"digging" caches

Scratchy

My brother and I are interested in hiding a cache but have a few questions. We live on 20 acres of wooded land and would love to do a difficult mulit-cache where the seeker would have to find multi waypoints and actually dig it up. I know you don't encourage the use of shovels but if it's on our own property, is that ok?

Please let me know your input

Thanks

I get it... you want all the trees and topsoil cleared off your property, right? Using free labor from digging geocachers?

Seriously.... my average position error is around 18 feet. I'll dig a circle 18 feet in radius, looking for your cache (this assumes you set YOUR coordinates with a Trimble). Times how many legs for your multicache?

This is why buried caches are prohibited.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by Scratchy:

My brother and I are interested in hiding a cache but have a few questions. We live on 20 acres of wooded land and would love to do a difficult mulit-cache where the seeker would have to find multi waypoints and actually dig it up. I know you don't encourage the use of shovels but if it's on our own property, is that ok?

Please let me know your input

Thanks

My first Markwell

Look here, its been discussed

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

Digging is not generally approvable, but I know a few slip through.

What you'd have to do is have coords that take someone NEAR something precise, so they can locate the PRECISE thing

Then, you give PRECISE instructions on how to find it, ie: 77 feet @ 315 degrees magnetic

toss in $50 and maybe I'll come on down

canadazuuk

Old joke, man calls police and sys his neighbor is hiding pot in hollow logs in his back yard. Police show up, chop and split logs, don't find anything and leave. Man calls up neighbor and asks if the cops came by and chopped up logs. Neighbor says "Yes", man says " Happy Birthday"...

Are you looking for a free way to till your garden? icon_biggrin.gif

Dad,

It was great to get your last letter. I am sorry you are feeling so bad lately. Be sure and don't let the Sheriff know about all the bodies I buried in the field behind the barn.

Your son...

A month later he writes again...

Dad,

I am glad you are feeling better. I am glad to hear that the FBI and Sheriff's deputies did such a great job digging your new potato patch. I told you I would find a way to help out.

Your son..

South Cache

"To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the tops." Robert M. Pirsig

conductorx_jpg_160.jpgWeb Hosting

quote:
Originally posted by MarcusArelius:

You also need to consider the environmental impact regardless of who owns the land.

For example, will mud from all the digging run off into streams?

Marcus

Yes and no. The amount of area plays a part in NPDES requirments. If you can dig that amount with a shovel then you are one mighty digger. There is no way the amount of land that you would dig with a GPS saying you are in ground zero would ever make this a consideration.

Wherever you go there you are.

I really do not think this would be a good idea, I for one would not bother with looking for a buried cache.

Why not?

Well let's assume the person hiding the cache had a 20 foot accuracy and the seeker had a 20 foot accuracy also, but the hider was at the nothern part of hir 20 foot circle and the seeker was at the southern part of that 20 foot circle, so now we are speaking about a 40 foot circle and this can be a lot of digging. And if the last person dug 10 holes and you check each of them before either giving up or digging some of your own then before long the whole area would be dug up.

Like I said I wouldn't even bother with this type of cache, but maybe others would like that kind.

I'd borrow a metal detector and cheat.

Oh and if you dig a big enough hole that would be a cave. Then the local cavers guild would want you to stay away so they could protect their cave which used to be your hole from you.

Did you know that where the dirt has been dug recently you can make a metal probe and probe the ground without digging... A coat hanger would work if it wasn't too deep.

Nevermind, rayt333 you said you wouldn't bother.

Wherever you go there you are.

If it's you're land than go ahead and do it, but you really need to have some better way to zero out before you start to dig. Maybe line up a sight from one tree to another or so many paces in some direction from a reference point. Don't give the seaker the exact directions but make them figure it out from a set of clues. Also, make sure there is some way for the seaker to verify they've done it correctly before they end up digging.

I have one burried cache. It's burried in a sand bar along a local river. It's about 1/2 mile walk from the parking and is private property. There is a public fishing access all along the area so people are allowed to be in the area.

You can dig in the sand all you want and withing a few days the area will be either blown smooth by the wind, or chopped up more by a herd of cattle passing through.

I also have exact directions on how to find the cache in the hint.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.