Caches Along A Route

Jeremy

I'm disappointed also, has anyone suggested this idea?

Instead of a circle with a radius, define a rectangle with 4 coordinates marking the four corners?

Did you notice what I wrote only 8 posts ago in this very topic?

I think this must be the very first intra-topic Markwell. Do I win a prize?

You'll get a prize when you can figure out how to get Jeremy to add this often requested improvement. :mmraspberry:

Does he even exist anymore??

In September last year he opened this topic and included this:

The shotgun approach I'm working on is allowing you to do a degree range, and ultimately a region (upper left and lower right coordinates) but that is still a poor solution. Thoughts welcome.

There's been no shortage of thoughts from members but a severe drought of courtesy from the administrators in even acknowledging the responses.

Does he even exist anymore??

In September last year he opened this topic and included this:

The shotgun approach I'm working on is allowing you to do a degree range, and ultimately a region (upper left and lower right coordinates) but that is still a poor solution. Thoughts welcome.

There's been no shortage of thoughts from members but a severe drought of courtesy from the administrators in even acknowledging the responses.

I came to this tread from another web site that had this quote from over a year ago:

"Update on October 22, 2004: Last Notes

This forum thread indicates that Jeremy Irish at Geocaching.com is working on SOME type of solution since this is one of the hottest requests. I have no idea when it will be complete."

What are the odds it'll happen in this century? :)

I have tried a number of the suggested work arounds--and YES they are all ugly, complicated work arounds no matter how much one raves about their solution. A "simple" corridor approach would cover 90% of requests. There was once talk about a bird in the hand...vs the bushes. I fear that the inactivity on this issue over the past year+ might be because THE (capital T) optimal solution is being developed at the expense of a lesser, user-friendly, low-hanging fruit option that would have indeed covered 90% of cacher's needs. We still have no bird either in the hand nor in the bushes.

The proverbial Feature Creep appears to have struck again--but not because of the many requests in this forum. The feature requests have been simple and minimal if albeit difficult to implement. A couple suggestions about filtering to exits, cache type.

All many of us appear to be asking for (and with all due respect to gpsbabel, gsak, mapsend, SandT) is something simple to use vs. nothing. Put Waymarking.com on hold for a month and bang this puppy out! Of course this should all be applicable to Waymarking as well. The interim would of course have been to allow people to search posted route bookmarks that other more tech-savvy cachers had created. At least letting us eat the bread crumbs.

The GC.com website is full of well-designed features and functionality! There are also a couple quirky solutions we have lived with. If need be, lets add one more quirky solution for the time being that allows us generate searches or even simply download GPX files based on fixed or pre-determined routes (say interstate?). These could be downloaded as pre-packaged--but regularly, once-daily, updated--PQs. Server load is minimized, but I can quickly, easily indicate the interstate legs I need, and be off w/o even having to run a server querry. With this feature alone, you could head back to the drawing boards having bought yourself another year of development time--and have learned a thong or too about the feature usefulness, demand etc.

That's about as technical as I get, but I hope it's technical enough for this thread. I hope the recent silence from TPTB is only due to Santa's elves not wanting to spoil our Christmas surprise! --for premium members of course.

anxiously-waiting, tired-of-the-hacks,

-JG (G2 of the Seven G's)

Let's put it this way. I hate paying for all of this software! ;) So I downloaded the FREE .xml file from Groundspeak for the FREE Google Earth application for checking the caches along a route. All you need to do is type in an are that you want to visit. Scroll around in the area and all the nearby caches pop up on the Satellite Image. I am very happy with this. Thanks Groundspeak!

If fishingdude720 were a premium member, he would actually have a solution. From Google Earth he could click on each cache along the route he is taking to add it to a bookmark list. Then he could get a Pocket Query for that bookmark list and load the coordinates into his GPSr and the descriptions into his Palm.

Of course if there are many cache along the route this could be time consuming.

Edited by tozainamboku
Being able to upload arc files of a route would be awesome

Well, if folks uploaded and labelled their arc filters, they could be shared with other non-power users. Stuff like "I-5 Washington" could be used, for example.

Regional clubs could provide arcs of the interstates in their area.

If any progress has been made on being able to upload arc filters as a search criteria (as was mentioned early in this thread) I will soon have a pretty complete set of arc filters for all US Interstate routes on my soon to be completed "Clan Barron's GPSBabel ARC filters for the United States Interstate Highway System" page. If not, maybe somebody who is too command line phobic to use wget, GPSBabel & GoogleMaps (as per Alan Curry's excellent tutorial) will find them useful in GSAK.

I am currently planning a trip from Florida to Chicago to visit family for Christmas. I have generated an arc file of my route to use to filter caches. It would sure be nice to upload that filter here and have my PQ only return the 187 caches that are within .5 miles of my route (after filtering in GSAK). I know that running the filter would be CPU intensive for the PQ server but would it be any more so than the 12 PQs (6,000 caches) that I had run to make sure that I got all the caches on the route so that the filtering could be done on my end?

This sounds like a committee was formed to fix something that isn't broke. This can be done manually without all of the "bells and whistles" chosing caches along a route and entering them in your GPS with a listed order along the route or done by creating Multi-caches with actual caches along the way.

I feel that I must be missing something because this sounds like a "No Brainer". I'm new to the geocaching, but my job in the Army as a Fire Support NCO/Forward Observer is all about maps and land navigation. Either I am way outside of the Geocaching paradigm or I'm not clear on what the issue is? So what is the real problem. Uncle?

This can be done manually without all of the "bells and whistles" chosing caches along a route and entering them in your GPS with a listed order along the route...

Either I am way outside of the Geocaching paradigm or I'm not clear on what the issue is? So what is the real problem. Uncle?

The problem is simple: suppose you are going to take a long trip and you'd like to find all the geocaches near your route, and store them in your PDA and GPS. How do you do that?

The problem with current tools is that you would have to make many, many pocket queries to get all the caches. For example, to get all the caches just from San Francisco to San Diego along route 101 (not all that long a trip) takes (last time I tried) more than 10 pocket queries.

Yes, these things can be done (laboriously) by hand or by use of external tools, but many of us believe that making pocket queries slightly more flexible would allow much more efficient and effective use of resources.

Please, Please Jeremy / Nate: Go for the simple solution, it will help a lot of us, and not just for caches along a route, but for many other "area" of PQ's submissions as well. It may very well LOWER the PQ server demands for you.

The "simple soultion", in Jeremy's words from September 2004

...... The shotgun approach I'm working on is allowing you to do a degree range, and ultimately a region (upper left and lower right coordinates).....

I don't haunt these boards. I only look here when I really need something. Please consider it? I don't beg well.

-- Klemmer (a very early charter member)

Okay, I'm a newest of the newbies here, but I'm already using Google Earth with the Geocaching Network KML loaded, so caches show up. Way cool. If I'm planning a route from Eugene to Portland, for example, I can find all the caches along my route, and pick the ones I want by how close they are to the path I'm taking.

My husband is Dutch, and I'm already planning--with the help of Google Earth-- what caches to find in Holland that are fairly close to his mom's house.

--flamingskye

Edited by flamingskye

I would have to agree with a few of the above, that I use Google Earth. I just figured out the bookmark, query to Ipaq today before reading these posts. I also printed out the map from GE, labeled and numbered the icons for my copilot. She can then read about the cache as we are traveling to it.

The whole major interstate discussion doesn't really fly for me, this trip that I planed has about 20, and they are on a dirt (forest service) road.

I think being able to sort a bookmark list into any order I choose, would help me considerably.

All the workarounds that have been mentioned in this and other threads work ok for short trips. For example if a want to go from A to B in the UK, I have my pocket queries, and I can stick my route in GSAK with a distance from that route and there I have the caches.

My big problem is with the planning of a big road trip (for example caching around Europe or across the US). It's impossible to get the caches for that kind of area with the circular method of PQs.

Say I'm doing a 3000 mile journey - If I wanted to get all the caches in pocket queries in a week (35 PQs), I would have to select points along the journey every 86 miles. In most cases there would be more than 500 caches within these areas.

If, however, it were possible to do a linear pocket query (i.e. all caches within 5 miles of a line from a to b ) for each of those same 86 mile sections, I'm pretty sure I would get all the relevant caches I wanted.

Would it really be so hard for this to be implemented?

Tigger

Edited by Pengy&Tigger
All the workarounds that have been mentioned in this and other threads work ok for short trips. ... My big problem is with the planning of a big road trip...

Have you tried the GoogleEarth solution. It's pretty cool.

Thats ok for seeing where the caches are, but it's not going to help me have the details with me on the trip.

It's not too bad if you do it in full implementation.

Use Google Earth and have a Bookmark list ready to go. As you see a bunch of caches on the way...

efdc3384-d4a8-4f1c-bece-389ca5b3262f.jpg

...get their GCxxxx number from Google Earth.

Then go to the bookmark page and add the GCxxxx number to this area:

d90d1eca-94ce-44de-bbce-102e18ecddf8.jpg

When you're done, you have a ready-made list of caches that are along your route. It may become out of date as old ones are archived and new ones come up, but at least it's a start.

When you're ready for your trip, create a Pocket Query from that bookmark list. You've got all of the current information on the caches ready to go portable in GSAK or Spinner or Cachemate and all of the most current data on caches that you KNOW are along your route and not archived.

The only thing this WON'T do is give you the newer caches on the route.

I'm not saying this is the perfect solution. It's yet another work-around, and I'm still waiting for a better solution from TPTB. But I'll wait patiently.

Hey Markwell! Thanks! I've been using Google Earth, saw the "bookmark" link, know what they are (used once or twice), etc. I DIDN'T know you can go right from bookmarks to a Pocket Query. I never put it all together in the same brain hemisphere! It works great! For me, this is quite adequate for caching along a route. Thanks, Jeremy, for the hook-up with Google Earth. I'm sure it's extra load on the servers, and hope it can keep working....

That whole "series of features" needs more publicity in the threreads, or I just missed it. I'll do my part on our SoCal forum.

Hey Markwell! Thanks! I've been using Google Earth, saw the "bookmark" link, know what they are (used once or twice), etc. I DIDN'T know you can go right from bookmarks to a Pocket Query. I never put it all together in the same brain hemisphere! It works great! For me, this is quite adequate for caching along a route. Thanks, Jeremy, for the hook-up with Google Earth. I'm sure it's extra load on the servers, and hope it can keep working....

That whole "series of features" needs more publicity in the threreads, or I just missed it. I'll do my part on our SoCal forum.

I'll add it to my FAQ as well on Caches on a Route...

Just a note: you can also bookmark directly from Google Earth. If you click the icon, it will have a link to bookmark the cache.

I've also had the problem with my bookmark list not showing up. I just hit refresh and it appears. It happens pretty constantly, to the point where it's a routine for me. - Click bookmark link, hit refresh, then pull down the list.

While the better solution of a bounded PQ would be helpful, I don't see why using GoogleEarth would be limited on a trip across the US. In fact I think it would be much more reliable than a bounded PQ.

Example:

If I'm going from New York to San Francisco, 2,914 miles along Interstate 80. Setting up the pocket queries alone would be REALLY icky. If it were a BOUNDED query, like has been proposed in this thread (filed under "shot-gun approach"), it looks like I-80 hits the northern most point in Indiana at N 41.756° and the farthest southern point at the end of the trip in San Francisco at N 37.767°. Of course, the western part is also in Frisco at W 122.406°, and the eastern part is right near the Teterboro Airport around W 074.013°.

So the bounded box is

North: N 41.756°

South: N 37.767°

East: W 074.013°

West: W 122.406°

Taking the math further...

That's a rectangle about 275 miles North to South and about 2,459 miles East to West. Area=LengthxWidth, so that's 676,225 square miles of caches in a bounded rectangle, with the end of the trip being one of the most densely populated areas on the planet for caches.

Method 2:

Using Pocket Queries as they exist now, I tried the first leg from New York to about Nescopek State Park in Pennsylvania, and used a 50 mile radius. Guess what? Over 500 caches. So using the CURRENT system of PQs and Streets and Trips, etc. isn't going to work either. WAY too time consuming.

Method 3:

I started with GoogleEarth, and already found listings for

Dumping Ground

Rush Hour Madness

Here We Go Again

A Bridge Not Far #3 (GCQCG1)

Cache with a View (GCKDH2)

One Way, Wrong Way, Way out of the Way (GCNW8D)

GODZILLA! (GCM9DG) (that one looks cool)

Welcome to the Pennsylvania WILDS (I-80 Rest area) (GCK5AV)

etc., etc..

It didn't take me long, and probably the biggest limitation of this method is the number of Google Views allowed. Right now after going through New Jersey and hitting Pennsylvania, I've used about 60 of my 200 views.

So, the Google Earth method DOES work cross country, and in my opinion, probably better than other methods proposed so far...

Of course, if someone had a leg of the journey that ALREADY had a bookmark list, that was shared, that would be helpful as well. To that end, I bookmarked readily accessible caches along I-57 from Kankakee to I-24 in Illinois and I-55 from Joliet to St. Louis.

If others do the same, and periodically update their bookmark lists, you can get a PQ of them.

I had a go with the google earth solution, but I think the 200 searches is a big limiting factor. I used a sparsely cache populated area to test it.

The area of the map had 60 caches shown according to the stats on the left hand side, inclusing 5 earth caches, 2 virtuals etc. However the map was actually showing 1 virt and no earthcaches. In fact less than half the caches it claimed were on screen were there. If I scrolled to the place where those caches actually were, it used up another of my 200 searches.

In no time at all I was down to 150 searches left. I can see that if I want to see any detail at all (like the local roads), I would be reaching the limit pretty quickly, and have very little of the route covered. The job would need doing for a couple of hours a day for several weeks to cover a long route. I would then have to do the whole thing again when I want to see new caches.

If I could get the PQs, I could get the info in in a week and sort out a list of caches in a day. As the PQs update each week, the new caches on my route would automatically show in my usual mapping program.

As we haven't heard anything on this thread from TPTB for a while, is there any chance we could have an update as to when we can expect changes? I'm willing to be patient, but it would just be nice to know if it's still in the pipeline or not.

T

I JUST use MapSource.

I load a GPX file of all caches in the state that 1.) I dont own, 2. I haven't found, and 3.) are active.

I then take the mouse and draw rectangles around all the caches on the map that arn't on the route (takes a minute or so) - hitting the delete button for each rectangle i create with the mouse - wiping them all off the map.

When Im done, I have only those wwaypoints on the route. I save to file and upload it to my GPX.

I've been doing this quite regularly and have got it down to the task only taking me a couple of minutes now.

GeoLobo: Some areas are a lot "denser" than yours. In my case there are 595 active caches within 4.9 miles of my house. PQ's and mapping programs don't work well for a route through dense areas, because of the number limits. Google Earth works reasonable well in that case.

Having such a feature would be very nice! I'm satisfied, currently, by using the KML filter for Google Earth, and downloading the caches along the highway (or whatever) I will be travelling along. To me, doing it this way (with Google Earth) does not present a heavy workload for myself. Granted, having a feature to do this on the website would be even easier for everyone, I do understand. I'm not a lazy person by any means, so I don't mind at all.

If fishingdude720 were a premium member, he would actually have a solution. From Google Earth he could click on each cache along the route he is taking to add it to a bookmark list. Then he could get a Pocket Query for that bookmark list and load the coordinates into his GPSr and the descriptions into his Palm.

Of course if there are many cache along the route this could be time consuming.

yes. And now I am after I figured all of that out. It was a christmas present!

Use Google Earth and have a Bookmark list ready to go. As you see a bunch of caches on the way...

When you're done, you have a ready-made list of caches that are along your route. It may become out of date as old ones are archived and new ones come up, but at least it's a start.

When you're ready for your trip, create a Pocket Query from that bookmark list. You've got all of the current information on the caches ready to go portable in GSAK or Spinner or Cachemate and all of the most current data on caches that you KNOW are along your route and not archived.

I'm not saying this is the perfect solution. It's yet another work-around, and I'm still waiting for a better solution from TPTB. But I'll wait patiently.

Yes that is what I was talking about. Except you can just click the bookmark it on the popup thing on GE

I am struggeling with this. PLZ HELP!

I have googleearth plus.

I have a list of waypoints.

how the heck do I plug them into googleearth or get their waypoints?

THX A BUNCH

Leslie

I am struggeling with this. PLZ HELP!

I have googleearth plus.

I have a list of waypoints.

how the heck do I plug them into googleearth or get their waypoints?

THX A BUNCH

Leslie

It's not even a matter of using the waypoints to view them. On your "My Cache Page" you'll have a section like this on the right...

57945c77-612c-480f-ad2c-fc73ae49717e.jpg

Download the file to your hard drive, and then double click it. It will start GoogleEarth, and if you zoom in close enough, you'll see the caches.

I've had some success with my PDA and mapopolis software.

Mapopolis has a proximity feature that works great for caching along a route. You can upload a GPX file and the program will alert you when a waypoint comes into a specified radius (say 2 miles). It then gives you an option to preempt the existing driving directions and re-routs you to the selected waypoint.

Mapopolis has no restrictions on the number of waypoints you can upload.

I figure I'm taking my PDA with anyway to read pocket querries, why not put it work full time.

My PDA has built-in bluetooth so I purchased an additional bluetooth GPS that sits on my dash (about $100).

Mapopolis is freeware, but they charge to download maps. I tested it for aabout a week before I purchased the receiver and maps and I'm very impressed.

The GoogleEarth/bookmark idea is similar to what I have thought desirable for some time. I use the Geocaching Maps, and move along my intended route, using the 'identify' feature to get the listing of the caches in the area. What I eventually wind up with is a GPX listing that eventually is loaded into my GPSr and PDA.

What should be fairly simple and would make me happy, would be the ability to (a) click on the icons along the route to send them to a bookmark list, OR (B) have a checkbox by each cache in the 'Identify list' to add them to a bookmark list. Then use a PQ to go on from there.

Edited by chuckmor

For the Geocaching.com maps to work BEST for caching along a route, here's my wish list:

• Larger area on the screen - say 600x750 instead of 400x350
  • Zoom and pan without reloading the entire page (like google maps) - of course there would be some "threshhold" that would require the maps to reload the page, but if people could zoom and pan within 5 miles before reloading, that would make it MUCH more attractive
  • After "identifying" the caches, allow user to check mark the ones they like and add them to a Bookmark List (which of course would be available for a PQ

Of course, I have NO idea how hard/expensive this is to implement, but this is pretty much how the Google Earth interface works now except that you can't add a bunch of caches at once. The only problem right now is the view limitation on Google Earth and the intentional fuzzy coordinates. Otherwise, it rocks.

For the Geocaching.com maps to work BEST for caching along a route, here's my wish list:

[*]Larger area on the screen - say 600x750 instead of 400x350

[*]Zoom and pan without reloading the entire page (like google maps) - of course there would be some "threshhold" that would require the maps to reload the page, but if people could zoom and pan within 5 miles before reloading, that would make it MUCH more attractive

[*]After "identifying" the caches, allow user to check mark the ones they like and add them to a Bookmark List (which of course would be available for a PQ

Amen to the above. Pretty much what I said, but the Reloading of the page is a REAL PAIN. Using the 'Identify' page, and clicking on a cache page, then coming back and having two extra clicks and waiting for the reload is really time consuming, even with a DSL line. Please fix that if nothing else.

Thanks.

I came here hoping to find a solution to this frustrating problem, but it appears no simple solution existings.

All I would need for my uses is the ability to download an entire state at once, or at least a higher limit on the PQ. I see no reason for a 500 cache limit on the PQs. Why not make entire states available via FTP? In a few seconds I'd have all the states I needed for a trip.

The filtering I can do myself. I first create my route in Garmin's Mapsource, save as an mps file, then use that mps file as an arc filter in GSAK, using a 1 mile distance from the roads I'm on.

All it would take to make this so easy...at least for Garmin users, is access to larger groups of data, such as entire states.

And how do you get those caches into your GPS?

And the descriptions into your Palm?

I've been "Bookmarking" the caches in cachemate, on the palm, that show up in Google Earth, of course I have to have the right pocket query data. I've stuck to very local caches so far, so not sure how it would work on a long trip.

Google Earth is excellent. Though Local.live.com has better resolution where I look.

I'm still waiting on a way to print them well, on a map.

Local.live.com has the same exact picture as Google Earth for my house (which is the terra server high-res color image). The difference is that I can open that Geocaching file and see where the CACHES are on Google Earth - remember, we're not talking Google Maps, Google Earth.

I have been using the Google Earth approach to identify caches close to the highway for a trip I am planning. It is working, but is tedious work, and not at all satisfying for an engineering type. Also, I am running out of "available views" very quickly. This will likely be a several day process.

I have to believe (I know) that it is very possible to write some code that would identify waypoints within a corridor of a route. This would require some processor and i/o and wouldn't be suited for a central service like geocaching.com. The issue here is getting the cache waypoint data into the mapping program that would create the routes and run the query.

My suggestion would be for geocaching.com to have a subscription service where you could get a DVD with all the cache data for a given area (probably state by state). This would obviously be a point in time and would get quickly outdated, but would allow people to bring a full data set in for planning trips. This could also be another source of revenue for Groundspeak. The threat here for Groundspeak would be losing control of the data, as this would lower the barrier to competing services. A license agreement would likely be necessary only allowing personal use of the data. I am not a lawyer, so I am not sure how this would all work.

The next step would be to work with a mapping program that creates routes and stores waypoints. Using exposed APIs a program could be written to query all waypoints along let's say a one mile corridor of a route. The resulting list of waypoints could then be extracted and loaded into a GPSr. Maybe geocaching.com could support the upload of bookmark lists (limit of 500 bookmarks) for people who wanted updated information for their "route waypoints". It would be easy to chunk these if one hit the 500 bookmark limit.

An opensource project could be created to develop the "route query" using one of the popular mapping programs. I am going to think about this a bit more.

Architecturally geocaching.com is not suited for doing the type of queries necessary to automate the identification of caches along a route. Making the data available to the software that can do this is the current constraint. Groundspeak providing a subscription service and uploadable bookmark lists would elminate the constraint and allow for the development the desired capabilities.

I have been using the Google Earth approach to identify caches close to the highway for a trip I am planning. It is working, but is tedious work, and not at all satisfying for an engineering type. Also, I am running out of "available views" very quickly. This will likely be a several day process.

Given the current limitations with pocket queries why couldn't a group of volunteers set up pocket queries for their state and upload their GSAK database on a weekly or monthly basis somewhere. Then when you were planning on a trip, you could go to the website and download the state GPX files for each state you would be traveling through.

I do all of Arkansas on a weekly basis and I would upload Arkansas data if someone gave me a place to put it.

Edited by tech_guy and the missus

That is a possibility. Someone would need to manage the aggregation of the data. I suppose Groundspeak could make the state files (snapshots at a particular point in time) available for download from the web. Again, if I were them I would charge extra for this service, another source of revenue. Make it affordable of course. I bet taking this approach would lighten the load on the servers. People would be willing to work with a little older data and would query less. Much more of the processing would happen local using tools like GSAK or mapping programs.

How big does your state file get?

I was just reading information about the Microsoft MapPoint API. They have exposed methods within their object model that query for "places" or waypoints within a certain radius of an entire route. This would accomplish exactly what I stated in my earlier post.

I am going to take a crack at uploading caches as a unique type of Microsoft MapPoint "place". I am then going to create a route and write some code that uses the methods to query for the caches along the route. Theoretically I should be able to get a list of caches within the radius of a route. This list could then be used to select the cache waypoints to load from GSAK using a macro.

All this in my spare time of course ;)

Not sure if this could then be used with Streets and Trips. I hope so, the maps in MapPoint 4.x are outdated.