Locationless Caches

Mousetrap

Just an observation....wonder why nobody ever came up with the idea to enter "crop circles" as a locationless cache...........???????

Because 'Cars on Poles' was next in line and they said "Whoa! That's enoungh of this doodoo" and stopped approving them. Crop circles were further down the list.

So what can you do, eh?

Serious question ---

My wife and I have reviewed several locationless cache logs for local cachers and wonder if there is a database problem. Many of the caches are "Europe (or other locations) only and could not have been done by the cacher. Also, even though they show up on the cachers stats page there is not an entry in the actual cache!

Could this be the result of a prior database problem, the reuse of cache codes [doubt that this could be] or the deletion of the log by the cache owner?

---

I hope that I don't hurt any feelings, but many of the logs posted for locationless caches are just "not up the requirements" requested. Do cache owners actually delete these "found it" entries? If so, does the individual users stats get updated to reflect the deletion?

I know Geocaching is a game, but some standards should be applied when requirements are published for what is required to claim the cache.

...I hope that I don't hurt any feelings, but many of the logs posted for locationless caches are just "not up the requirements" requested. Do cache owners actually delete these "found it" entries? If so, does the individual users stats get updated to reflect the deletion?

I know Geocaching is a game, but some standards should be applied when requirements are published for what is required to claim the cache.

It's up the the owner to enforce the rules. Some of those rules are imposed by the site. Owners will enforce the rules to the limit of their willingness.

Not all owners enforce the letter of the rule. Some have an intent they are interested in. And so on. It's as variable as cache owners caches.

I agree with you though. IF you are going to make it a rule. Enforce it.

Serious question ---

Also, even though they show up on the cachers stats page there is not an entry in the actual cache![/b]

Do cache owners actually delete these "found it" entries? If so, does the individual users stats get updated to reflect the deletion?

I made the same mistake. Beyond a certain number of "found its", ALL locationless caches are listed when one views the stats and you have to pick through them to find the actual "founds" by that cacher.

Logs do get deleted and the corresponding stats are updated. I do noitce the odd (maybe innocent) log that doesn't fit the requirements and as owner has no way of checking it, wonder if I should blow the whistle? Is that proper etiquette?

dutchmaster