Using A Legend With A Mac

jymiller

Don't have the Legend yet, but looking at it for my first GPS. I use an iMAC with OSX.

1) Is it possible to download maps to the Legend using my MAC? How?

2) Does the Legend take an external antenna for use in a vehicle? Do I need one?

Thanks in advance. I'm anxious to get out and find some caches.

This is my first post here, too.

J.Y.

1) Is it possible to download maps to the Legend using my Mac? How?

No, Garmin has not seen fit to write any Mac software yet. So, for getting maps to a Legend your choice will be find someone with a PC or use Virtual PC.

2) Does the Legend take an external antenna for use in a vehicle? Do I need one?

No and probably not.

You can use a re-radiating antenna with a legend but so far my reception has always been good enough that I haven't felt the need to get one

This is my first post here, too.

J.Y.

Welcome!

There may be something on my (still unfinished!) webpage that will help you:

http://jfatherton.0catch.com/MacCMConvert/geomac.html

JeremyA

Edited by JeremyA

First of all welcome! second welcome to another mac user!!

i have an older g4 tower that i run os x on (10.3.5 currently) and what i use is a keyspan serial adaptor and 2 great programs that are a must are gpswrite and link2gps, both available from hiketech.com, as welll as cachemate avail from smittyware is you have a palm device. and cmconvert.

i have both an etrex legend and a vista, as for maps i had a fellow cacher who has the map software update both of mine for me wth detailed maps. i have the software myself as well which i tried to ue with virtual pc, but i havent been able to work out serial port issues to get it to work..

anyways good luck.