Yippee... Off to a a decent start!

DanIAm

Some of you may have seen my newbie post dropped the other day all full of excitement and anticipation. We are happy to announce we got off to a decent start. The closer it got to the weekend the more excited we were only to wake up Saturday morning with pouring rain. Although rain for some may not seem much of a deterrent, being new to this we decided to hold off. Today we went out and hit 6 caches here in town and are happy to announce we found 3. I would have liked to find them all, but I can settle for a 50% find rate. We enjoyed our time out, although it was in town. We started with the easy ones to work our way into the concept of thinking like the person that placed the cache. As most newbies we want to jump right in a set a cache of our on. However if there's yet another thing I have learned so far from this board is that it's suggested to wait until we have multiple finds to get a sense of the process. We agree we will wait until we have a better feel for things. Of the 3 found they were what we could consider good caches, all full with items. Just thought I could come on here and share with those who took the time to post in my newbie thread.

Thanks for all the help, there's no doubt we may be getting hooked... if that's possible in such a short time. We think it is. =)

GeocachingGuy

edit: correction

[This message was edited by GeocachingGuy on August 10, 2003 at 05:15 PM.]

Question: When posting a comment indicating you found the cache on the cache page it indicates your number of successful finds. One one page it shows us having 3 and on the other is shows us having 2. Is this number static only representing the amount of finds under your belt when the post was actually made? Or should this number be updated on all cache pages as you add additional finds?

Thanks,

GG

Good going! It's nice to have a few finds, especially on your first tries!

We found that this bolstered our confidence and enthusiasm. But we hit a temporary slump when we tried more difficult ones because, well, they WERE more difficult!

If this happens to you don't give up! Use what you've learned in the field and here and stay with it!

"Now may every living thing, young or old, weak or strong, living near or far, known or unknown, living or departed or yet unborn, may every living thing know happiness!"

quote:
Originally posted by GeocachingGuy:

Question: When posting a comment indicating you found the cache on the cache page it indicates your number of successful finds. One one page it shows us having 3 and on the other is shows us having 2. Is this number static only representing the amount of finds under your belt when the post was actually made? Or should this number be updated on all cache pages as you add additional finds?

Thanks,

GG

The log pages (and find totals) are only refreshed when a new log is submitted...You can see this happen by adding a note (not a find) to the cache in question. You can then delete the note. (Be aware that the cache owner or anyone watching the cache may receive an email with your comments in it.) Your find count should then be current.

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

The log pages (and find totals) are only refreshed when a new log is submitted...You can see this happen by adding a _note_ _(not a find)_ to the cache in question. You can then delete the note. (Be aware that the cache owner or anyone watching the cache may receive an email with your comments in it.) Your find count should then be current.

You don't even need to post a note. Just edit your log to update the page. Of course this adds a line to your log "Last Edited On ......"

東西南北

Why do I always find it in the last place I look?

Congratulations for your first sucessfuly first finds icon_smile.gif As already said in your other topic, it's a refreshment to see such enthusiasm from a new Geocacher ;-)

I've noticed that you both logs the visited caches - meaning both of you have an account in GC.com. Here's an idea that might help increase the enjoyment you're having:

After approaching the area and when you're very next the spot but can't see it yet (let's say at 200 or 300 metres, it depends on the terrain...). Try to hunt the cache one at a time and record the time spent by each one. In the next cache switch the order. This will put some "friendly" competiton between you and, I hope, will increase the excitment for this hobby.

If none of you founds the cache, then you go for it as a team and soon, there will be no cache that can't be found by you (unless it isn't there icon_rolleyes.gif ).

About caching under the rain... the time will come... you'll see! icon_wink.gif

Manuel Antunes

(Sorry. Just tryed to change an emoticon and now I can't delete this last post icon_confused.gif )

Well... let's add something more usefull in this post:

If do as I suggested above, when you make your logs, you'll found yourselves thinking something like "I've found this cache by myself alone! icon_biggrin.gif "

[This message was edited by MAntunes on August 11, 2003 at 01:50 AM.]