of deep forested areas, but I can't help it, especially since the Northwest is known for its huge trees and mountains icon_smile.gif I suppose if you do decide to hide a stash in one of these locations, some letterboxing-type hints would come in handy. Like my Monte Cristo stash.

Also, when seeking out one of these caches, getting a good read in an open area, then trekking with a compass would probably steer you close enough to a cache. I haven't personally tried this though.

Jeremy

I just discovered this game, and I'm about to place my first cache. I just want to test the waters here, so to speak. Would anyone out there be motivated enough to go an island accesible only by boat or kayak? I live in Florida, and have the perfect spot in mind, but Im not sure if anyone would even go for it. I dont't want to drop one and not have it get visited. Please let me know what you think.

John

Guest Mike_Teague

I'm sure _eventually_ you will get a few people to actually go out to and search for it..

but generally speaking, the easier it is to get to, the more people yer gonna attract...

But keep in mind, there are caches on "regular" land that haven't even been found yet...

I'm not tryin' to discourage you, but if you do place one on and island and check on it in a month and see no visitors in the logbook, dont be disappointed! icon_smile.gif

I hid a cache here in Napa County California on December 24, 2000. I then set the info into www.geocaching.com 2 times but it has not shown up. They have not responded to my email. How do I wake someone up there?

quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Teague:

I'm sure _eventually_ you will get a few people to actually go out to and search for it..

but generally speaking, the easier it is to get to, the more people yer gonna attract...

But keep in mind, there are caches on "regular" land that haven't even been found yet...

I'm not tryin' to discourage you, but if you do place one on and island and check on it in a month and see no visitors in the logbook, dont be disappointed! icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by k7pbx (edited 12-28-2000).]

Here's another idea. when you get a new

gadget with the famous "do not eat" dessicant, save the little pouch, and take

it with you on your next outing. if there

is one in the cache, exchange it and take the

other one home. you can pop them in the oven at about 150 degrees for something like 2 hours and the will give off the moisture they have absorbed, and be ready to go into the next cache you find or put out. now how many people recycle THOSE things?

Guest nevcowpok

Some geocashers feel that after they have found a cash they have to hide it or cover it up, this makes it very difficult for the next geocasher... I feel that a cash should be placed where it is unlikely that someone will accidently come across it and where a geocash hunter can spot it when within a few feet. When you get to the lat/lon is there a need to bushwack for 30 mins?

True, burying it isn't always a good idea, but most Geocachers will understand that, as they get closer to a cache, for example, and they see a rock outcroping or slope (*cough cough* *smile*), there is likely a cache located close. Hiding it in a rocky crevice is great protection and a great place to hide something, especially in urban/suburban environments. In the boonies, don't go to so much trouble. Driving there and hiking is enough of a challenge.

Guest lgoldman

MIKE TEAGUE--

My name is Lea Goldman. I am a reporter for Forbes Magazine. Working on a geocaching story. Wanted to touch base with you or David Ulmerny idea how to reach him?) re: geocaching. Looking for some good background on the sport.

Can I call you on Thursday or early next week? Going on my first hunt tomorrow AM. Very excited.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Lea Goldman

Forbes

lgoldman@forbes.com

Guest BigFig

I just placed my first cache. I put several valuable items in it - including an 18K ring I made, so I don't want it to be visible so just any yahoo trekking along will find it. My solution was to hide it a bit (ain't gonna tell you everything), then give more detailed directions on what a geochacher is to look for once they get in the target area.

Guest robanna

I have decided that the most important thing I can put in a cache is TRASH BAGS! That way everyone can take out more trash then they come with. I am now including them in all of my futre caches as well as going back to the ones I have already planted with bags.

Lets do some good while we are on the trails.

Guest RyckZ

Polaroid makes the $20, "I-Zone" instant picture camera. You can get "sticky" film for it so that visitors can paste their picture in the logbook if they like. Polaroid also makes a $25 "Webster" portable scanner to capture those "I-Zone" pictures. It fits in the palm of your hand,is battery operated and stores 20 pics. You then take it back to your computer and connect it with a serial cable to download the pics from the scanner's memory. Great application for GeoCache Websites. Just get permission before posting pictures. I'll be posting some soon at http://www.tbbs.com/~zarick/GeoCache/