Cache Trashed

Joypa

:rolleyes: Recently, one of my caches was trashed. Teeth marks on everything. Stuffed ripped to shreds. Many cache items missing. At first I was angry. I thought some animal with opposable thumbs went nuts on my cache. But after thinking about it, it might have been a coyote or a dog. Last entry in the log, which I found, was "left two sticks of..." (illegible). Anyone out there have experience with this sort of thing? What would cause a dog to go Section 8 on my cache? Food? Why would a dog tear up the cache note?

I was recently FTF on a new cache that used a peanut butter jar for the cache container. I guess they didn't bother to clean it out too well because it was attacked and destroyed before it's first find. That peanut butter is a mighty strong animal magnet! I found the container out in the open, thoroughly gnawed upon and contents scattered. Still, I logged the find and put it back where it looked to belong. The cache owner promptly replaced it with an ammo can.

Moral of the story: Don't use former food containers for a cache box.