Good Weekend Gear

crash331

That thing would put a sizeable dent in my wallet.  I'd like to keep it under $150 if I can.

Know anything about the packs?

Two points:

1) this is probably not the most appropriate forum to post this question in since it is not directly Geocaching related.

2) Spend all your money on a good backpack and sleep under a tarp. A well pitched tarp is very light, cheap and weatherproof for three-season type use. Albiet, a tarp doesn't help much with bugs.

Good luck.

The LL Bean #2 Dome tent is a good choice. It's well made, roomy, easy to set up and highly water resistant and a bargain at $99. I have one (or had one...a friend now has it) that is almost 20 years old and still going strong. I have newer one that has served me quite well for close to 10 years. It fits 2 adults comfortably and 3 if you're very close friends. Having a 3 pole setup, it's superior in the wind to the similarly priced REI dome tent you linked to.

The only downside of this tent is that at 8 lbs (without vestibule) it's a bit on the heavy side. I usually split it with my partner. I get the tent and he/she gets the poles. I also have the optional vestibule, but rarely bring it along. I don't think its worth the extra weight...unless the forecast is for a lot of rain.

If weight is an issue, consider the LL Bean Microlight tent. Its only $119. I've never used one, but it's received some pretty good writeups in outdoors magazines.

As far as backpacks, it depends on your budget and the type of hiking you plan to do. Do not scrimp on the pack though. I would hesitate to buy the Outdoor Products pack you linked to. They are not what you call a major maker of quality packs.

If you plan to stay on well kept, flat trails, the external frame pack is the way to go. It is an inexpensive choice, as good ones can be had for around $100. They are best at carrying heavy loads for long distances over well maintained trails. Kelty makes decent frame packs, as do Jansport and Camp Trails (I haven't seen Camp Trails packs in a while so I'm not sure if they are made any more, but you can still find them in some stores).

If you plan to hike over more rugged terrain, with lots of rocky areas, stream crossings, rock scrambles and/or bushwacking, an internal frame pack is the way to go. Internal frame packs ride close to your body, which allows you be better balanced and provides much more freedom of movement than an external frame pack. The down side is that they are much more expensive, with good ones costing $200 and up. They also have to be packed with care so the load is properly balanced. Some good mfrs. of internal frame packs are Lowe, Dana Designs, Gregory, Jack Wolfskin, Mountainsmith, North Face, Arc'teryx and Osprey.

Packs are a very personal item. You have to decide which features are important to you. Do you want the convenience of a hydration system? Do you want the comfort and mobility provided by an internal frame, or the low cost and load carrying capability of an external frame pack? Do you like lots of pockets for organizing, or do you want a lightweight, sleek packbag with few pockets? Do you prefer a top loader, or panel (side) loader...or do you want a pack that does both? Do you want lots of lashpoints to hang gear outside, or do you want everything inside? Will you be hiking in the winter? If so, you may want an ice axe loop on your pack. How much gear do you plan to carry and how many days do you plan to be out? Size matters. You don't want a 6,000 ci pack if you are only going out for one or two nights. Either 1, you will attempt to fill the entire thing with unecessary items, or 2, the pack will not be filled and the contents can shift and be uncomfortable. On the other hand, a 3,000 ci model won't do for a week outdoors (unless you're an ultralight fanatic), or if you do a lot of winter camping (you need more room for extra cloting and thicker sleeping bags).

Also, remember that internal frame packs usually carry the sleeping bag inside, which takes up a lot of those ci's, while most external frames carry the bag on the outside. This means that a 3,000 ci frame pack effectively equals a 5,000 ci

internal frame pack.

Fit is another key. Make sure you choose a pack that fits you and you should have a knowledgeable salesperson there to assist you. This is why buying a pack via mail order is not a great idea unless you know exactly what you are looking for.

Edited by briansnat

What Briansnat said....

Just a note that a good pack can be a lifetime investment. I have been using my NorthFace internal for about 15 years now and it has seen A LOT of miles. My reasons for buying internal was basically because I used it a lot on skis in the winter and needed the balance, and did not need the coolness on the back that some external frames can offer.

See GCJJ2C for some pics of one of my favorite places to use my overnight camping gear. Also don't forget about some other backcountry equipment that might be important also.

- water filter pump

- sleeping bag

- cooking stove

Since there are overnight required caches out there, this thread seems on-topic enough for me.

Thanks for all the help guys. I am sure I am going to be a pain for the salesman at REI tomorrow because I have never been backpacking before. It looks like I am going to have to drop about 400 bucks for a backpack, 2 person tent, stove, shoes, water resevoir, etc., so he might be glad, depending on if they get commission.

I can at least say that I love my MountainSmith pack. But what is most important is not the brand name, but the pack that fits YOU the best. A good salesperson will help you to properly fit your pack, as there are usually several different ways the straps can be configured for your torso length and size. If the salesperson does not do this for you, ask them to have someone who knows help you. Also, you must try on packs that are full of something heavier than wadded up newspaper.

My pack buying experience is a good example of this. Although I not a woman, I carry a pack designed for women because I am rather thin and the women's packs fit my particular torso and hips the best. However, the ladies pack had to be adjusted for the tallest torso it was designed to fit. Had I tried it with the straps adjusted as they came from the factory, I would have tossed it aside immediately.

A great source for discount quality gear is www.sierratradingpost.com They are an outlet store for outdoor gear and clothing. It can be somewhat hit or miss, but if they have what you need, you will get a great deal. Even better ifyou can visit their huge outlet store in Cheyenne Wyoming. . .

Thanks for all the help guys.  I am sure I am going to be a pain for the salesman at REI tomorrow because I have never been backpacking before.  It looks like I am going to have to drop about 400 bucks for a backpack, 2 person tent, stove, shoes, water resevoir, etc.,  so he might be glad, depending on if they get commission.

Ahhh, stoves. That's a whole 'nother thread.

I have 3 stoves:

MSR Whisperlite. A great, stable, lightweight stove. May well be the most popular backpacking stove on the market. Uses inexpensive white gas. Boils water very quickly. Nice and compact. Mine fits easily in my cook kit.

Downside: One setting, blowtorch. If you're scrambling eggs, or making pancakes, you'll have to watch veeery closely, or you'll incinerate them. Also takes some practice to start. You might singe your eyelashes a few times before you figure it out.

Coleman Peak 1 Multifuel Nice stove that boils water quickly and has an adustable flame for simmering. Uses white gas, unleaded, or kerosene.

Downside: Kind of big and heavy. Not real stable. Stove and tank are 1 unit which means you have the gas inside your pack. A leak = disaster and this thing has been known to leak (several freinds own one and all have leaked). I pack mine inside a Ziploc bag just in case.

MSR Pocket Rocket I picked up this nifty little stove for my last backpacking trip. Its a butane stove that uses canisters. It boils water quickly and fits in the palm of your hand...actually it is so small you can fit 2 or 3 of them in the palm of your hand. I really liked the thing. Very easy to use. No pumping or priming. Just turn the valve and light. Adjustable flame allows for simmering, but on high is a real blowtorch.

Downside: Not super stable. Water filled pots wobble if not on perfectly flat ground. Uses canisters which take up room in the pack and have to be trashed out when empty. Canisters aren't cheap. Also loses some flame power as canister empties. Finally, butane stoves perform poorly in cold weather though the newer butane blends are better in cold weather than pure butane.

Recommendation

If you are just doing overniters in above freezing weather, go with the MSR Pocket Rocket. Its cheap (about $30) and very easy to use. One canister should be enough for an overnite trip.

If you are doing mostly multi day trips go with the MSR Whisperlite (or the MSR Dragonfly...which is almost twice the price, but simmers nicely).

But of course someone is going to post here and tell you that MSRs stink and you should buy a Svea, or Optimus. I don't think there is a piece of outdoor gear that elicits more controversy and discussion than stoves. If you think the Magellan vs. Garmin argument is spirited...go to a backcountry related newsgroup (like REC.BACKCOUNTR), or forum and ask about stoves and see what happens.

A great source for discount quality gear is www.sierratradingpost.com They are an outlet store for outdoor gear and clothing. It can be somewhat hit or miss, but if they have what you need, you will get a great deal.

Agreed. STP is a great source for discount clothing and gear. Check there for tents. I picked up a real nice Walrus tent there for $150. It listed for over $400.

If you know what pack you want, you might want to check STP to see if they have it cheaper. I know they often carry the Kelty Tioga. We bought my wife's from STP and we paid something like $70. Since they deal with closeouts and overstocks, availabilty may be limited on some items and things tend to sell out very quickly.

Edited by briansnat

Great source of outdoor equiptment information @ OutDoorReview.com

The "REI Camp Dome 2 Tent" you linked looks half decent. It's always nice to have a low pole count since they're heavy and the more there are the longer it takes to setup. A few things I'd suggest you look for are:

- side/top vents (aside from the door(s))

- aluminum shock-corded poles (fiberglass poles always end up dying prematurely)

- full length pole sleeves instead of clips or segmented sleves (this makes single person setup alot quicker and easier)

Something like the Eureka Aurora is perfect for the size etc that you need, though it may be a little more expensive. Youll have to decide how much you're gonna use it and how long you want it to last.

( http://www.outdoorreview.com/Backpacking,C...89_2955crx.aspx )

As for stoves and a water filter those can get into very long discussions. Again consider how often you're going to use it, where you're going to use it, and how long you want it to last.

Things to consider for the stove:

1) Does it accept multiple types of fuel (this can be handy when you're out there and can't get white gas or propane or butane or whatever if you can accept different things you're less likely to get stuck)

2) Does it have a preheater on the fuel line? (some stoves just loop the fuel line over the burner)

3) Does it need to be kid friendly? Starting some stoves requires a little fuel to be expelled on to a starting pad (can't remember the exact word) and lit, as that burns off the fuel is turned on again. Sometimes this can cause flame ups (which aren't very kid friendly).

(I personally use a Primus VariFuel stove but I don't think I'd want my 10yr old nephew starting it.)

Things to consider for the water filter:

1) Does is kill/remove virii? (Does that matter wherever you'll use it?)

2) How much are replacement filters etc...

(I use a MSR MiniWorks which myt brother-in-law got me and haven't had any problems with it except for the filter becoming waterlogged once when we had 5 people sharing 1 filter for 2 or 3 days, during which the filter was never removed and allowed to dry out).

Thorin

Edited by thorin

I have been happy with my two person Eureka tent. It fits me and my dog pretty well, sets up easily and was failry cheap. It would be tight for two people though (most two people tents will be like that). I have a MSR whisperlite stove and have been OK with it too. I agree with those who recommend getting a water filter. I am in the market for a new one myself, so I will have to keep track of the recommendations here. :blink:

Edited by carleenp
Coleman Peak 1 Multifuel Nice stove that boils water quickly and has an adustable flame for simmering. Uses white gas, unleaded, or kerosene.

This is the stove I have as well. I found a pot that is just big enough for the stove to fit in. I then wrap the stove in a dish towel to keep it from rattling around (handy to have in camp anyways) and fit in in the pot, and pack. If it were to leak (which it has not yet), then the fuel would stay in the pot and soak into the towel.

I know there are lighter stoves out there, but I like this one, and the weight is worth the ability to simmer. It goes low enough to toast bagles on the burner. :-)

Thanks for all the help guys. I am sure I am going to be a pain for the salesman at REI tomorrow because I have never been backpacking before. It looks like I am going to have to drop about 400 bucks for a backpack, 2 person tent, stove, shoes, water resevoir, etc., so he might be glad, depending on if they get commission.

Check your local REI for rental gear. This is a great way to see what kind of pack you will enjoy. most REI's rent packs and tents, so look into it.

You might want to ask, but I *think* REI has a rent -> own policy where rental charges (or a portion of them) are discounted off of a purchase in the same store on their tents/packs.

Also if you plan on buying everything from REI it's worth becoming one of their members. You get about 10% back on your purchases in the form of a voucher good for more purchases at REI. It's 15$ to sign up so if you plan on spending 150$ you'll get your membership fee back.

I've also found REI Expert Advice Pages useful in the past as well.

Brian Snat Posted on Sep 14 2004, 09:56 PM

MSR Whisperlite. A great, stable, lightweight stove. May well be the most popular backpacking stove on the market. Uses inexpensive white gas. Boils water very quickly. Nice and compact. Mine fits easily in my cook kit.

Downside: One setting, blowtorch. If you're scrambling eggs, or making pancakes, you'll have to watch veeery closely, or you'll incinerate them. Also takes some practice to start. You might singe your eyelashes a few times before you figure it out.

Brian, here is a tip, try using a tin can lid from a #2 1/2 can as a heat diffuser on the wisperlite it allows the stove to be set to a simmer. low enough to make rice which needs a slow simmer. our local REI sells stove paste that makes it very easy to light a wisperlite stove. its like flammable toothpaste. Squeeze a little under the generator and light it. it preheats the stove generator and when you turn on the gas it lights and goes to its proper burning mode almost instantly. Like using the fuel cup but with no mess.

I have (2) Eureka 3 man dome tents that each sleep 2 very well . I love Eureka tents.

Brian, here is a tip, try using a tin can lid from a #2 1/2 can as a heat diffuser on the wisperlite it allows the stove to be set to a simmer. low enough to make rice which needs a slow simmer. our local REI sells stove paste that makes it very easy to light a wisperlite stove. its like flammable toothpaste.

Thanks. I have something called a Scorchbuster which is a heat diffuser made for this stove. It helps, but not a lot. You can get a Whisperlite to simmer by not fully pumping it, but you have to keep on it and it's a bit of a pain in the butt. I think with my new Pocket Rocket, I'm set. From now on I use the Whisperlite for boiling water and making coffee and the Pocket Rocket for scrambled eggs and simmering. Its small and light enough that it doesn't add to the burden and I only need one canister since I'm only using it for a few tasks.

I also have the paste, but only need to use it in very cold weather. Whenever I do have a problem with the Whisperlite flaring its because I'm too eager to get it going and shortcut the priming process.

Edited by briansnat

Ok I know I'm gonna feel stupid once I see the answer but: "try using a tin can lid from a #2 1/2 can" ? Cans are sized by #? I thought it was just by capacity. Is a #2 1/2 a normal condensed soup can? Or is it more like the diameter of a tuna/salmon can? Or is it big like a tomato sauce can? (I know those are kinda vague provided we've got people from all over the world but hopefully someone in North America will understand what I'm getting at and point me to a x reference of something)

Thorin

Before you buy check out this site.

campmor

I have a Sierra designs tent and sleeping bag that I am very happy with. I got last years model tent for well under $150. 3 person, 3 season, 8lbs, and you can use the fly and footprint for super lightweight summer camping.

I also have a Mountainsmith pack that I like a lot, but I don't think they make an external frame.

Ok I know I'm gonna feel stupid once I see the answer but: "try using a tin can lid from a #2 1/2 can" ? Cans are sized by #? I thought it was just by capacity. Is a #2 1/2 a normal condensed soup can? Or is it more like the diameter of a tuna/salmon can? Or is it big like a tomato sauce can? (I know those are kinda vague provided we've got people from all over the world but hopefully someone in North America will understand what I'm getting at and point me to a x reference of something)

Thorin

Sorry, from the old days when cans were numbered. show how old I really am.

a 2 1/2 can is the size of a 28 oz can of tomato Puree.

this might help Its a hold over from the old days before Geocaching back when Dirt was still in beta. ;)

If you find the #2 1/2 lid is too large a #303 lid will work (#303 is standard 14-17 oz can of peas or corn)

or you can do like Brian did and buy the diffuser. The other thing I did to help my wisperlite simmer was to change the fuel Jet to one designed for Kerosene. A trick suggested by MSR. It helped regulate the flame better but it did slightly reduce the high end of the flame.

Anyway you do it I love my wisperlite stove.

Edited by CO Admin