Why GPSr?

MacBWizard

GPS stands for Global Positioning System but it's much more than simply a positioning system hence the formal name NAVSTAR GPS (NAVigation Satellite Timing And Ranging Global Positioning System), the world's first global utility.

Timing and Ranging functions are an inportant part of this system and in that regards one might differentiate between what some call a GPSr and straight timing and ranging equipment.

Maybe it should be GPSu as that is what we are the "User Segment" as opposed to the Control and Space segments.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

How about those of us who use the GPS system? We also use ATM machines.

But only with your PIN number.

Anyway, I thought it was Geocache Placing/Seeking system. icon_razz.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

"It doesn't take a nucular scientist to pronounce 'foilage'." --Marge Simpson

[This message was edited by Dinoprophet on November 12, 2002 at 06:54 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

When the ATM's first came out, at least where I was, it stood for "Any Time Money" machine.

Automated Teller Machine came along a while later.

In Wisconsin, we called them "TYME machines" because they're all on the TYME network and somehow they achieved brand-name recognizability. When out-of-state, I once asked where the TYME machine was and got a very strange look. I thought TYME stood for "Take Your Money Everywhere," but that could have been my brother pulling my leg.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

How about those of us who use the GPS system? We also use ATM machines.

I don't. I use a GPS reciever and an ATM.

When I was growing up what is now called ATM was referred to as MAC machine, with MAC being short for Money Access Center. The little kiosks and machines were plastered with big MAC signs and the cards were blue with MAC in big letters. My current ATM access card still has the MAC logo on the back of it.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

Where I lived (NJ) at the time, they were "MAC" machines (money access center or something like that).

Now where I live the "ATM" abbreviation is used, but I'm still used to having "machine" at the end.

I know GPSR is more correct, but usually say "GPS" or "Maggie" icon_wink.gif and people know I'm not talking about the navigation standard or a bunch of things flying around in orbit, but that little gadget I'm carrying around.

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

When the ATM's first came out, at least where I was, it stood for "Any Time Money" machine.

Automated Teller Machine came along a while later.

Say "I'm looking for a gee pee ess arr" when you go into a sporting goods store and you'll probably have to explain yourself. If you launch into a dissertation about the "correct" usage, you likely have way too much time on your hands.

I've only seen "GPSr" in these forums. It's one of those "n-th degree of pickiness" things that doesn't add any real meaning, much like the word "orientate".

quote:
Originally posted by CreagerStone Family:

I've only seen "GPSr" in these forums. It's one of those "n-th degree of pickiness" things that doesn't add any real meaning, much like the word "orientate".

People in these forums tend to be very pedantic. Its a sickness which affects many social groups, in which by saying things a certain way you somehow assert some dominance over everybody who doesn't get it.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

People in these forums tend to be very pedantic. Its a sickness which affects many social groups, in which by saying things a _certain way_ you somehow assert some dominance over everybody who doesn't _get it_.

It is simply using the correct terminology. GPS and GPSr are two different things. It's not a crucial distinction in most cases but it's good practice to use the correct term when writing.

In any case, my wife calls it the "geocaching machine" which is even more descriptive. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Couch_Potato:

When I was growing up what is now called ATM was referred to as MAC machine, with MAC being short for Money Access Center.

As I recall, while the MAC machine logo said "Money Access Center" under it, the blue MAC card said "Money Access Card" under the logo. So I guess we were supposed to stick our MAC in the MAC to get our cash.

I have always thought the GPSr thing was kind of silly, like the guy said in an earlier post ask for it in a store that way and no one will know what your talking about. I won't mention his name but there was a person on here who use to say GPS then all of a sudden he changed to GPSr, look what your peers can do to a guy!

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

It's similar to television. Even though our TV is only the receiver end of the system, we still refer to it as a TV (not a TVr).

The similarity is superficial. We agree to call both a television receiver and a television system by the same name, television, or TV for short.

The origin of the term GPS is different and we don't drop the system from the name. When Garmin, Magellan or Lowrance refer to the device we hold in our hand they call it a GPS receiver or sometimes a GPS unit. In forums like this we like to abbreviate so we call it a GPSr.

As with all acronym soup, some people get indigestion. To be on the safe side we should spell it out. That's what the manufacturers do--you don't see them use GPS without receiver unless it's in a title.

Word usage is not fixed. If enough people call their receivers a GPS then that may become the accepted term. At present, though, the literature overwhelmingly agrees that it's a GPS receiver.

The USNO website basically says that the system as a whole is called GPS.

It consists three major segments: SPACE, CONTROL and USER.

Space segment is the satellites.

Control segment is the ground stations that monitor the satellites and send any corrections to them

User segment consists of antennas and receiver-processors that provide positioning, velocity, and precise timing to the user.

Therefore it should be GPSU, as your handheld device is the user segment.

But why is everyone so bothered about the nomenclature, just go use the device, thats why you bought it (you did buy it didn't you?)

When they want rain, native Americans do a dance. When I go geocaching, it rains. Is there a link?