Maps

D & K

Well, the map page does have this text:

"As a Premium Member you can zoom in, zoom out, and pan maps. Caches you have found are also marked. Visit the Premium Membership page for more information on subscriber features."

As a non-Premium Member, however, (regardless of whether or not that sentence refers to "scrolling" as defined by the OP) scrolling of the maps works for me.

As a non-premium member, I can use the NSEW to pan.  I can zoom with the image bars or the map-click with option chosen

I have always been able to do the same (as a non-premium member) today I can do everything except NSEW....Very strange...

That is wierd, because I am still able to do it...

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

It has been locked down, but I also now filter the Identify button so it only retrieves the top 25 caches within 100 miles from your click location based on what is visible.

So if you only had traditional checked, clicking Identify on a cache infested region will just return traditional caches.

Yep, it's definitely locked now.

Everybody thank D&K.... :laughing:

LOL...is this what finally pushes me to pay???

:P

I didn't take advantage of the access often at all, but when I did, it was somewhat useful. If we can get degree filtering or the route planning going, I'd put in the $3 per month, instead of the $30 a year.

/wonders how many premium members who want to "give more" realize the extra six bucks they could be giving... :D

Now Jeremy, are you going to revive the ability to pan and zoom to those that have inadvertantly had the ability since the maps were available? Or is it a feature that only those that have disposable income, have a fast internet connection, and the time (due to excess money) to use? I, personally, do not make enough money, therefore not having disposable income, to spend just to get back a feature I had just a week ago. The feature, just like Buxley's maps have been very useful to plan an effecient route and finding nearby caches. Also, on the "My Account Details" page the calender is gone. Why?

Now Jeremy, are you going to revive the ability to pan and zoom to those that have inadvertantly had the ability since the maps were available?  Or is it a feature that only those that have disposable income, have a fast internet connection, and the time (due to excess money) to use?  I, personally, do not make enough money, therefore not having disposable income, to spend just to get back a feature I had just a week ago.  The feature, just like Buxley's maps have been very useful to plan an effecient route and finding nearby caches.  Also, on the "My Account Details" page the calender is gone.  Why?

Disposable income? 3 dollars a month (or 2.50 if you buy a yearly subscription)

Fast internet? I'm on dialup in rural MS - I have NO problems with the maps even though I'm lucky to get 4.5kb/s downloads.

Time (due to excess money) ? - not sure what that means.....

Wait a second - what does fast internet and time have to do with anything? I don't get the arguement.... the feature worked while it was "free" didn't it?

-----------

That being said - all you need to find a geocache is the waypoint.

southdeltan

Edited by southdeltan

Hmmm, you guys were lucky I think. The few times I've gotten on, and forgotten to log in (not from my home computer) or was logged in with my wife's account (no-premium), I never could get the maps to pan/zoom and it took a while to figure out why. Once I learned I never forgot to log in again. So I say again, you guys were lucky they did.

OK, back to the question at hand:

Jeremy, are you going to revive the ability to pan and zoom to those that have inadvertantly had the feature since the maps were available?  It seems bad policy to punish the user for the programming problems at Groundspeak.

How is it punishment to get free access for a while to something you would normally have to pay for?

Could someone please punish me with an all-expense-paid trip to Hawaii? Then you can make me come back home in a few months.

Jeremy, are you going to revive the ability to pan and zoom to those that have inadvertantly had the feature since the maps were available?

Given all the other perks available to premium members, this does seem a small and rather insignificant thing to grant to the rest of us.

Surely if it went unnoticed this long, it doesn't really matter much--and it would create much good will!

(bleep), I had this capability...and had every intention of paying for membership when I was able....but now that it is gone, along with my current best stress relief, I wonder how much geo-caching i'll do. I bike to my caches, and without this...caching is much harder. This should not be a paying thing, I have already introduced several people to geo-caching who would definitely become paid-subscribers, but without those cache search systems they would never have heard about Geo-caching.com because I would never have told them about it.

I would open this up to everyone if I were the people running Geo-caching.com.

I bought a GPS based on this...my disposable income is non-existent and based upon this...I doubt I'll continue Geo-caching(despite the fact that I'll be able to pay in a few months)...my experience with this site has been nothing but pleasant until now.......I'm surprised at this Jeremy Irish, I understand making money(this IS America)..but you are making this hobby self-limiting.

Sorry about the rant, despite my short time here I really love geocaching....and this is a terrible thing to do to new users!

You know, the OLD maps are STILL available.

Go to the Main page: www.geocaching.com

Look in the upper right corner for

To locate the nearest geocaches in your area...

by state (US Only):

and select your state:

The person who bought his GPS based on panning :blink: is from CA (I think) so here's his map:

http://www.geocaching.com/map/CA.asp

Pan, Zoom and ID to your hearts content.

southdeltan

Jeremy, are you going to revive the ability to pan and zoom to those that have inadvertantly had the feature since the maps were available? It seems bad policy to punish the user for the programming problems at Groundspeak.

Punishment? Seems more like a long term free trial.

Suppose the local ATM accidentally gave you an extra free $10 every time you made a withdrawal. Then the bank discovered the error and correctly reprogrammed the ATM. Would you be at the bank demanding your free money?

Jeremy, are you going to revive the ability to pan and zoom to those that have inadvertantly had the feature since the maps were available? It seems bad policy to punish the user for the programming problems at Groundspeak.

No. This was never meant to happen.

I'm not punishing you. I'm removing a premium member feature from being accessible to non premium members, as it was written all along. It has always been documented on the page that way. If there was no text explaining this I may have reconsidered.

You know, the OLD maps are STILL available.

Go to the Main page:  www.geocaching.com

Look in the upper right corner for

To locate the nearest geocaches in your area...

by state (US Only):

and select your state:

The person who bought his GPS based on panning  :blink:  is from CA (I think) so here's his map:

http://www.geocaching.com/map/CA.asp

Pan, Zoom and ID to your hearts content.

southdeltan

I looked at those maps like the 1st or 2nd day after I discovered geocaching. For months I've been trying to figure out how I'd done it. Duh! ;)

Thanks for posting that info!!!

Shouldn't you be thanking him for all the free access you had to a members-only feature? And congratulating him for fixing another programming problem?

I have promised myself to keep my peace about the premie/nonpremie 'wars' but this latest removal of features just happned to bite my butt just the right way for me to break that promise.

While I think it is every bit the right of Jeremy and crew to 'correct oversights' as needed, I do not see how the allowing of non-premies access to the scroll/zoom features of the 'new' maps would be removing any thing from the premium members' experience.

I USED to use the scrolling and zoom to help me plan my caching roadtrips, as I do not own ( could not afford and still can't) a GPSr capable of d-loading waypoints or a PDA capable of dealing with pocket queries, which I couldn't do anyway cause I am barely able to afford net access let alone the premie member 'premium'. Now I do not have ANY way to plan out my caching trips in any timely way at all. thanks . 'preciate it.

I can understand letting premium features into the hands of non-premies for a day, week, month, even a quarter year as being an oversight. letting something like this go for well over a YEAR seems more like a planned move. Sure, It probably was an oversight, but reminds me a bit of a bait -n- switch.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to be a Premie member and on a $300 GPSr and a $250 PDA to go with it and one day I might. But right now just isn't in the cards..

Oh and Ditto to most of ben&JJ's previous post.

okay, i am done ranting... I know THPB will not reverse their decision to correct the 'mapping features oversight'. I just needed to express my displeasure and vent . I am done now, except for the 'fending off of the premie-ites" :P)

--Nuff said

Edited by virgo91967

Wow, someone actually agreed with my post :laughing: .

Like virgo91967 I know that things are unlikely to change....though I do miss this ability. As do the FIVE people that I introduced who probably would have ended up paying for premium membership(I thought only three), without me having this mapping ability though they never would have even heard about geocaching.com...and after this they wouldn't consider paying for it. I might one day(when I can afford it, the $30 I payed for my GPS was more than I can afford) still pay for a membership....but after this I wonder, what if the next part of geocaching.com that I use requires "premium+ membership". the 'map it' option seemed like just another basic part of geocaching.com. I don't use pocket queries or anything else, the 'members only' caches, I couldn't care less about them....but take away something that really should be standard; and the people that I have introduced to geocaching will not even consider paying...what will be next, only 2 caches a day for non-premium? Maybe 50 for premium? I wonder what the future holds for geocaching.com......My wife has already cleared our budget to pay the $30 a year, and as much as I enjoyed(note the past tense) geocaching.com when I saw this....I had second thoughts.

Up until this point I couldn't imagine that there could be any site greater than geocaching.com....this was a very rude awakening to the true realities of geocaching.com. I've got more to say, mainly what my friends said when I told them about this new to me' development.....but I don't want banned.

Thanks for reading this

PS....I suspect that the person who gave me a link to the CA maps was being sarcastic, but thank you anyways....in the current dirth of services that geocaching.com left me...these are great. Thank You.(If it wasn't in sarcasm I apologize, It is quite useful in geocaching.com's failing)

Edited by Ben & JJ
I bought a GPS based on this...

You bought your GPS solely based on the ability to pan maps????

you can afford a GPS (based on map scrolling?) car and gas, time, etc. to go out searching - but you can't afford $3 per month --

hmmm... what is wrong with this picture -

me thinks you might like to have some free cheese (to go with all the whine you have).

...Up until this point I couldn't imagine that there could be any site greater than geocaching.com....this was a very rude awakening to the true realities of geocaching.com.

...in the current dirth of services that geocaching.com left me...

Are you kidding me?

Where else can you get as much for FREE as you do here?

(leaves shaking his head in disgust...)

I think the pannable and zoomable maps are an attractive feature and they would attract more new members. So I don't think it was a good idea to make the panning and zooming a premium feature.

It depends on if you want new members or new premium members. :)

--Marky

Apologies if this upsets anyone, but this stinks to high heaven to me. I'm afraid that after the amount of time that this 'mistake' was allowed to run, I cannot believe that it was never brought to Jeremy's attention before. Whatever the amount of money involved, it simply looks like a case of let 'em have untill they're used to it, then take it away and see how many pay up for it. This makes gc.com look bad.

Apologies if this upsets anyone, but this stinks to high heaven to me. I'm afraid that after the amount of time that this 'mistake' was allowed to run, I cannot believe that it was never brought to Jeremy's attention before. Whatever the amount of money involved, it simply looks like a case of let 'em have untill they're used to it, then take it away and see how many pay up for it. This makes gc.com look bad.

well - if you were using it as a non-member (which you seem to be - and obviously did not!) - and had read the notice that it was supposed to be for paid members only (which I did the first time I used it - and immediately recognized it was broken in my favor) - would you go rat it off so you couln't use it? Some how I DONT' THINK SO!

I wouldn't and didn't - but then I became a member to support a very good site. I'm a cheap sucker (with little 'disposable' income). I will not pay for sites or software if I can get away with it - use sharewhere whenever I can. So paying for this site speaks volumes for it (andme) as far as I am concerned - that and the GSAK software - first free software I have paid for and not had to - it deserves support.

Edited by CompuCash
This makes gc.com look bad.

I'm glad you're enjoying using the free services of the web site. The next time I'm in the server room at 2:00am fixing something so the site continues to serve pages for you, I'll remember your post and instantly - warm fuzzies will spring from my chest.

I don't think my $3 / month turns much of a profit. I always worry that for only $3 a month there won't be enough paying members to actually keep the site running this well, but somehow it keeps improving. I guess there's enough of us out there paying that all's well. I feel I get more than my money's worth.

I gotta admit, this is one of the funniest forums I've ever seen though. The arguments and the responses are both definitely entertaining.

This is not meant to bash anyone voicing their opinion about the loss of the perks the have enjoyed up till recently. I have been at the point of searching the furniture for lost change, running around collecting bottles to get refunds on and just squeeking out that months rent, thankfully I am not there anymore, and hopefully neither will anyone else for much longer. I recently lost my job in a career I've been doing for almost 20 years, and have had to tighten the budgetiary belt a few notchs. In doing so we had to look at all of our expenditures both mandatory and recreational and came up with some interesting resolutions. If our have a cell phone consider getting rid of your landline the savings may be greater than the exspence of a few more calls on the cell, a premium membership at $30.00/yr (0.003/hr) is a far cry cheaper than badminton club $20.00/6 mnth (0.38/hr), movie rental $2.00/hr, etc. It seems a hobby that any number of family and friends can enjoy for $0.003/hr (without an increase per person added) seems reasonable costwise to me. And if that is still to much then you still have the option of using a slightly scaled down/less bells and whistles version of the same database as even the most privillaged geocacher (except maybe Jeremy who has his PQs hand delivered to the actual cache sites just prior to his arrival, being carried by Hydee and Elias in a velvet lined chair.

There is very little in this world that is free anymore. I believe this comes darn close when you really think about it, don't you?

I'm glad you're enjoying using the free services of the web site. The next time I'm in the server room at 2:00am fixing something so the site continues to serve pages for you, I'll remember your post and instantly - warm fuzzies will spring from my chest.

Jeremy, I appreciate all you do for this website as I'm sure many of the non-premi members do. Please dont let the few spoil it the rest of us. :P I never used the maps, GSAK and USA photomaps did the tricks for me that I needed. For a site like Geocaching.com to operate so smoothly with all the traffic it recives boggles the mind. I wish to THANK-YOU for the late nights and many hours you put into the site. :P Thanks again! :huh:

Edited by Pooh and friends