Scratched Screen

Off the Edge

Happened to mine and I lived with it for quite a while. It was annoying because the shadow of the scratch looked like a track, or road on the map. Anyway, Garmin replaced it when I sent it back for another reason for warranty repair.

And as soon as I got it back, my wife fell with it in her hand and smashed it . That cost me $125 to fix :blink:.

:blink: My son used my Garmin Vista to break his fall and scratched the screen. Any suggestions on a really good plastic polish or a easy and chep repair?

Thanks OTE

You may want to try Novus. They have different compounds to choose from depending on the depth of the scratch. For example Novus 1 is mainly for cleaning and protection.

I agree on the $15 case -

I have fixed watch 'crystals' by carefully using a pencil eraser -

you can also use tooth paste to polish it using your finger

I have use Novus which is a 3 stage kit in a work environment

http://www.snowdomes.com/LARGE_IMAGES/novus.html

motorcycle shops sell a great plastic polish also for the plexiglass windshields

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/memiglclplpo.html

which is what I used for years and is made specifically for CLEAR plastic

I don't have any suggestions on fixing it but you should definately invest in some PDA screen protectors. They use a mild adhesive that won't hurt your screen and you can replace them easily as they take some tumbles themselves. They're cheap and work great on digicams too.

Thorin

I'd recommend a case with clear cover over the screen -

I have a magellan case that is like a wet suit material (what do they call that stuff?) - soft streatchable but tuff foam with a clear vinyl window for the buttons and the screen. Dropped it once in the street and did not even hear it hit - now that is a nice protective case.

some gels do have the pummice grit in it - the clear gels are useless and you'll only get a minty sticky finger :) - the reason it works is the grit in it.

colgate is good but a little course -

you can also go the jewlers rouge route and get 3 or 4 different grits and work your way up - as with the tooth paste keep it wet and use your finger - is it soft and take some of the pressure - you may have to work harder and longer but you save the plastic and get a better finish.

Keep a light and even pressure on and rub in small circles -

with the pencil erasor (USE ONLY SOFT PINK ERASERS!) -- follow the scratch gently - the idea is to cut the sides of the scratch down and smooth the scratch - you don't want to be going too far out. After using the eraser you may need to use TP or rouge to clear up a little 'haze'.

Edited by CompuCash

I always put a piece of clear weather-stripping tape over the screens of my techno-gizmos to protect them. Made by 3M, its clear, thick and strong enough to take the incidental beatings incurred from butter fingers.

The neoprene cases mentioned are of course the best way to go, but there isn't one made for my "old faithful". Even if I do find one, I'll still use the tape trick for added protection.

I took a slip on a trail a couple of weeks ago, and 'power punched' the GPSr into the ground about 2 inches. Having just gotten a PDA and the screen protecters, I'd added one to the GPSr - worked like a charm, the protecter got scratched, but not the screen. When I added he protecter it helped blend out a few small scratches I already had in the screen.

If you have an airport near you go to the shop that caters to pilots. Ask about Meguiers plastic polishes, there are different grades, its used for the canopies on aircraft. It cost about $7.00 a bottle, if its a deep scratch they have a kit with sandpaper in it 3000 grit if I remember right.

I started using it many years ago for the side windows on my CJ5 jeep soft top, it has many uses. :)

P.S. works alot better then tooth paste

Edited by vagabond
If you have an airport near you go to the shop that caters to pilots. Ask about Meguiers plastic polishes, there are different grades, its used for the canopies on aircraft. It cost about $7.00 a bottle, if its a deep scratch they have a kit with sandpaper in it 3000 grit if I remember right.

I started using it many years ago for the side windows on my CJ5 jeep soft top, it has many uses. :)

P.S. works alot better then tooth paste

that's the Mirror Glaze I mentioned above - with a link -

If the glaze doesn't work, another option is to contact Garmin directly - and have the screen replaced. Quite often they will do repairs for a (very) minimal fee - unlike repair shops - for good publicity, I guess.

A cacher I know slid down a rocky hill on his brand-new 60CS. Quotes from repair shops averaged around $200. Garmin replaced the entire unit for $50.

- hamgran

Thank you for this thread! I had my first GPS for one day and my toddler put a big scratch in the screen. I had no idea those screens were so delicate. I thought I was going to have to deal with it forever, but then I tried the toothpaste and it took it right out! Yay!

I used Crest Multicare whitening gel (in fresh mint) - a little tiny smidgen of it and rubbed with my finger. Perfecto!

So Thanks!! (And now the GPS is in its case!)

Stop by a local airport and go to one of the FBO's (Fixed Base Operators). They usually sell stuff to used on the plexiglass windshields of small aircraft to remove scratches. If not...ask one of the mechanics for a little. It comes in a plastic bottle...like Elmers glue.

I see a post up above refering to this too......

Edited by GURU4HIRE

Thank you for this thread! I had my first GPS for one day and my toddler put a big scratch in the screen. I had no idea those screens were so delicate. I thought I was going to have to deal with it forever, but then I tried the toothpaste and it took it right out! Yay!

I used Crest Multicare whitening gel (in fresh mint) - a little tiny smidgen of it and rubbed with my finger. Perfecto!

So Thanks!! (And now the GPS is in its case!)

I've used tooth paste before to remove scratches in CDs and DVDs that wouldn't play.

But Invisible Shield is the way to go. Don't use those crappy 6-in-a-pack PDA protectors. There's a reason they come in multiples - they're cheap and don't last.

Happened to mine and I lived with it for quite a while. It was annoying because the shadow of the scratch looked like a track, or road on the map. Anyway, Garmin replaced it when I sent it back for another reason for warranty repair.

And as soon as I got it back, my wife fell with it in her hand and smashed it . That cost me $125 to fix ;).

125 bucks is not bad for a new wife (rimshot) :laughing:

My new eXplorist 500 developed what looks like a scratch INSIDE the screen. As if some of the material used for the display eroded. It's about a quarter inch long and thin as a hair running vertically on the screen. A couple of weeks later a similar one developed running horizontal (not touching the first one.)

Anyone ever seen that before?

I bought one of these and I'm very happy with it. I handled my GPSr like it was the Golden Chalice until the case was delivered and shortly after putting the GPSr into it a huge set of parallel scrapes showed up on it that I was *so* glad weren't on the GPSr! I must of stuck it in my pocket along with my keys. Eck!

It cushions the GPSr nicely and comes with a carabiner that's great for clicking onto your belt loop.

Note: Not affiliated with Glisson® but willing to take kickbacks through PayPal.

Edited by Skull King

My daughter recently placed our scratch free legend in with a pretty cluster of crystal in her caching bag, she did not know any better, and now it has a lot of nice marks on it. I tried the colgate toothpaste last night for a while, normal white paste, and apart from my finger and the gps smelling minty, not much had changed.

How long do you normally rub?

Brasso! No doubt about it. I used it to get the scratches out of my iPod screen, and when I was done it looked like new.

Use a cotton cloth (NOT a cloth that will scratch the screen further) and a dab of Brasso. Rub the screen in small circles, using some pressure, and after about 30 minutes you should see a much better looking screen. It took me 45 minutes to do the entire face of the iPod, so a Vista screen should take a little less.

After you're done, go with InvisibleShield! That was the first thing I did for my iPod after cleaning it. If I ever decide to clean the Vista I'll put one on it too.

I don't have any suggestions on fixing it but you should definately invest in some PDA screen protectors. They use a mild adhesive that won't hurt your screen and you can replace them easily as they take some tumbles themselves. They're cheap and work great on digicams too.

Thorin

I tried this on my 76CSx and it made the screen look very pixelated and hard to read :laughing:

Still looking for another option. Personally I don't like cases. All I really care about is the screen.

Thorin

I tried this on my 76CSx and it made the screen look very pixelated and hard to read :)

Still looking for another option. Personally I don't like cases. All I really care about is the screen.

The InvisibleShield on my iPod doesn't change the way the screen looks at all, nor does it use adhesive to apply, only soapy water (and not enough to damage it, just to get the surface a little wet).

Thorin

I tried this on my 76CSx and it made the screen look very pixelated and hard to read :)

There's a huge difference between the crappy off-the-rack PDA protectors, and Invisible Shield.