Dell Axim...which Cf Gps Works Best?

My father in law has never used a GPS but my mother in law wants to get him one that does auto routing. Since price is a factor, and I got him an Axim a couple of years ago, I think a CF GPS should work.

I'm familar with Garmin but that card (cf que)seems to be around 200.00 but it includes mapsource unlocked v6. I've seen cheaper other brands. Any recommendations? I'm leaning toward the Garmin because I probably will be his only support in using it. Anyone have problems with it?

The Dell axim X5 with a CF unit works great. For my street navigation, I use a Globalsat BC 307 GPS unit and mapopolis software. I absolutely love the setup, but do use a handheld unit once I get out of the vehicle.

I'm not familiar with Garmins CF unit, but you can probably find information about it, as well as many other similar setups at www.gpspassion.com It's a great resource for info on using a PDA with assorted GPS units.

I've seen the Garmin cf que for 205.00 on Amazon with free shipping. After looking around, it seems the software + a different cf gps would run around the same.

Thanks for the help. The cf Que 1620 holds 64mbs of maps plus you can use an SD card to hold more if needed. Lack of an external antenna is a concern but I haven't used one for my V. And any other standalone GPS's that autoroute in color, voice, and all that would cost more than double. I think I made my choice :laughing:

I've seen the Garmin cf que for 205.00 on Amazon with free shipping. After looking around, it seems the software + a different cf gps would run around the same.

Thanks for the help. The cf Que 1620 holds 64mbs of maps plus you can use an SD card to hold more if needed. Lack of an external antenna is a concern but I haven't used one for my V. And any other standalone GPS's that autoroute in color, voice, and all that would cost more than double. I think I made my choice :blink:

The only time my external antenna has been on my V has been on Commercial Flights so I do not have to hold unit by window for entire trip.