Areas With Underwhelming Cache Numbers...

davester

I was away in York over the past weekend and sat down last week thinking I'll make myself a nice walking route taking in the no-doubt numerous caches on the North York Moors.

I eagerly loaded up Memory Map, zoomed to the vacinity of the moors and........what a disappointing lack of caches. Sure there are a few about in clusters but this is more or less a whole national park with no caches near the middle (they were all at the edges).

Anyone else come across an unusual or unexpected cache desert like this?

The Malvern Hills in Worcestershire, and the surrounding countryside. I visited Malvern last week and was stunned at how few caches have been hidden within 10 mile radius.

I lived in a village (Leigh Sinton, in case any Malvern'ites are reading) near Malvern for 7 years and know there are numerous great walks to and through secluded/interesting/unusual areas that you wouldn't normally see unless you had a specific reason to go there, e.g. a cache.

'God' willing, I'll be able to afford to move back there one day and rectify the situation!

The Malvern Hills in Worcestershire, and the surrounding countryside. I visited Malvern last week and was stunned at how few caches have been hidden within 10 mile radius.

I lived in a village (Leigh Sinton, in case any Malvern'ites are reading) near Malvern for 7 years and know there are numerous great walks to and through secluded/interesting/unusual areas that you wouldn't normally see unless you had a specific reason to go there, e.g. a cache.

'God' willing, I'll be able to afford to move back there one day and rectify the situation!

I too was surprised at the cache dessert that is the Malvern Hills. It's a good few years since I've been walking on them and I know a really good hotel nearby so I had it top of my list to visit next time Matt and I have the luxury of a child free weekend, but what's the point if there are no caches nearby!!!!

Surely there must be some cachers nearby who can lay some, it is such a beautiful area!

The Cardiff area. There is a nice cluster round Methyr T, but not very many in and around Cardiff itself. I kept seeing places that I would LOVE to place a cache. I guess in Bucks we are just spoiled, and the trick is finding a spot that does not have a cache in it already. Luckily for Cardiff, my friend down there is interested in placing some with me and says he will maintain them. Next time I am down there....

There appears to only be 4 caches in Glasgow, 2 of them being virtuals.

This is an extremely small amount considering Glasgow is a lot larger than Edinburgh, and Edinburgh has in excess of probably 50.

It must be said that all around Glasgow (but not within it) has an abundance of good caches.

Well thank goodness for that !!! 4 too many if you ask me :blink:

Eee, you think you have it tough. That's nothing.

The whole of France - that's 2.2 times the size of the UK - has less than 500 caches.

I live in a region with 1.2 million inhabitants, 25 caches (of which I own 7 and the rest were placed by tourists), and one active Geocacher - me. Makes me feel like Matt Lucas's Dafydd: "I am the only gay in this village". Sort of.

I don't suppose many people say "thank goodness for Germany being so close" very often, but that's what I'm reduced to :blink:

Now if you'll excuse me I have to put in a 23-hour shift at 't pit.

Nick

Edited by sTeamTraen
There appears to only be 4 caches in Glasgow, 2 of them being virtuals.

This is an extremely small amount considering Glasgow is a lot larger than Edinburgh, and Edinburgh has in excess of probably 50.

I agree - I drove through Glasgow on Sunday and it struck me that Ullium really needs to get going with his cache setting!! Ha! ha!

North Yorkshire Moors..... yes.....

This area is only 1/2 hour drive from me, and must be void of cachers.

I have thought of placing in the area, but so was Harrogate area before I started. Now rectified !

I kept leaving the north yorkshire moors area for new cachers to populate, but nothing seems to happen !

What do people want.... if I do place some out there... will people go !

Thoughts please...

North Yorkshire Moors..... yes.....

This area is only 1/2 hour drive from me, and must be void of cachers. 

I have thought of placing in the area, but so was Harrogate area before I started.  Now rectified !

I kept leaving the north yorkshire moors area for new cachers to populate, but nothing seems to happen !

Thoughts please...

Some near to the NYM Steam railway stations would be nice. They actually promote a lot of walking activities and could help publicise caching in the area, if a local cacher gets in touch. I thought of placing a cache trail starting in Pickering and moving up the line to Goathland (my girlfriend lives in the area so looking after the caches wasn't an issue), but it would probably take too much organisation for the time I can spend up there.

Otherwise, the Hole of Horcum would be a storming place for a cache or two.

This site is pretty inspirational as well.

Edited by davester

Thoughts please...

Hide them and they will come, When I started there was only one cache in my entire county (a holday cache from before the days of these being disallowed). Now there are a few more :P . Most finders are geotourists but slowly but surely there are a few new local cachers. And next year we are planning to host the 3rd Annual Scottish cache bash, this annual event may even be turning into a bi annual event due to the increased population of cachers. And you can see how the interest levels have increasd by the good attendance of the SGDO up Ben Nevis recently (Scottish Geocachers Day out). So If I were you I would go out and hide some caches in your nearby desserts, This will bring in the geotourists and once there are a few on the map it will encourage others. If you were new to geocaching and searched the site to discover your nearest cache was 50 miles away you might never look at the site again, but if you have one or two good ones nearby then that will be enough for you to get the bug. Or if you have family further afield that live in a cache free zone hide some nearby when you visit and ask them to maintain it for you, Then give them a gps for christmas :laughing::)

Cheers

Donnie

How about 13 in Dumfries and Galloway region ( 2 of which are dubious) and 7 in Borders region……

That’s 20 caches in the width of the country !!!!

50 caches in a day ????yeah right ! :huh:

You need to get to Edinburgh Bob, :blink: You'll still be hard pushed for your 50 in a day, but you may be surprised, not all of it feels like City caching.

Regarding the posts by wildlifewriter and markandlynn concerning Ireland:

- Kerry - I agree, it's a bit of a cache desert. But if you look at some of the factors of caching down there:

- There's only 1 active cacher in Kerry - that being marcus_in_kerry, and he owns two caches. He also maintains one in Killarney. There's one placed by a Galway cacher (The Quiet Man - "Off With His Head"), one placed by a Dutch cacher in the Gap of Dunloe, there's my Carrauntohill one, there's Vinnie's Ring on the Ring of Kerry (another Dutch cacher), and the one near Inch placed by UK cachers.

I think it's to do with population density.

- Fermanagh - is a cache desert - agreed. But again, there's either one or no active cachers there. Also consider that the county is hard to get around due to lakes and rivers, and that population density, especially to the south with Cavan/Leitrim is quite low.

- Armagh - I think that the relative absence of caches in Armagh is for a number of reasons. There's (I think three) caches in Armagh - Under The Boardwalk, Benurb Valley and my All Along The Watchtowers. Two are in the very north of the county, and my own is in South Armagh. The county (south of Armagh city) is very rural, and is also, to the casual visitor, a little intimidating, with Army Watchtowers and diverse Republican murals and roadsigns dotting the countyside. But it is also a very beautiful part of the island, especially the Gap of the North, where I placed my cache.

If you look at the island of Ireland, the main concentration of caches centre around the population centres, the two largest being Belfast and Dublin, and their immediate hinterlands - the Antrim/Down area and the Wicklow mountains. And also in the smaller cities - Galway and Sligo being good examples. But there's no caches at all in Cork city - and only one in Limerick - and none in Derry either.

So it must be down to population density - and active cachers, whereever they may be.

Happy caching!

Klaus23

As the facts are there I have to agree with Klaus however EVERY SINGLE cache we visited was of exceptional quality. Quality not quantity is the theme in Ireland. With a bit more research (Deserted Village!) before we left or even booked the holiday it would of been even better. Our did not find (or even get close) at Carrunthill has led to plans for a kids with the grandparents weekend sometime next year so we can return. Watch out Klaus were comin back :lol:

As the facts are there I have to agree with Klaus however EVERY SINGLE cache we visited was of exceptional quality. Quality not quantity is the theme in Ireland. With a bit more research (Deserted Village!) before we left or even booked the holiday it would of been even better. Our did not find (or even get close) at Carrunthill has led to plans for a kids with the grandparents weekend sometime next year so we can return. Watch out Klaus were comin back :o

Thanks for the kind words markandlynn,

It's nice to hear that you thought highly of the caches here, and good to know that you're coming back.

As I said previously, let me know when you are over so we can organise an event for a Carrauntohill ascent. I'm sure there'll be a few who'll make the trip down.

And if you're good we can do the Deserted Village cache as well!

(*shivers*)

Did I just say that... did you read the logs from that event... do you know we all nearly got killed on that trek... :lol:

I drove through Glasgow on Sunday and it struck me that Ullium really needs to get going with his cache setting!! Ha! ha!

I agree Allieballie ;) It's a matter of finding the time :unsure:

And of course the right locations !!

Over the winter months I will set about placing as many as I can .... I've been keeping my eyes open when out and about in Glasgow but I can sympathise with how FFB feels in that there seems to be very few locations within the city that one would like to attract fellow geocachers to...for obvious reasons knowing Glasgow's reputation !! But be rest assured I am working on it :unsure:

I have noted some nice locations on the outskirts of Glasgow but the question of permission bothers me somewhat !?

BTW I see you have been busy placing some more caches ;)

Well done :lol:

Ullium.

Edited by Ullium
I've been keeping my eyes open when out and about in Glasgow but I can sympathise with how FFB feels in that there seems to be very few locations within the city that one would like to attract fellow geocachers to...for obvious reasons knowing Glasgow's reputation !!

I have noted some nice locations on the outskirts of Glasgow but the question of permission bothers me somewhat !?

BTW I see you have been busy placing some more caches :P

I feel exactly the same way!

(a) there are some places where I've thought about setting caches in south-west Fife but I'm not sure whether some of these areas would give a good impression of this generally beautiful Kingdom!

(:) Ah yes, permission - difficult one - I've tried to stick to places where are there no signs saying "Private", "xxxxxxxx Estate/Farm/whatever" and so on!

As you note, I have been busy placing a few caches - thought I'd make a start, but they are neither long or strenous walks (which I know you like! LOL!), or difficult puzzles (ditto!). Agree that time is a problem - there are so many places I want to put caches in, but so little time to check them out for hiding places! I am hoping to get cracking with more during the coming colder months!

By the way, I am fizzingly envious of all these caches you have been doing around my old haunts up North!! LOL!! Never mind, I will be up there soon and will catch up with your finds! And I will get round to setting a few more in some good places I know up there - will probably find time in 2008 or something!!!

See you on Saturday?!

And great cache locations they are! really loved the Balmerino one, just back in after a Caching Adventure tonight on the Perth Pathfinders latest Cache Perth - A Monumental View Fife needs more caches it's a beautiful place. Keep up the good work

Well thankyou for your kind comments!

As I have probably mentioned before I have a big wish list of places to investigate - but when to do them? That's the problem!

Anyway, I know that you really just want more Fife ones so that you can get some more FTF under your belt as you have so few already (ha! ha!) - which leads me nicely onto the new PP one! I noticed it tonight too and excitedly clicked the link to find you'd already done it! Sounds good - can't wait to give it a go, but I am now torn between trying it on Friday afternoon, or checking out some new locations for myself. What a dilemma!!