What Garmin Do You Own?

Just got a Geko 101 a few weeks ago, all we could afford right now. So far it does just fine for me, I have no complaints! I suppose some day I'll pass this one along to my kid and upgrade, but who knows when and I am happy until then! :D

You ought to be congratulated. You made a great decision!!!

First off the electronics in your unit are better (much!) than $600 units that were selling not that many years ago. That's technology for you.

A lot of us, especially when we first got into using GPSs spent way to much $$ on higher end functionality which frankly are never needed for caching. I wish I'd had the brains to start out with a basic system (which frankly let's face it is all the GPS you'll need for caching). Then I could have spent some money on better hiking shoes, or a better backpack, both at the time would have made my life a lot more comfortable than a color, mapping GPS. (of course I've got three GPS systems (driving, sailing, hiking) now, so I suppose some of us never learn).

Now wait for several years and the mapping, WAAS,color, PDA-phone system that you might decide upgrade to will be about the same $$ as your Geko.

-t-

A lot of us, especially when we first got into using GPSs spent way to much $$ on higher end functionality which frankly are never needed for caching.  I wish I'd had the brains to start out with a basic system (which frankly let's face it is all the GPS you'll need for caching).  Then I could have spent some money on better hiking shoes, or a better backpack, both at the time would have made my life a lot more comfortable than a color, mapping GPS.  (of course I've got three GPS systems (driving, sailing, hiking) now, so I suppose some of us never learn). 

I agree with this whole-heartedly. My brother-in-law said it best: All GPSr do the same thing. They tell you where you are on the planet. All of the added features are just options.

Buy what you can afford and enjoy.

My first was a Rino 110. Note: Do not drop a Rino 110 in a lake. It doesn't float. It's lifeless carcass now rides around in the cab of my truck.

After that, I upgraded to a Rino 130. Then, I saw the 60CS in action at a GGA meeting. I was hooked, so got one of those too. Most of the time it's the 60CS doing the autonav in the truck, and then the 130 goes into the field/on the trails. I do use the 60CS to place caches and mark waypoints due to it's waypoint averaging abilities.

Like someone else mentioned, I'm waiting for the Rino 140CA (Color Autonav) or a 60CSR (Rino/radio version) combo. Are you listening, Garmin?

Edited by Cymbaline

Garmin eTrex Vista. Had it for almost 2 years. Easy to upgrade software, small, very customizable. The only con is the unit turns off :( if dropped or shocked pretty hard. Anyone else had this problem? Thinking about trading for a Vista Color. Anybody got one yet?

I use a Garmin GPS 12. I've had it since 2001 and used it twice before I got into geocaching last month. Updated the software to V4.60 and it's been really accurate so far.

I have this strange feeling that Santa Claus may bring a Garmin Quest GPS, but if not, I'll be looking into the Garmin 60CS.

I started with an eTrex Legend. Gave that away when I upgraded to a Vista. Now I have the Vista and the 60CS and I gave my wife a Gecko 201 for Valentines Day last year (ain't I romantical?). I liked my Vista a lot, but I really love that 60CS.

The Gecko comes along on all our cache hunts. It gets much better reception than my 60CS under certain conditions.

I've had a 12 since 1996 and used it extensively even before starting caching this summer. Great unit, no complaints.

Just got a Foretrex 101. Really, really impressed so far. Love the customizable trip computer, timer and WAAS. Putting it on my wrist just makes a lot of sense to me in the field and running. I even discovered that I can slip it on my rearview mirror for in-car use and still see plenty behind me.

Should get my data cable built this weekend. As part of the bargain, I'm planning on passing the G12 off soon. It will be a solemn and moving ceremony. :lol::rolleyes:

When I need in-vehicle mapping, I hope to have FBCB2. Otherwise I have a paper map. :lol:

Garmin eTrex Vista here. The mapping is outstanding for such a small unit. The memory is more than enough for me to put the entire state of Wisconsin in using Roads & Rec AND Metroguide V5.0. Works well on my dash using a cell phone cradle. The extra memory over the lesser unit is well worth the extra cost.

Why not, in the profile, have an entry asking for the type of GPS you use? I'm on several other message boards based on other hobbies and all of them have a field similar to this. The mustang message board asks for make and model of the car. The aquarium message board asks for the size and tanks you have. The phone message board asks for the type of phone you own, etc.

I have two Garmins -

GPS III Pilot (like III+ but with aviation database and functions) that I use for geocaching

GPS 155 TSO (look it up) that I use for flying - full IFR installation in my Tri-Pacer

Neither has WAAS ... I may trade in the III Pilot for a Garmin GPSMap 96.

I'm looking for a device that will be better for outdoor use and so far the eMap has my attention. I'm going to look into a 60C or 60CS before making a final decision.

I have an eMap and love it! It has served me well for four years and helped place 100 caches and find 850 more. It is often dash mounted in our Vanagon with external power and antenna. With a 16 meg memory card I can load enough Roads and Recreation maps to get me from the Northern California coast through Oregon to Seattle then to the Tri-Cities then back through Oregon to Sacramento then back home to the coast. Only takes about 45 minutes to load all those maps.

I now also have a 60CS and love it! I can load CitySelect v6 maps for the same area which include every street address along the way plus every business, public facilitiy, and points of interest known to humans and with room to spare to add more maps. Oh yes, and those maps load in under 4 minutes through the usb cable. And how about that auto-routing? The 60C is water proof where as the eMap is one of the few that isn't.

Nice to see, just the same, how many eMaps have been reported here. I thought I was the only one. It served us very well and I'll not likely part with it. If economy drives you to buy a used eMap it won't let you down.

:blink: I've had the GPS V for about two going on three years. It's a great unit. And I bought the full mapping option for the USA and Canada. We go to BC and Vancouver Island a lot in the motorhome. The street level mapping is great in Victoria and Vancouver BC. We found the mapping to be very accurate even way out in the back country in BC. That's a very good feeling when you're from the USA, and don't know your way around in BC. The friendliness of loading maps and waypoints from the computer is great. If you're looking for a first rate GPS go with the Garmin GPS V. They are great !!!!!!!!!

Just my two cents worth.....

Best Regards,

n7viv and DB........

Edited by n7viv and DB

Garmin 12, Rino 110, Rino 120 We started with the 12 a few years ago. When we got into Geocaching this year we wanted another unit so we bought the 110 because we do alot of hunting, ATV riding, and other outdoor activities where we use FRS radios. We wanted to be able to take advantage of the "send location" feature so we got a 120. The Rino units are really useful while hunting when you are in an area that you do not know, you can really keep track of each other, and it saves lugging one more piece of electronics.

My 60cs arrived last week with Topo maps. Figured out the paperless caching thing with my old Palm. Went out Friday and Saturday and logged three caches each day in our area. A great unit. I'm headed to Nashville this week and have uploaded a number of caches in the Brentwood area. I'm hoping that time will allow me to run around a few of the parks in the area.

I have been very impressed with the 60cs.. can't attest to the accuracy because each unit may be off a little bit, but it has done what it says it will do. Battery life is good even with the compass and WAAS enabled. I've been in some pretty thick tree cover and a few deep ravines and it has held up well. It took me awhile reading the posts here and reading the reviews.. ended up getting it through Amazon for $366. A great investment.

I have a son-in-law that is very interested in mapping mountain bike routes here in the Black Hills of Dakota. I bit the bullet and bought him a 60cs with a bike mount, as well. Was going to get him a Vista, but this one is so slick I wanted to give him a great one to get started with. I'll make sure he maps some moderate trails for my wife and I.

I'm very pleased with the 60cs..

Mark

I've used a Garmin III+ since it first came out. I've been using it for backpacking and mountaineering for several years and found that it was not very durable (antenna). The accuracy is questionable and it doesn't do well on the dash due to its weird shape. The worst thing was that my laptop didn't have a serial port so I had difficulty downloading maps via the Belkin adaptor while on the road.

Now, I have a 60cs and all problems are solved. The unit itself is what got me interested in GCing because of the GC feature. Before that, I didn't know Geocaching existed. Thanks Garmin!

-----------------------------------

www.JackieandAlan.com

;) Been 'turned on' to geocaching by my brother-in-law. It's a hoot! And yes, I'm hooked. So, just two weeks ago I bought the 60C. Read the manual quite a few times, punched the buttons even more and finally took the family out for a hunt. Went for three and found all three! Now Geocaching.com is book marked and the hunt is on for more. The 60C has a great screen and great functions.
Garmin makes a great Fish Finder, Why do you insist on purchasing a device that is sub standard to the technology that is used the world round by mariners as well as the armed forces of the U.S.A. ?

Actually I was talking to my friend last night to ask her what kind of GPS her husband is using in Iraq (he's Army infantry and is some kind of unit leader). She said the Army gives them Magellan, but that her husband and all the guys hate the Magellan and ask their wives to buy and send them Garmin LOL.

Her husband now uses a Garmin 60cs and is very pleased with it apparently. Just because the armed forces use it doesn't mean it's the best. (My husband is active duty Navy by the way.)

Just had to throw that in for fun! :)

I've used a Garmin III+ since it first came out.    I've been using it for backpacking and mountaineering for several years and found that it was not very durable (antenna).  The accuracy is questionable and it doesn't do well on the dash due to its weird shape.  The worst thing was that my laptop didn't have a serial port so I had difficulty downloading maps via the Belkin adaptor while on the road...

I really disagree with you on this one.

I've used my 3+ since May 2001. I've found it to be quite durable. I've fallen and smashed it screen-down onto boulders with no damage other than a scratched case. The only time I've done real damage to it was when we had to pry it from the wreckage of my old WJ. Even then, a new antenna and battery door brought it back to new. (It should be noted that the antenna was not broken in the accident. I had the external antenna attached at the time. I merely was unable to find the regular antenna.)

I have no problem with the accuracy of this unit. I believe it to be slightly better than some etrexes that I have used. When using the external antenna in my new Grand Cherokee, my epe typically is around 10.

I also like the unit's shape. In my old oldsmobeast, I merely stuck a piece of velcro on the bottom of the unit and stuck it to the top of my dash. In my Jeeps, I merely place it on a sticky pad on the open ashtray door. This allows it to be easily plugged into external power and an external antenna. This antenna is routed into the dash and sits on the little shelf that the Jeeps' nav system uses to for its own antenna.

Regarding the serial connection, I seem to remember someone mentioning that no usb was available to allow the unit to remain water tight. I appreciate this since I have submerged my 3+ twice. I haven't had any trouble uploading to my 3+ from my laptop with the conversion cable.

I'm considering buying a geko 201 or 301 to use on trail so I can keep my 3+ wired in the Jeep. This will lower my exit/enter times.

Edited by sbell111

Started with a green Venture loved it, but lost it at a cache on the Northern shore of Lake Superior.

Replaced the Venture with a GPS 12 (best I could find in Thunder Bay)

Had some minor problems with the 12 (which Garmin fixed) so thought I would try a Mag SportTrak Map hated the Mag Lag

Got a GPS V and think it is just great, so passed the 12 on to my Best half

(the Mag makes a great paperweight)

Just got a GPSMAP 76 to upgrade the 12 it looks to be almost as nice as the V

Might give the Mag to my grown son and after he is addicted convince him to go Garmin

from me earlier.

eTrex Legend for about a year now (and I love it), but I would like to get a Vista C. I guess I might look into a 60C with such nice stuff being said about it here.

I went to REI, checked out both, and got the Vista C for x-mas. I love it, and have done three caches with it already! Only reason I didn't go for the 60c(s) was size, the Vista C is much smaller, which I like.