Etrex Vs. Etrex Legend

Agent N.

It depends, what is important to YOU.

If the ability to have maps, download detail maps is important, then the $60.00 more would be worth it. In addition to maps, if being able to hold 1000 waypoints VS only 500, is important, then the $60.00 is worth it. Also The yellow eTrex does not come with the computer cable, and the Legand does. The cable will cost you about $16.00 minimum, so add that into the equation.

Can your wallet handle it, and are these things important to you? Answer those questions to yourself, and you should have your answer.

YES... For what the Legend will do versus the YELLOW

Maps, Menu options, Clik Stick, 8 mg of memory, backlight, trip computer, much easier input of info...I own both (the yellow is on loan to a newbie) as well as a Maggie Gold.

Learning curve on the Legend would be shorter also because it is easier to use.

$75 + would still be a bargin!

Yes. For one, the Legend comes with a data cable (a very important piece of equipment), which is a $30 add on for the yellow eTrex. Also, mapping is a very useful feature and one day you'll want to load one of the Mapsource maps which will make it even more useful.

The Legend holds twice as many waypoints and finally, the display of the Legend has much better resolution.

Edited by briansnat

Just a personal observation. My brother has the eTrex and I have the Legand. The extras are very nice and, for my money, worth it, but my brother would debate that. Accuracy is the same in both units and after a day of caching the memory is wiped out in preperation for the next time. Both units find coords and the bro and I find the caches. :laughing:

I would say the the legend...it is WAAS enabled. But, I would go right now w/ the etrex vista from office max. i got mine for $159 w/ tax.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=78981

With the $20 coupon and free shipping it makes it $120 less than anywhere else and cheaper than the Legend.

Geez that's good. It cost me $125 to fix mine when I accidently smashed the display screen a few months ago..

At that price I ought to buy a backup. Its obviously a mistake but it's been that price for close to a month!

Edited by briansnat

If you managed to pick up the eTrex at Best Buy with their $50 deal, then it might be worth the savings. IMHO, the Legend is the best GPS out there for the price. I picked up a new one this spring for $130. The eTrex at the time was $100, and by the time you factored in the cost for the data cable (which is included with the Legend, but not with the basic eTrex), then the cost was almost the same.

Of course, the Office Max deal of $160 for the eTrex Vista is almost too good to pass up.

I was going to get the eTrex but now i found the Magellan eXplorist 100. it is WAAS enabled and has all the other features that I wanted for the same price :laughing: anybody here use it?

The Explorist 100 had no data feed capability according to the specs I saw. I'd stay away from it for that reason alone. It's more comparable to a Garmin Gecko 101 than an eTrex.

Edited by briansnat