Logo Usage...

Team VaxCave

I gotta laugh at this.

There really IS one born every minute!

You can buya TB from gc.com for $6.50, or you can get it from ebay (you hope) for only $11.75.

It looks like two bugs and a pin for 11.75. Maybe the seller is making it up on volume (or bought some bugs, and has now left the sport). They couldn't be too sharp or they wouldn't have posted the photo with the TB number visible.

I gotta laugh at this.

You can buya TB from gc.com for $6.50, or you can get it from ebay (you hope) for only $11.75.

It looks like two bugs and a pin for 11.75. Maybe the seller is making it up on volume (or bought some bugs, and has now left the sport). They couldn't be too sharp or they wouldn't have posted the photo with the TB number visible.

No, when you buy the tags you get 2, the original and a copy tag.

The button costs 50 cents from bumblebutton.com.

Well, the seller has one find and one hide, fairly recent, so doesn't look like they quit. Just taking money from stupid people on ebay.

Edited by Mopar
I gotta laugh at this.

I am ALWAYS amazed as the lack of knowledge eBay bidders posses. I've bought maybe 20 things on eBay, and every time it's been an amazing deal. An example is NG Topo for the Northeast for $19.95 (list $99) with the box, registration card, etc.

But what I see more often is folks paying the same or more then they could get the exact same item from a reputable etailer. I guess they get caught up in the bidding, but how much effort does it take to know what you can get an item for? People are just stupid, which isn't bad since it makes us average people look that much better :wacko:

I gotta laugh at this.

I feel for the person who gets it, sets it loose, then finds it has 200K miles in its first day.

What was in poor sport was the picture that was up during the aution has X's over the Tb number, now it seems the picture was changed to show the number(I remember seeing it and getting a giggle at someone trying to sell a TB tag on eBay). Not only did he rip someone off he screwed him over. :wacko:

<edit>

I see he has other TB tags for sale and has at least tried to cover the numbers on them, but you can still make them out. It might have been one of his other auctions I had seen with the X's thinking the picture was changed.

</edit>

Edited by we3dements

:wacko: All of you people fretting about someone selling a set of unactivated Travel Bug tags on eBay and frantically emailing each other back in forth in the wee hours of the morning really need to get a life! Personally, I don't see any problem whatsoever with this person selling a New set of Travel Bug tags to a person interested in geocaching and perhaps only wanting to buy a single set of travel bug tags. What is a big rip off is that if I want to buy a single set of TB tags from geocaching.com, the cost is $5.99 and the SHIPPING to the east coast is an outrageous $7.41 sent via UPS!!!!. That brings the total to $13.40, so the one Buyer on eBay you mention who paid $10 + $1.75 shipping actually saved money by getting them from this Seller on eBay!!! I checked the eBay listing, and I see the Seller also started the bidding off at well below the retail cost so how exactly does that make them a bad person?!

On a personal note, I DO think it's ridiculous that even if I wanted to buy just one tiny little geocaching sticker, I'd still have to pay $7.41 in UPS shipping. That's completely outrageous, and I have passed this comment on to Groundspeak in the past, suggesting that if they lowered their shipping (which could be done quite simply by just using the USPS instead), they'd probably sell a lot more geocaching merchandise.

Moving on to the subject of the travel bug tracking numbers showing in the picture used for the auction listing, how do you even know that the tag number shown is the one that was actually sold to the Buyer. And even if it was, what geocacher do you know that would jot down an unactivated travel bug tracking number that they just happened to notice on an eBay listing, then wait around till the travel bug was actually activated, and then when it finally was activated, provided they can still find the piece of paper w/ that random tracking number they just happened to notice on eBay one day, start making fake travel bug postings to mess with that person's travel bug mileage. I mean really!!!! Who on earth would go to so much effort or better yet, WHY would they????? With all that's going on in the world, don't you guys have anything better to talk about or to worry about.

And lastly, as for the Zippo, I see that the auction was ended by the Seller when asked by Groundspeak since they were using their registered logo. However, the person was only asking $10. A brand new Zippo like that goes for close to $20 and the lapel pin I think sells for around $3 which Groundspeak obviously got their money for when the pin was purchased (plus another $7.00+ for shipping!).

What is a big rip off is that if I want to buy a single set of TB tags from geocaching.com, the cost is $5.99 and the SHIPPING to the east coast is an outrageous $7.41 sent via UPS!!!!.  That brings the total to $13.40, so the one Buyer on eBay you mention who paid $10 + $1.75 shipping actually saved money by getting them from this Seller on eBay!!! 

On the Geocaching - Order Travel Bugs page, you can skip the expensive shipping and just buy the bugs alone for cheap shipping.

:wacko: All of you people fretting about someone selling a set of unactivated Travel Bug tags on eBay and frantically emailing each other back in forth in the wee hours of the morning really need to get a life!

Who's emailing anyone? We are posting to a worldwide message board, the time where you are may be different then the time where someone else is. Of course, it looks like you and I are in the same time zone, and the first post was 9:11am our local time. That's not exactly the "wee hours of the morning" for most people.

Personally, I don't see any problem whatsoever with this person selling a New set of  Travel Bug tags to a person interested in geocaching and perhaps only wanting to buy a single set of travel bug tags.  What is a big rip off is that if I want to buy a single set of TB tags from geocaching.com, the cost is $5.99 and the SHIPPING to the east coast is an outrageous $7.41 sent via UPS!!!!.  That brings the total to $13.40, so the one Buyer on eBay you mention who paid $10 + $1.75 shipping actually saved money by getting them from this Seller on eBay!!!  I checked the eBay listing, and I see the Seller also started the bidding off at well below the retail cost so how exactly does that make them a bad person?! 

Actually, the main discussion is about the lighter, not the TB's, but apparently you missed the alt shipping option for TB tags here. Nobody said the seller was a bad person, most commented on the buyers. If you follow that link, you will see you can buy a single TB for $6.50 TOTAL, so anyone paying $11.75 for one TB and a 1" button (10 for $5) is overpaying. Buy TBs in bulk and it's even cheaper. 4 for $20, shipping included.

On a personal note, I DO think it's ridiculous that even if I wanted to buy just one tiny little geocaching sticker, I'd still have to pay $7.41 in UPS shipping.  That's completely outrageous, and I have passed this comment on to Groundspeak in the past, suggesting that if they lowered their shipping (which could be done quite simply by just using the USPS instead), they'd probably sell a lot more geocaching merchandise. 

That has come up before, and it's one reason for the other shipping option you failed to see. If I remember right, the problem stems from the fact that the other items in the store are handled by a distributor who only deals with UPS.

Moving on to the subject of the travel bug tracking numbers showing in the picture used for the auction listing, how do you even know that the tag number shown is the one that was actually sold to the Buyer.  And even if it was, what geocacher do you know that would jot down an unactivated  travel bug tracking number that they just happened to notice on an eBay listing, then wait around till the travel bug was actually activated, and then when it finally was activated, provided they can still find the piece of paper w/ that random tracking number they just happened to notice on eBay one day, start making fake travel bug postings to mess with that person's travel bug mileage.  I mean really!!!!  Who on earth would go to so much effort or better yet, WHY would they?????  With all that's going on in the world, don't you guys have anything better to talk about or to worry about.

Happens every single day. Yup, just like anywhere else in the world, even in geocaching there are some people that derive pleasure from ruining things for other people. They steal caches, they play games with TBs, they post nasty things in the forums from fake accounts. All kinds of stuff. That's life.

And lastly, as for the Zippo, I see that the auction was ended by the Seller when asked by Groundspeak since they were using their registered logo. However,  the person was only asking $10.  A brand new Zippo like that goes for close to $20 and the lapel pin I think sells for around $3 which Groundspeak obviously got their money for when the pin was purchased (plus another $7.00+ for shipping!).

AHHHH, here's the telling part! The auction for the lighter says nothing about why it was canceled. How do you know such things? Looks like you have a little inside knowledge that only the seller and Groundspeak know. Since I don't think you work for Groundspeak, and you are in the same state as the seller, I think we can guess your reasons for posting here.

Edited by Mopar

You can get a SINGLE TB tag from Groundspeak for $6.50 including shipping. They get cheaper as you buy more at one time, once again Including shipping.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/order.aspx

If you would like to purchase Travel Bugs only, you can save on shipping by paying via PayPal below. Bugs will be shipped through the USPS in a standard envelope, with instructions on how to activate it. Orders are processed 1-2 times a week, so this is the slowest option available. If you are in a hurry, visit the Groundspeak online store.

So yes the seller was ripping someone off, but it is buyer beware. No it was not a good idea to show the tag's number, activated or not.

And yes you should have looked at the options better for buying TB tags before bashing GC.com about shipping cost.

Now I have emails from midnight sent to me about post on this board to go check and forward to the others of us......

:wacko:

<edit>

And Yes MOPAR replies to posts faster then I...

</edit>

Edited by we3dements
Haven't you seen the car window clings someone are trying to sell on ebay, they look horrible... I can't find anyone right now on Ebay, but they show from time to time...

I made some nice vinyl cut stickers that I wish I could sell on ebay. Maybe I should contact TPTB and get a license. Wonder what they would charge?

I DO KNOW you can buy the travel bug direct from Groundspeak for $6.50 which includes the shipping if you pay with PayPal, but NOT EVERYONE that's getting into geocaching knows that. And again, this person on Ebay was asking for only $2.50 + shipping, perhaps just trying to rid of a bunch of old unactivated travel bugs they weren't going to end up using.

But getting back to my issue with Groundspeak and their extremely high shipping costs when buying a single low cost item, whether it be a set of travel bug tags, a window decal, a cache sticker, a patch, or whatever, wouldn't it be more honest on Groundspeak's part to automatically link someone trying to buy a single $5.99 travel bug (+ $7.00 + UPS shipping) from the geacaching.com store to where they make the alternate offer of $6.50 (including shipping by the USPS) with a PayPal payment!?!

Happens every single day. Yup, just like anywhere else in the world, even in geocaching there are some people that derive pleasure from ruining things for other people. They steal caches, they play games with TBs, they post nasty things in the forums from fake accounts. All kinds of stuff. That's life.

I have seen TBs on my watch list where the person who made a log and included a picture of the TB with the number showing and within hours the bug had been to over 1000 caches and travled over 25,000 miles. All because one person was careless and sloppy about taking a snapshot of a bug with the number showing. Did the person making the log mean for that to happen? How about the owner?

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. The internet is somewhat large, and being behind a screenname can at times make you stupid (myself included).

Dear Coca and Vic,

I have some Electric Shavers that I no longer have a need for, and would like to sell. You seem to know a lot about eBay. Could I interest you in selling these items on my behalf? I'd be ever so grateful.

Whoopie, yippie, yahoo I think Electric Shavers are cool!

Would these be real electric shavers, or would they be fake ones?

I DO KNOW you can buy the travel bug direct from Groundspeak for $6.50 which includes the shipping if you pay with PayPal, but NOT EVERYONE that's getting into geocaching knows that. And again, this person on Ebay was asking for only $2.50 + shipping, perhaps just trying to rid of a bunch of old unactivated travel bugs they weren't going to end up using.

But getting back to my issue with Groundspeak and their extremely high shipping costs when buying a single low cost item, whether it be a set of travel bug tags, a window decal, a cache sticker, a patch, or whatever, wouldn't it be more honest on Groundspeak's part to automatically link someone trying to buy a single $5.99 travel bug (+ $7.00 + UPS shipping) from the geacaching.com store to where they make the alternate offer of $6.50 (including shipping by the USPS) with a PayPal payment!?!

There is a statement on the lower shipping cost for travel bugs on both the Main Groundspeak store page and also on the page where they have the travel bugs themselves.

I DO KNOW you can buy the travel bug direct from Groundspeak for $6.50 which includes the shipping if you pay with PayPal, but NOT EVERYONE that's getting into geocaching knows that.  And again, this person on Ebay was asking for only $2.50 + shipping, perhaps just trying to rid of a bunch of old unactivated travel bugs they weren't going to end up using. 

There is a statement on the lower shipping cost for travel bugs on both the Main Groundspeak store page and also on the page where they have the travel bugs themselves.

also when you click the link from the Track Travel Bugs page, it takes you directly to the lower shipping cost travel bugs.

Dear Coca and Vic,

I have some Electric Shavers that I no longer have a need for, and would like to sell.  You seem to know a lot about eBay.  Could I interest you in selling these items on my behalf?  I'd be ever so grateful.

Whoopie, yippie, yahoo I think Electric Shavers are cool!

Would these be real electric shavers, or would they be fake ones?

A member of my crew will be traveling in your area very soon. We can drop some of the electric shavers off for you in one of the many geocaches that we will be claiming finds for. All I need for you to do is PayPal me the money. Payment in advance would be most appreciated.

I think you have misdirected your dismay at GC.com when it seems that UPS is the one who wants too much to ships something. UPS will come to you and take away that what you want shipped included in the price, where as the USPS wants $13 to come to you to get something you want shipped. I do not think it would be smart for Groundspeak to get a large truck to take all the items that are ordered each day out to the local post office so you can save 2 bucks in shipping. If you do not like paying more in shipping for a single item, then make a list of the items you would like to get and when you have an amount that would be more that shipping (thus making it worth the shipping cost) make your order and smile when the big old brown box is brought to your door by the big old brown UPS truck.

Remember UPS sets the price to ship, not the person who ships....

In noticing the crude comments that have begun to fly in response to my comments, I certainly do agree there are bad people that enjoy screwing things up for other people.

My final remark on the Groundspeak thing is that I just think it would be more honest to just list the travel bugs in the geocaching.com store at the reduced price which includes the USPS shipping option. That's all. And while they're at it, why not just switch to USPS for all their shipping!

But until then, if someone wants to look for an alternative to Groundspeak's high shipping costs (such as eBay), then that's certainly their right, and they shouldn't be judged and insulted behind their backs by being called "suckers" or "chumps" by other geocachers on this discussion board.

And as for who I am as if anyone cares, I'm just one of many MD Geocachers. That's all. And the only reason I know about the Zippo auction is because I was watching it to possibly bid on it as a b-day gift for geocacher friend and noticed this AM that Groundspeak had posted a question on the listing saying the auction needed to be ended, but they could contact them about licensing rights.

I suppose I could ask the same question of all of you so vehemently defending Groundspeak.

Remember UPS sets the price to ship, not the person who ships....

..... except on ebay, where Vic's sister can charge $1.75 for shipping that costs her 50 cents.

That is "handling" charges, it still cost the same to ship.

Ever pay $14 in shipping from an eBayer and get a package with a $3.85 post mark using the free boxes you can get from the post office? I did, once.

<edit>

And while they're at it, why not just switch to USPS for all their shipping!

Because for a large volume of packages to be shipped it is cheaper in the long run to use UPS because UPS will bring a truck to you to get what you are shipping out, even if they have to bring a semi-truck.

USPS has a limit to the number of items you can have picked up by them at one visit and charge for added visits until all the things you wanted shipped are loaded. You have to use your own truck to take the packages to them to avoid this added cost. That would mean having to buy, operate, and maintain a truck fleet which would cost WAY more in the end.

Low number, small packages, USPS is better. Medium sized any number of packages, UPS is better. Large sized any number of packages you have to use a freight company or own your own trucks and that is expensive.

</edit>

Edited by we3dements
And as for who I am as if anyone cares, I'm just one of many MD Geocachers. That's all. And the only reason I know about the Zippo auction is because I was watching it to possibly bid on it as a b-day gift for geocacher friend and noticed this AM that Groundspeak had posted a question on the listing saying the auction needed to be ended, but they could contact them about licensing rights.

I suppose I could ask the same question of all of you so vehemently defending Groundspeak.

You talk about honesty and then post THAT BS? You expect us to believe you have no interest other then being a cacher who happened to be watching the auction?

OK, since you can't be honest and tell everyone why you are here, I'll spell it out:

June 30, 2003 by Coca and Vic (5 found)

Good cache. Left Travel Bug Fernando the friendly frog for my sister (Monkeys2) from Slippery Rock. She will log his new location. Took my mom and she almost fell into the waterfall trying to dip Fernando in the waters of Lake Erie.

July 21, 2003 by monkeys2 (20 found)

We set up this cache in memory of our friend, Coca the dog. Enjoy the hunt, as we are sure she would have enjoyed it. DJ and Snaser

The seller in the ebay auctions is "Snazer"

According to ebay, until last month, Snazer was known as Snaser.

In other words, the ebay seller is Vic's sister.

It might also be nice if Vic explained what those references to shaving are all about.

Ever pay $14 in shipping from a eBayer and get a package with a $3.85 post mark using the free boxes you can get from the post office? I did, once.

Why did you willingly bid on something from someone asking for $14 in shipping when you knew that was way more than the actual shipping cost?

Note the word ONCE.

I paid for the shipping because they were to use UPS and next day shipping as described in the auction. If you could not tell, they used USPS and the cheapest way to ship.

How does it go, "screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me"

I learned that not all eBay sellers are truthfull in there auctions. I know, I know, say it isn't so, but yes there are eBay sellers who "fluff-up" auctions. :wacko:

My final remark on the Groundspeak thing is that I just think it would be more honest to just list the travel bugs in the geocaching.com store at the reduced price which includes the USPS shipping option.  That's all.  And while they're at it, why not just switch to USPS for all their shipping!

Perhaps you missed it when Mopar pointed it out, GC.com (aka Groundspeak) does not run their own on-line store.

To eleborate on that, the store is actually run by a company called Sunrise Identity. (From the main GC.com page, click on gear. From that page, click on contact.)

Obviously, Sunrise ships via UPS. That's their deal. If you were them, would you divert sales away from your own business? That is what you would do by adding a link that directs your customers to another sales channel with lower shipping.

If you don't think the goods and services are worth all the costs (that includes shipping, tax, etc.) then don't buy the product.

what those references to shaving are all about.

I did not make any "references". You did and you are obviously a crude and disgusting pig!

Are you saying the ELECTRIC SHAVERS are crude, disgusting people?

I mean, they were banned for cheating and all, so I guess I can see why you feel being associated with them is crude and disgusting. Since you are not related to those losers, I apologize for mentioning those pigs in the same post as you.

Please forgive me?

If you don't think the goods and services are worth all the costs (that includes shipping, tax, etc.) then don't buy the product.

My point exactly!

It didn't sound like your point.

Your posts gave the impression that you were bashing on GC.com because of UPS shipping charges.

If you don't want to pay for the goods, walk away from it and do something else.