We've Lost One Of Our Own

Doc-Dean

I am deeply saddened to report that one of the local cachers from Gainesville, Florida - JumpJunkie was killed in a head on Collision on his way back home yesterday.

I did not personally know Sam but he was well known to be willing to do whatever he could to help out his fellow cachers. You could tell from his logs that he was also a very avid cacher who loved geocaching. He will be missed and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Edited by Doc-Dean

:blink::blink::(

One thing that I do when learning of terrible news like this is to review the geocacher's profile. Through our logs, photo galleries and forum posts, we get to know each other, even though we may never meet and are separated by hundreds or thousands of miles.

Here is a fellow with 1,024 finds and 15 hides -- stats not too different from my own -- and he clearly liked to investigate interesting places and take pictures. JumpJunkie's most recent logs show that he went on a nine-cache run on August 29th.

If I were to get hit by a bus tomorrow, I know I'd be OK because I've lived life to the fullest with all the interesting stuff I've done over the past 2+ years through geocaching. I hope that JumpJunkie and his family feel the same way.

That's sad.  I'm sorry to hear that.  Its a great loss to the geocaching community and a greater loss to his family.

This happens far too often.  I noticed recently that the geocacher Hayduk of Abzug & Hayduke was also killed in an auto accident earlier this year.  I never met him, but found some of his caches and he had logged a few of mine.  Very sad.

Our condolences, as well! :blink:

Now might be the time, for some local cacher to step up to the plate and meet the family. Then help maintain his caches in his memory. If possible, talk to the family and adopt his caches in his honor, if no other family member is going to do it. It will keep his legacy alive. Just my thought! SF1

Awe, how sad. I wish the best for his family, and hope that someone can pass on the well wishes of the geocaching community to them.

:laughing:

That will not be a problem. I'll let 2LuknF8 know about this thread, if he doesn't already know about it. There was already plans on the NEFGA forum about starting a Travel Bug in his memory so that he can continue to visit caches.

This happens far too often.  I noticed recently that the geocacher Hayduk of Abzug & Hayduke was also killed in an auto accident earlier this year.  I never met him, but found some of his caches and he had logged a few of mine.  Very sad.

Yeah, that's the same thing I thought of. I have adopted 3 Abzug and Hayduke caches; the local ones are almost all adopted by various cachers. I would really encourage someone to (eventually) look into adopting JumpJunkie's caches. Cache maintainence can be sad, but it's so nice that the caches are cared for and still out there to be found.

I'm really sorry to hear the news... :)

Just a thought .. with several Travel Bug hotels being located in Cemetaries on the far south end of Milwaukee .. I have become quite aware of new burials. This morning I saw a new grave for a young child, quite sad. Another grave routinely has fresh flowers.

Would a cemetary allow a geocache grave stone? Just a thought, someone with a caching record to have a grave stone like a treasure box that other cachers could come and visit?

Or would that be tacky?