Mag or True north?

Guest dslywchuk

Guest Hawk-eye

Everyone has a preference ... but if set to Magnetic North ... it makes it easier to use your compass ... just use the bearing that is given by the GPS ... if set to true north ... you'll have to manually apply declination to transfer the bearing to your compass.

If you're applying GPS info to a topo ... you could use True north and work directly off the map with the info ...

For Geocaching ... it's easier just to go magnetic for me ... don't have to deal with the declination ... not that it's that much problem in NC ... not too much variation from one end of my area to the other ... but why do the math ... when your little electronic buddy will do the work for you?

Hope that helps.

Guest Cybeq

I use true north. USGS maps reference true north and you can usually dial in a declination adjustment on your compass. Whatever you use make sure your map, compass, and GPS are all the same.

Guest Silver

eb-link above to know the declination for your area. If you live far enough north in Canada, "Magnetic" North might actually be due East of you. (It's somewhere in Hudson's Bay right now, I think.)

Hope this helps,

Silver