About To Make A Long Hike

crash331

I am about to make a 3-4 mile (6-8 miles both ways) hike in the woods. I am trying to make sure I have everything I need. It's on a trail...no buchwhacking.

So far I have:

Compass

topo map

GPS

Water

Deet

First aid kit

camera

cell phone

sunscreen

pda

pens

Is there anything else I need for a trip like this? This will be the first trip I have ever made that is thing long. Do I need food or something else?

If you are forced to stay overnight due to an accident or unforseen event, do you have what you need to make it through the night? Extra food, the ability to purify extra water (boil, iodine tablets, filter), and something to protect you from the elements (space blankets, rain jacket, etc).

My 8 mile day hike last Saturday needed these things when my dog fell 10-15 feet from a rock ledge and it took all night and most of the next morning to evacuate my injured dog from the trail to get him to an emergency vet hospital. Fortunately, I was prepared for such an event athough I did not bring anything along that could make an injured and exhausted dog stand up and walk out before the sun set.

Yes, I always have atleast 6 batteries with my, of the rechargable NiMH type.

A snack would be a good idea, since it might take a few hours including the hike in, the hunt and the hike out.

Sorry to hear about your dog. Did he make it out ok? I won't be taking anyone else with me...just me and the great outdoors.

What about a snakebite kit? I dont even know what it is or how to use it, but I have heard of them. Do they have anything that's needed that a standard first aid kit doesnt have?

My dog is recovering and he is going to be ok. He is very lucky to have made it through without any broken bones or spinal cord injury. He is just very battered and its going to take a while for him to heal.

Definitely take a snack. An 8 mile hike through hilly terrain calls for plenty of calories.

Don't bother with a snake bite kit. They are mostly useless since the venom will be mixing around inside you before you can get the kit out and do much of anything. Rarely do people actually die from a snake bite in North America, but you can expect to go through the worst pain in your life.. My plan if I ever get bitten is to immediately try my cell phone to report my GPS coordinates and the coordinates of the nearest trailhead where my car is located. Most of the places I go hiking do not have cell phone coverage, so this is only an ideal plan. My next plan (especially if I am alone) is to muster every bit of determination and courage I have to get my butt back to the trailhead ASAP so that I can get medical attention ASAP. I am not going to lay there and suffer alone if I can possibly walk, limp, crawl, or otherwise move my body to a place where I can get help.

Anyway, that is my snakebite plan. I have not yet tested it in the field though. . .

Sounds like a stroll in the park, and it looks like you have enough gear. And don't forget to put some shoes on.

Additionally, I'd recommend socks, pants and a shirt.

Seriously, carry enough water. I was suprised to find out how much water I used on a trail - over 3 liters for me (I had a camelbak water bladder). I am planning on buying a water filtration system too, though they are kinda expensive.

Pick up some Smartwool or similar style socks. They wick away the sweat well and leave your feet cool and dry. Very nice.

Sounds like a stroll in the park, and it looks like you have enough gear.  And don't forget to put some shoes on.

Additionally, I'd recommend socks, pants and a shirt.

Seriously, carry enough water. I was suprised to find out how much water I used on a trail - over 3 liters for me (I had a camelbak water bladder). I am planning on buying a water filtration system too, though they are kinda expensive.

Pick up some Smartwool or similar style socks. They wick away the sweat well and leave your feet cool and dry. Very nice.

and take an extra pair with you. (of socks that id)

Snakebite kit?? well, sure, if you are in an area that is prone to venomus snakes. Best thing for them is to keep your eyes open and be respectful of their space. Probe inside of hollow logs and trees with a good long stick before sticking your face or hands into them. Rol logs and flip rocks AWAY from your body.

Your kit seems retty complete. Don't forget a poncho or some other raingear , JIC. And even though you may not be bushwhacking, a machete would not be a bad idea either

My dog is recovering and he is going to be ok. He is very lucky to have made it through without any broken bones or spinal cord injury. He is just very battered and its going to take a while for him to heal.

Definitely take a snack. An 8 mile hike through hilly terrain calls for plenty of calories.

Don't bother with a snake bite kit. They are mostly useless since the venom will be mixing around inside you before you can get the kit out and do much of anything. Rarely do people actually die from a snake bite in North America, but you can expect to go through the worst pain in your life.. My plan if I ever get bitten is to immediately try my cell phone to report my GPS coordinates and the coordinates of the nearest trailhead where my car is located. Most of the places I go hiking do not have cell phone coverage, so this is only an ideal plan. My next plan (especially if I am alone) is to muster every bit of determination and courage I have to get my butt back to the trailhead ASAP so that I can get medical attention ASAP. I am not going to lay there and suffer alone if I can possibly walk, limp, crawl, or otherwise move my body to a place where I can get help.

Anyway, that is my snakebite plan. I have not yet tested it in the field though. . .

I'll second that on the snake bit kit with one exception... I used it as a starter kit for things that normally don't come in a basic first aid kit.

Crash331, being this is your 1st big hike, it's easy to start off fast and strong. That backpack with 2 or 3 liters of water plus extras will weigh you down if you don't pace yourself right off the bat. Take it as a leisurly walk and figure out where your wind is. Hiking staff or trekking poles are a great idea. They act as a third (and fourth) leg to help balance you, particularly on your return trip when you're feeling a bit tired.

Happy hiking!

Edited by TotemLake

Backpacking One Step at a Time, Manning, Harvey.

New York: Random House. 1986. ISBN:0-394-72939-0.

Is a great book to read if you are just getting into hiking. I think this book was the first to reference to the ten essential. It has a lot of information that is useful to day hikers as well as to those who plan longer trips. The sections on equipment selection are particularly good.

Canned food, lots and lots of canned food, the bigger the cans the better.

I did this once, went "backpacking" with some friends, I had never done this before, I was young (thinking back i am surprised that my parents let me go)

I was exhausted, when we got to where we were going I started unloading my pack.....well, talk about laughter........my first backpacking lesson....

dik

You don't want just a water filter, you want a water purifier. There is a difference. Filters just remove the big chucks of stuff, and have no effect on the tiny bacteria, which is what's really going to cause you troubles in the first place. I mean, dirt probably doesn't taste good, but isn't likely to make you deathly sick like bacteria. If you go with a filter, still take along iodine tablets or something the purify the water after you filter out the chunkies B)

no buchwhacking.

good idea. they can get ornery, especially if you whack them for no good reason.

wrap some duct tape around a pencil. if you get a sore or blister on the trail, rip some off and put it over the affected area, layered if necessary. If mid-length hikes aren't your thing, this is probably what you'll encounter most - 4 miles is where your feet start to show shoe issues they wouldn't show after only 1/2 mile.

Extra water.

cooler with a drink or three in your trunk - it's a motivator on the way back.

as always, mark the car as a waypoint.

don't overpack.

Seriously, carry enough water.  I was suprised to find out how much water I used on a trail - over 3 liters for me (I had a camelbak water bladder).  I am planning on buying a water filtration system too, though they are kinda expensive.

You don't want just a water filter, you want a water purifier. There is a difference. Filters just remove the big chucks of stuff, and have no effect on the tiny bacteria, which is what's really going to cause you troubles in the first place. I mean, dirt probably doesn't taste good, but isn't likely to make you deathly sick like bacteria. If you go with a filter, still take along iodine tablets or something the purify the water after you filter out the chunkies B)

Poor choice of words on my part. I was referring to products like Katadyn and such that filter out particles to the micron level - bacteria and such. Simply filtering out dirt certainly will not do. Thanks for the clarification - it is a good point.

Seriously, carry enough water.  I was suprised to find out how much water I used on a trail - over 3 liters for me (I had a camelbak water bladder).  I am planning on buying a water filtration system too, though they are kinda expensive.

Not entirely true. Most decent filters (.2 microns and smaller) will remove virtually all bacteria and parasites...the major pathogens found in in the north American backcountry. They do not however remove viruses, or dissolved chemicals, neither of which is an issue in most backcountry areas in the US. This means that filters are fine for most water you will find while hiking in the US. A purifier is overkill. Not that overkill is a bad thing when it comes to safe drinking water, but it really isn't necessary, especially if you are on a budget.

Now that nasty, polluted river that runs past the factories in your city is a different story. You'll need something more than a filter. If you are travelling in another country you will also want a purifier as viruses are often an issue.

Edited by briansnat
as always, mark the car as a waypoint.

don't overpack.

never have marked my car... bad me, i really should.

and i ALWAYS OVERPACK, petter to be overprepaired than wanting something later.

Agreed. I'm always accused of overpacking. Guess who the goto guy is when something is almost always needed?

gives ya a warm fuzzy feeling to know that people depend on you right? They all laugh at all you carry till somthing is needed right?!?

I would say that taking enough stuff for the hike and another day out in the hills is always a good idea for when you are on a simple day hike. YOU NEVER KNOW what could happen.

I was nodding at the suggestions until I realized that no one said a knife or combination tool, some parachute cord (can double for a broken boot lace), a roll of toilet paper (you might not need it, but in my experience, if you do, you REALLY need it, and aside from the obvious it's a great biodegradable trail marking material), a small flashlight should you get caught out late, some kind of mirror for signaling in an emergency (can be part of a compass), a hat for sun or rain, and sunscreen. Best to have a backpack with a waist strap to take some of the pressure off your shoulders.

My son (11) and I just did a 12 mile hike to the 11,000ft summit of Mt. San Jacinto Peak (our 100th cache-whoohoo!!). I use a medium hydropack, and my son uses a small hydropack. I also tend to overpack, but at least am very good at packing items that are small, lightweight, and compact. However, even my 12 pound pack started to get pretty dang heavy after 12 miles. The only thing that hurt after the hike was my neck & shoulders, from the pack. But by all means, you'll want to have a few items that could make an unplanned overnight stay at least bearable; rain poncho, spaceblanket, firestarter,sticks, etc. And a hiking stick is worth it's weight in gold.

However, even my 12 pound pack started to get pretty dang heavy after 12 miles.

Only 12 lbs.??? I start at 30 lbs. :P

Of course, half that is taken up by 164 oz. of water.

actually that would only be about 11lbs :laughing:

30lbs is reasonable if you are in decent shape. mine is somewhere around that weight, usually 5-10 heavier but i try to keep it down.

You're off to a good start and there is some good advice given already.

I had answered an earlier similar post with a brief list but have since become concerned by what I read many people going into the woods carrying and decided to post a more comprehensive list here.

Geo-caching is often a wilderness activity. I think many people may not think that because they are only a few km from their car, but anytime you are in an unfamiliar natural area requiring the use of navigation equipment – it is wise to consider it wilderness and take the standard precautions: know where you are, stay hydrated, be prepared for inclement weather, and have a basic survival kit.

I always carry the following items in wilderness areas

• Small backpack with hydration

o I use an Arc'Teryx Needle 35. It has a close fit and low profile design to avoid getting snagged on limbs, etc. Pack closure and zippers are waterproof – big advantage and actually easier to get into main compartment than standard packs. The REI Hydration series are also a good value

• Ultra-light gortex shell

o Weather can change very quickly and having a shell is essential to overnight survival if exposed.

o Mine: Marmot Preclip

• Down Vest

o Compressed into small stuff sack. Takes up little space and provides lots of warmth under light-weight shell. I use a TNF vest.

• Map and compass

o I can not emphasize this enough. It is foolhardy to venture into unfamiliar terrain without a map and compass. When the batteries go out on your GPS or you drop it over a ledge, how will you find your way out? In a pinch, you can take pretty good compass headings with a sun stick or using the watch method, but you can not “make” a map.

o The compass is also useful for following bearings provided by the GPSr to the cache. This is much easier over long distances and you can save the batteries on your GPSr

o Mine: Brunton Eclipse

• Survival Kit

o I make my own, but you can buy many off the shelf. It should include: signal mirror, fishing line, flat duct tape, hooks, waterproof matches, water purification tablets, steel wool, pocket saw, space blanket. This can all fit in a band-aid container.

• First Aid kit

• Food

o I carry a few power bars

• Flashlight

o Great for looking in dark hiding places and for obvious emergency needs at night

o I use a Surefire A2 Aviator – Small but very bright with LEDs and tungsten bulbs; can select red LEDs for navigation without affecting night vision.

o If you reverse one battery in the chamber, it will be there when you need it but not cause slow drain.

• Whistle

o 3 blasts is the intl. distress signal. It’s lightweight and the sound carries much farther than your voice.

• Bug repellant – 100% DEET

• Small Knife

• Pepper spray

• GPSr with extra batteries

o I use NiMH rechargeables in my 60CS

• Stuff sack with: swag, extra notebook, pens, zip-locks, etc

• My chocolate lab

I often carry these other items if the terrain demands it:

• Poles

o I use them more than not. They can off-set up to 1/3 of your body weight and are a real asset in uneven terrain.

o I use Leki shock poles with cork grips. You don’t need the shocks but do avoid rubber grips on cheaper poles.

• Gaiters

o No nettles; no PI; no rain, snow or mud in boots.

I always file a trip plan with someone staying behind. Just a quick call to let them know what area I will be in and when I plan to come back. Nobody can look for you when you break your ankle if they don't know your missing!

Last thing, is what I don't take (all the way). I try to always leave a bottle of water or a cooler with a cold drinks back at the car. Often very welcome once I get there by me and everyone else who had been dreaming of it for the last 2 miles.

Have fun,

(edit spelling)

Edited by 5nomads