Defining Free Geocaching

Pantalaimon

Pantalaimon Posted on Sep 24 2004, 05:43 AM

Do others agree that panning a map to see the caches around your hunt location is a function that is extremely helpful (maybe essential) in planning a geocaching trip? 

I like maps. I like them a lot. I like them as much as KA and Criminal like girls. I like to pan maps. In fact, I am a visual learner but not a linear thinker, so I have to SEE what I am doing. For me, panning maps was essential. Most on-line maps allow the person veiwing the map to scroll. It is only practical...often what you really want is not centered on the map, but is located just along a boundary.

i know i probably shouldn't point this out BUT here it goes anyway.

MAPS, you can only identify right?!?, but nothing else.

well not exactly, the map is based on coordinates, just like travel bug maps which give away the location of new unapproved caches, and as such are adjustable.

just tinker with the numbers a little and you will get the hang of panning around in no time.

well not exactly, the map is based on coordinates, just like travel bug maps which give away the location of new unapproved caches, and as such are adjustable.

just tinker with the numbers a little and you will get the hang of panning around in no time.

Come on, man. You already *have* a premium membership...they're not going to give you another one for being a stoolie like D&G.

Come on, man. You already *have* a premium membership...they're not going to give you another one for being a stoolie like D&G.

not trying to be a 'stoolie'

just that there are holes in the way things work, sux but true.

edit: and oh yeah, i don't 'have' a premium memberhip... i paid for a charter membership.

Edited by ralann
Pan,

The old maps did allow scrolling. They're still available, with that functionality. Here's the old map for Massachusetts. Scroll away!

The new maps are more resource-intensive and thus certain features are available only to premium members. It's always been that way, other than unintended things like what was brought up recently in regard to panning with the new maps.

Old maps vs. new maps? Apples vs. oranges.

I was trying to find these maps for awhile yesterday. Where exactly would I click, starting from the main page, to find them?

Pan,

The old maps did allow scrolling.  They're still available, with that functionality.  Here's the old map for Massachusetts. Scroll away!

The new maps are more resource-intensive and thus certain features are available only to premium members.  It's always been that way, other than unintended things like what was brought up recently in regard to panning with the new maps.

Old maps vs. new maps?  Apples vs. oranges.

I was trying to find these maps for awhile yesterday. Where exactly would I click, starting from the main page, to find them?

From another thread I posted to:

You know, the OLD maps are STILL available.

Go to the Main page:  www.geocaching.com

Look in the upper right corner for

To locate the nearest geocaches in your area...

by state (US Only):

and select your state:

The person who asked was from CA (I think) so here's his map:

http://www.geocaching.com/map/CA.asp

Pan, Zoom and ID to your hearts content.

To ID caches, zoom in several times, select "ID" then click on a cache.

It's amazing to me that more people don't know about this. When I found the GC.com website - the first thing I did was search by Zipcode and the state search is right under the zipcode search. I check my state page several times a day. It has the map, TB activity, and newest caches. I wish it had latest logs.... but that's another request.

sd

I won't say any more than that.

thank YOU

now O(n)T: I think that all the features that you see right now will be there for basic free membership in one form or another. yes they MAY change, that is stated it the TOS. also according to the TOS and feature my be yanked from either a basic OR preimium membership OR BOTH. this is just how things work HERE and MOST EVERYWHERE ELSE.

I do beleive that Jeremy knows what is good for the sport, and that is giving all the basics away for free as they are right now, while also making it user friendly. you can't remove too many features or the site is not usable. when this happens you will loose $$$ no new memberships if people cant try it first. the current model of the site IMNSHO is just bout right for basic users to get them to play the game and MAYBE if they really get into it upgrade.

ok, to sum up what i said, i really cant see much changing(feature removal) unless Jeremy looses his mind.

Jeremy, if you are planning to remove features I stand by my statemant on the previous line :)