Appropriate Virtual Cache

expatriate

As per the guidelines for a virtual:

"A virtual cache must be novel, of interest to other players, and have a special historic, community or geocaching quality that sets it apart from everyday subjects. Since the reward for a virtual cache is the location, the location should “WOW” the prospective finder. Signs, memorials, tombstones or historical markers are among the items that are generally too common to qualify as virtual caches. Unusual landmarks or items that would be in a coffee table book are good examples. If you don't know if it is appropriate, contact your local approver first, or post a question to the forums about your idea."

Anybody been to Kyuquot, BC?

I have considered a virtual at the pier in this town. Part of the proof regards a picture of the the method of transportation to this place. Have been hashing it out with the approver whether or not it is appropriate... Don't want to give away too much of the details to spoil for others. I thought it might be a good spot, since there aren't any local cachers.

BTW, the approver is not "local." In fact he will probobly be hit be the remnants of hurricane Ivan soon...

Opinions?

Thanks.

Why don't you put a real cache there instead.

But then I see that you must live on the mainland and the other spot is on the island and a fair distance away. That would maybe make it a vacation cache which is not allowed either.

I think you are wasting your time and they will not a prove your cache. As they want caches that have container and log book at least.

:laughing:

Edited by gm100guy

Well. I do live on the mainland...and a fair disatance away...

Intersesting to note that there are only three geocaches accessible where I live with out traveling on a a few ferries...and two of these are mine. Not real fun caching around here...

This area is even more desperate. Took me a couple days to get there from here. The nearest geocache is (by the placers estimate) over two and a half hours away, even though it is ~7 kms.

Intersesting to note that there are only three geocaches accessible where I live with out traveling on a a few ferries...and two of these are mine. Not real fun caching around here...

Placing a vacation virtual isn't going to help the cache poor situation you find yourself in. Give it time and you should see some more caches popping up. If not, well, I guess you're SOL, but it still beats the heck out of living in the city.

At first glance, and with the information you provide, I'd have to agree with tlg.

A vacation virtual is NOT going to be approved. The virtual itself is not likely to be approved on it's own; the fact that you live far away makes it only worse.

Would I like to visit there? No doubt. It would be of interest. But someone a bit closer could easily place a traditional cache nearby.

If there is no Geocacher available to place and maintain a physical cache, does this mean that the area should go without a cache?

Is this not one of the original ideas of a virtual? I wholeheartedly agree to limiting virtual caches to special places as is the intent. When placing a cache here in BC, it is common courtesy to ask the "local" cacher to place a cache in their area. (I have asked the opinion of the nearest cache "unfound" BTW) There are only 350 souls in the nearby area, most without electricity or internet access. If a Kyuquot local geocacher would like the cache archived, I would do it willingly. But there is no local geocacher, since there are few people who have electricity, and the only web access is via the school. A virtual placement here does not preclude any nearby caches, as the pier is most likely ~0.1 mile long anyways.

British Columbia is over 1 1/3 the size of Texas, but yet has less than 1/5 of the population. Can you not see the disparity here? The approver is withholding a cache in a very unique place for geocacher to find. Take a look a Buxley's Waypoints pushpin maps and see the big voids in BC caching.

I spent some time searching the forums about virtual caches. Guess I should've done this first. I now realize that odds of a virtual getting approved are slim to none.

I understand the need to weed out bad virtuals, but the idea of placing a film container with a postage stamp and a penny in it to get it approved seems silly.

Besides, that would be a holiday cache...

I guess the unpopulated areas will just have to go without caches. Almost Oxymoronic, isn't it?

Too bad. Nice spot for a cache, just no cachers about...

I spent some time searching the forums about virtual caches. Guess I should've done this first. I now realize that odds of a virtual getting approved are slim to none.

I understand the need to weed out bad virtuals, but the idea of placing a film container with a postage stamp and a penny in it to get it approved seems silly.

Besides, that would be a holiday cache...

I guess the unpopulated areas will just have to go without caches. Almost Oxymoronic, isn't it?

Too bad. Nice spot for a cache, just no cachers about...

You can still list it on an other site; who knows, it might help to generate interest in the hobby for the locals.

It was a refreshing change to see the civil dialogue between yourself and the approver; we don't usually hear the positive stories.