Boobie-trapped Fun Cache?

kingsting

Although probably more appropriate in the Hunt/Unusual forum... I've found a couple that had fairly basic practical jokes.

One cache I opened up had a big plush spider sitting on the top. I took a little jump when I popped off the lid. I was sure to replace it like that when I rehid the cache.

Jamie

There is a cache in the area here that is exactly that: springy snakes in a can. I'd post the link, but don't want to spoil it for the finders. The logs are all good natured and well humored. Personally, I thought it was a hoot, and stood laughing alone in the bushes, much to the concern of a mom pushing her child on the nearby swings. :wacko:

I've got several!

One is a magnetic key case that you have to reach into a storm drain to retrieve, being sneaky of course. When you flip it over, there's a VERY real-looking rubber roach glued to the lid. The logs are a constant source of entertainment, LOL:

Near the Heart of it All

Another one has a rubber snake bungied & attached to the lid. When you unscrew it and pull it off juuuuuust far enough, the snake pretty much leaps into your lap. I've had one Deputy almost shoot it, LOL.

Now if I can only perfect my newest one with the spring-loaded squirrel! :wacko:

I was wondering how a cache would go over that contained some spring-loaded snakes like those old joke peanut brittle cans.

My mother hid one of those, sort of. She died at home about 3am after a short, nasty cancer, and I stayed up all night afterwards dealing with funeral home folks and starting to make phone calls and all of that...stuff. I wanted to get the whole grim business over with as soon as possible.

So next morning, as soon as the banks opened, I went down to empty her safety deposit box. She didn't have much that we hadn't already dealt with, so I wasn't expecting anything interesting. The bank manager explained that, for legal purposes, she had to sit with me as I went through it and she would itemize things as I pulled them from the box.

Deed to the farm, an old ring...no surprises. Shoved way in the back was a small silver plastic canister. Interesting. What's this? says I.

You guessed it. Spring-loaded snake. Spring-loaded, loudly-squeaking snake. SKWEEEE-HOOO!!!

Working on a serious load of grief and sleep deficit, I have no idea what kind of noise came out of me. I understand it was pretty good. Thank goodness it was only noise coming out of me. I turned around, and the whole staff of the bank had quietly crept up behind me, waiting for the moment. She'd planned this months before.

Nice going, Ma. Almost joined you in the Choir Celestial on the spot.

squeak.jpg

(And, yes, I'm sure she realized exactly how rude that thing looks).

I found one where the cache was one of those little tiny nitro containers....stuffed into the mouth of a 3 foot long rubber snake, hidden under a log in a rocky area...you know, perfect snake 'turf'........

Ah yes, I know that one. The last person to log it had a DNF but he mentioned that he found a rubber snake in the area and he used it to scare his fiance'. I remembered this log while searching for this cache. I found the snake and was going to take it home with me. When I went to put it in my pocket I noticed the nitro container in it's mouth. Doh!!! I signed the log and put it back where I found it. The cache owners have temporarly archived this one because the fiance' scarer guy put it in a different location and they couldn't find it. I emailed them and told them where it was. I hope this one gets opened up again soon.

There's a cache in Eastern Mass. with the spring-snake thing. The trouble is, it doesn't pop out very well, which makes an already lame joke look even lamer. The saving grace of this cache is that it's a really good hide, and the owner is famous for outstanding camo jobs.

I never went in for practical so-called jokes. Plus, what if you really scare the snot out of someone who has a heart attack on the spot and dies alone in the woods somewhere? How'd you like to be the next GCer to log that find?

Edited by codswallop
I've had one Deputy almost shoot it, LOL.

Yep, that snake gave me quite a jolt B) I was already paranoid because there were muggles in the area and here I was in full uniform trying to find the cache. Once I found it I was trying to be as discreet as possible when all of a sudden... there's a snake B)

After I realized what it was I laughed my *** off. It was a really cool surprise and the cache page made perfect sense B)

There's a snake-in-the-can cache near me, that has gotten quite favorable reviews. (Taking friends to the cache and watching them scream is quite fun.)

I also know of one particular cache under which a pressure sensor was placed, so that when you lifted the cache it triggered a blood-curdling scream. If I knew enough about electronics to get something like that to work, I'd be all over it! B)

I also know of one particular cache under which a pressure sensor was placed, so that when you lifted the cache it triggered a blood-curdling scream. If I knew enough about electronics to get something like that to work, I'd be all over it! B)

Hmmmmm...This wouldnt take much to do. Just one of those battery operated noisy things they sell around Halloween, a limit switch of some type attached to the lid of an ammo can and some slight wiring modifications. In a well sealed ammo can, good batteries will last a long time in some of these devices. If you really want to get creative, get one of those outdoor patio speaker rocks and wire that into the device. The sound will come from behind the unsuspecting cacher instead of from the box. I might have to do one of these. Is there any way I could make it a nighttime only cache? B)

There's a snake-in-the-can cache near me, that has gotten quite favorable reviews. (Taking friends to the cache and watching them scream is quite fun.)

this hallowen watch the halloween stores - I plan to go and look for one of those things that makes noise when you walk by - I am hoping for a screamer - (yes inspired by above!) - take the electronics out of the head or pumpkin or whatever and mount in an ammo box!

shouldn't cost more than about $10 I hope!

I also know of one particular cache under which a pressure sensor was placed, so that when you lifted the cache it triggered a blood-curdling scream.  If I knew enough about electronics to get something like that to work, I'd be all over it! B)

Hmmmmm...This wouldnt take much to do. Just one of those battery operated noisy things they sell around Halloween, a limit switch of some type attached to the lid of an ammo can and some slight wiring modifications. In a well sealed ammo can, good batteries will last a long time in some of these devices. If you really want to get creative, get one of those outdoor patio speaker rocks and wire that into the device. The sound will come from behind the unsuspecting cacher instead of from the box. I might have to do one of these. Is there any way I could make it a nighttime only cache? B)

ya and how about in a grave yard?

We found a night only cache that gave us quite a jump. We picked up the ammo can and all of a sudden we hear, "HELLO! HELLO! PLEASE LET ME OUT!". We dropped the can and I screamed...my caching buddy jumped about 20 feet back and looked like she was going to run away! We finally opened the can and there was a motion activated box inside, screaming at us. B)

We found a night only cache that gave us quite a jump. We picked up the ammo can and all of a sudden we hear, "HELLO! HELLO! PLEASE LET ME OUT!". We dropped the can and I screamed...my caching buddy jumped about 20 feet back and looked like she was going to run away! We finally opened the can and there was a motion activated box inside, screaming at us. :blink:

I remember those from the Johnsonsmith catalogs I would scour through when I was younger. I wonder if they are still around?

There's one I did with a warning about watching out for furry creatures in the area (there are a bunch of rabbits nearby). When you open the lid of the ammo box, a launcher made from a mousetrap hurls a small piece of fur (looks like a tribble) at your face... talk about a shock!

A friend, a local pastor, let it slip that he was taking a group of his teens by church bus to find a night cache behind an abandoned old cemetary way out in the sticks... at midnight on Halloween.

Well... that's a challenge to set an ambush as far as I am concerned! :anibad:

Moonsilver and I arrived at dark to prepare.

Micro-switches and battery packs from Radio Shack, model rocket engine igniters from a hobby shop, strong thin black string, and fireworks. Lots of fireworks!

Ran a string from the cache to a clearing about 30' away and attached a switch, battery and igniters to two containers each of 250 skyrockets.

Ran trip wires (strings just above the ground) across the paths and openings leading away from the cache in every direction except the path in, and attached strings of 100 firecrackers to each.

While we're setting this up 4 Moms walk in at different times, all with the idea of surprising their kids. Like us they'd parked way up the road and walked back so no cars would be seen. This really helped lay aside any fears we might have had along the lines of "Uh, you really think this is a good idea?"

One had a boat warning horn, one had a piece of garden hose that when blown through gave off a great moan.

We heard the bus arrive and hunkered down in the dark. They followed the reflective tacks like flies to a spiderweb!

When the first kid picked up that cache the whole world lit up! Kids scattered in all directions, thus setting off hundreds of firecrackers! The hose moaned and the horn blew and 40-something kids developed a case of the leaping fantods!

Yep, practical joke caches can be fun!

It's probably better if you know your victims well, though... might not be such a good idea to do this to strangers. :grin:

I found a spring-loaded cache one time. I thought it was lame and I took the snake as if I thought it was a "trade item".

Kinda with the attitude like "LOL. you think the jokes on me. Well, I'll just take your spring loaded snake. Now who's laughing."

Then I figured the owner would give me a bunch of nonsense so I actually went back and replaced it without making a notation about it in my log.

I guess it just wasn't a battle I wanted to fight. :anibad:

A friend told me about a cache he found with a rubber snake attached.

The cache was an ammo can sitting a couple of feet away from a critter hole.

The snake was attached with a piece of monofilament fishing line and shoved into the hole.

When you picked up the ammo can, the snake would come shooting out of the hole next to your feet.

After an event we had last year, a group of 17 jeeps were going through the forest finding a string of caches. One of the guys had brought a fake but very realistic looking snake with him. At one of the stops, he gets out, and puts the snake on my friend's bumper in the rear of his jeep.

As he comes back to his jeep, those of us who saw the snake get planted were watching closely.

He walked within inches of it before he spotted it and he jumped straight up about 3 feet!

He was a great sport about it and had some pictures taken with him and the snake.

Has anybody ever found or placed a practical joke cache? I was wondering how a cache would go over that contained some spring-loaded snakes like those old joke peanut brittle cans.

GC106V9 http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1c-884a75d355e6

Is a Spring Loaded Snake. I told the owners to name it Viper and place it at the dodge dealership so people wouldn't suspect that it's a snake... lol they did.

I have found a cache named "Willard" that has a rat attached to it. (plastic, not real, incase any PETA types are lurking...)

Clever caches are always fun.

LOL...that one was fun. Reading the description before I left home, the movie Willard came to mind with a chuckle. I got out there at night, with some weird splashing noises in the nearby lake (which I came to realize were badgers or beavers swimming back and forth and slamming their tails against the water...really odd and creepy sounding at the time). I walked around, looked right at the cache and my heart skipped a beat before I got a good laugh for falling for it. That one was fun.