City Select Vs. Metroguide

swala

I doubt that you'll see very much (if any) difference between the two, assuming you are comparing the same (or close) version #'s. The main difference is that City Select maps contain autorouting information within the maps. Some of this information is the speed limit of roads, if they are one-way only, and the type of road (off-road, residential, freeway etc.). You don't actually see this detail but it's there if you want to included it in the mapset upload to the GPS. I don't think you'd see any visual difference between MetroGuide USA v6 and City Select v6. If you want to use autorouting on your 60CS, you will want City Select or an older version of MetroGuide which includes autorouting detail (v4 is one version but has been discontinued, though you can probably find it on eBay).

Edited by SergZak
Just to be sure I understand, autorouting is something you would have to do before you download the maps, not after the fact.

Incorrect. With CitySelect maps on your 60C (or any of Garmin's new color autorouting units) you can have the GPS generate a turn-by-turn route on the fly. This doesn't require preloading routes onto the GPS (just the map data with the routing info included). You can then search for addresses or points of interest and be routed there from your current location. The unit will even recalculate if you get off route.

None of this functionality is available with Metroguide. You really need CitySelect to get the most out of your 60C

None of this functionality is available with Metroguide.

None AFTER version 4 of Metroguide, it still would autoroute. I loaded both in my GPS V and GPSMAP 60CS one maps set at a time and routed to a known street address in both maps i.e. I loaded MG4 and went to a place, then loaded CS6 and went to the same place. CitySelect was much better at the route it made. Plus it will have up to date maps, well up to date as they could get when it was released. I am still having problems with errors in the map information like street names wrong and "misplaced"

Just to be sure I understand, autorouting is something you would have to do before you download the maps, not after the fact.

Before uploading a mapset to the GPS, be sure and checkmark the "Include route calculation data" option box at the bottom of the "Maps" tab. If you don't send the route calc data with the mapset, the GPS will still autoroute but it will be doing so using the unit's built-in basemap...which is nowhere near as detailed and accurate as City Select.

I just bought my Garmin 60CS and I love it, however I am coming from a Magellan SporTrak Pro with MapSend Topo downloaded to the GPSr. I use my GPSr for geocaching about 95% of the time and the other 5% is when I am going someplace that I really don't need directions to, so the auto routing feature is neat, but not necessary. I don't really care about POIs on my GPS either, it's just clutter for me. I am interested mainly in streets, towns, waterways, so to navigate easier to the next cache. My questions are:

1. If I don't need or use the autorouting feature, what major differences are there in the two programs, Metroguide and City Select?

2. Is the Metroguide even compatible with the new Garmin GPSmap 60CS? (I read on the Garmin website that it is not on the list of compatible units)

1. If I don't need or use the autorouting feature, what major differences are there in the two programs, Metroguide and City Select?

Pretty much none, provided you are comparing the same (or at least near) versions.

2. Is the Metroguide even compatible with the new Garmin GPSmap 60CS? (I read on the Garmin website that it is not on the list of compatible units)

Yes it is. I think Garmin inadvertently failed to include it on the compatibility list. MetroGuide is compatible with any Garmin unit that accepts map data, as long as there's enough physical RAM in the unit to hold what you're trying to upload.

Just got the new Legend-C so figured I would get the new City Select.

So far I find some 7 new roads in my development entered but they are in the wrong location by about 1/4 mile. These are th only roads I have plotted.

A number of businesses are incorrectly identified etc.

A large lake and a number of roads in the area, that were in Mapsource no longer are shown.

See Topozone, and all other maps associated with

N 41° 17.737 W 081° 19.034

I like the routing feature but am very disapointed with the lack of quality.

I am not sure if it is worth my time to even enter the info as an error report to Garmine as they don't list City Select as an option when you want to report an error.

At this point and until Garmine cleans up their act I suggest you go to e-bay and get an older Mapsource. :lol: