Tb For A School Class

Geofellas

We are thinking of creating a travel bug that will encourage finders to send a postcard to my son's grade 4 class (ages 9-10) as part of a project they have to get postcards from all over the world. Adding a geocaching twist to this project gives added interest for the kids.

We would be glad if anyone could share their experiences of doing something similar, successes, failures, dos, don'ts &c.

If anyone could point us to some example bugs that are used for this purpose so we could share these examples with the teacher to help her understand the whole concept better that would be great too. :laughing:

Thanks in advance...

We are thinking of creating a travel bug that will encourage finders to send a postcard to my son's grade 4 class (ages 9-10) as part of a project they have to get postcards from all over the world. Adding a geocaching twist to this project gives added interest for the kids.

We would be glad if anyone could share their experiences of doing something similar, successes, failures, dos, don'ts &c.

If anyone could point us to some example bugs that are used for this purpose so we could share these examples with the teacher to help her understand the whole concept better that would be great too. :laughing:

Thanks in advance...

Feel free to check out this website

Travelbugs in Education

I am helping several teachers set up a website where the kids will learn geography through sending out Travelbugs.

We have a mailing list set up with the teachers involved. E-mail me via my profile if you are interested.

Also check the "Geocaching in Education" forum for more posts.

IF you check out my profile you will see Frutti Tutti, the Hunters, Frutti Tutti jr. and Wandering Wanda all released through me by classes at Timpanogos Academy. The first two did very well and the other two never moved very much. You just never know. Sorry I don't know how to post a link. I use a computer but I am not very fancy with it. :laughing:

By the way I see that you are in Ontario, Canada. I lived for about 3 months in Sault Ste Marie. It was beautiful up there and I can still remember (after 15 years) some great places that I would have loved to place a cache.

Edit to talk about Canada.

Edited by Cannonlaw

I have just ordered tags for TBs to use with my Biology classes. I plan to let them release a TB and track it through various biomes.

The idea will be for them to try to figure out what type of biome (desert, tropic, tundra, taiga, grassland, etc) the TB has traveled to, as well as to try to figure out some details about the immediate area of the cache--for example, was it in an urban area of the desert southwest, or in a wooded area of the subtropical southeast? They can practice map skills and picking out biome locations, as well as see the diversity within the larger general areas.

I haven't figured out yet what to attach to the tags or how much to try to involve the finders in the project. I thought that I would let the classes decided that--and learn from their mistakes. Problem solving skills in action.

I did this last year with a 4th grade class - it was part of a latitude longitude tracking project, the idea was to give the kids some grasp on how it work. It was great! Getting pictures from California while we were snowed in in Feb made a real impression, and best of all the travel bug came back. This was the best project for such a small amount of cash that we could have done.