You Know You've Been Caching Too Much When...

When you purchase candy you don't eat, just for the container.

When you don't own a single pair of socks that aren't permanently stained from your hiking boots.

When you head out for a long hike and you be sure to grab your GPS, flashlight, gun, TP, cache papers, Pen, trade item, spare batteries, travelbug....but you forget water and insect repellant.

When you know the exact minute, no matter what time of year, that it is too dark to be caching in the forest.

When you take the family out for a hike and you have to pretend to act surprised when a nearby cache shows up on your GPS.

When your spend more in fuel for your car than you do on food.

When you've ever thought of caching during sex.

well I'd like to add - when everything you see looks like a good cache container!

did this today...guy in the elevator had his lunch in a tuperware container and i turned to my friend and said "that would make a good cache container!" :blink:

I now have someone at work who brings me all of his empty altoids type containers. :blink:

When you know the exact minute, no matter what time of year, that it is too dark to be caching in the forest.

When you take the family out for a hike and you have to pretend to act surprised when a nearby cache shows up on your GPS.

What are you talking about? Night time is what headlamps are for. :blink:

As for family, they all know that if the GPS is along, I'm hunting caches. Why else would you have have a GPS? :(

Therefore, the secret is to bring it along and keep the GPS where it can get a signal and I can look at it without them seeing.

Does anyone know of a Geocacher's annonymous organization? They say when you start hiding it from the family, that is the first sign of a serious problem. :blink:

Also when you sneak an empty altoids container out of the trash when no one is looking because it would be a good cache container.... Or keep the little plastic container of silica gel that came in a bottle of Motrin because just maybe it would keep a micro from getting damp inside...Or when you hold up a line of angry shoppers at Wal-mart because you noticed that the cashier is wearing a Geocaching.com lanyard around her neck and you just have to find out who she is....Or while traveling you stop at a gas station and are taking the dog for a potty break and you are standing beside a street light and casually reach over to search it...and then realize that you aren't actually geocaching but JUST taking the dog for a potty break. :blink:

Guilty on all counts. :huh:

Two & the Zoo

I've only been at this alittle over a year and I think that all tupperware or any container would make a good container. I've resulted to keychains too. Even the little kids toys of the alphabe and numbers. I think out loud there is a cache waiting to happen. or driving down the road. "yellow jeep". or I look up there is a cell ohone tower but it looks like one. or I see a civial defence siren out in the middle of nowhere. or i'm walkin throught the woods. hmmmm. there would be a great place for a cache.

I've been hit with the, "Hey, I would hide a cache there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there snd there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and maybe even there" syndrome.

I think that all tupperware or any container would make a good container.

I make a point to go out of my way to check out the plastic storage container isles in any and every store I go into in case I find a niffty cache container.

Living on a coastal rainforest region, frankly, tupperware sucks, it just isn't water tight enough (with grit dirt and careless cachers) to be a reliable cache container. Here, I hunt for lock-n-lock containers on sale, or big wide-mouth screw top bottles, or ammo boxes, or other more robustly water tight containers.

when you have more dead batteries than good one on the floor of your back seat.....

when you have several toys on your dashboard, just waiting for the TB tags to come in the mail.....

when you are thinking about buying a storage container so that you can have multiple cans of spray paint available for customizing cache containers......

when you ask noncaching family members to save all sorts of containers that could be cache containers.......

when you can give the requirements for more than 5 locationless caches.......

When your brother tells his friends that your hobby is "hunting old tupperware in the woods"! I tried to explain that it's not always tupperware, but they just don't get it. :unsure:

When you get caught calling in for that important conference call from the trail...then get an email from the CIO asking you to explain what Geocaching is...still not sure if I'm in trouble for that one or not?? ;)

I guess when it starts affecting your professional life, that's when people start calling it an addiction...like you could stop...it's a disease, I tell you! :unsure:

I've been hit with the, "Hey, I would hide a cache there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there snd there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and there and maybe even there" syndrome.

Oh, no... Even worse is when you're driving around with someone telling them "see that pole, there's a cache there" or "Check out that sign, there's a cache there" or "Down that road is *enter cache name here*"

We were driving through a part of the county my mother's never been to and I suddenly realized that not only did I know where we were, I was one street over from another cacher's house (and one of the caches on my favorite's list)...

"Hey, Dog Gone it is down that street!"

"I take it you've been down here before?"

"OOh.. There's a cache over there, too... see that tree?"

:mad:

Oh, no... Even worse is when you're driving around with someone telling them "see that pole, there's a cache there" or "Check out that sign, there's a cache there" or "Down that road is *enter cache name here*"

We were driving through a part of the county my mother's never been to and I suddenly realized that not only did I know where we were, I was one street over from another cacher's house (and one of the caches on my favorite's list)...

"Hey, Dog Gone it is down that street!"

"I take it you've been down here before?"

"OOh.. There's a cache over there, too... see that tree?"

:huh:

Been There Done that ... like all the time and futher more .. oh look theres a Yellow Jeep , how bout that unusual mailbox, ... I think I find more yellow jeeps driving down the road these days then I ever would have noticed before . Same with the mailboxes etc... for those that have done the Locationless cache's

:lol::lol::lol:

We are all bad. My wife and I can't drive down the street without seeing all the spots we'd hide one or all the spots we'd found one. Our family and friends think we're crazy because we don't go anywhere without the cache-bag.

Most people prepare to leave the house checking for certain things; car keys, wallet, etc. We prepare to leave the house a little different; GPSr, compass, topo map, cell phone, etc.

We actually went down to the local USGS and bought a map of our area and mounted it on a backerboard and hung it in the hall outside the study; now whenever we find a cache we place a red pin in its location ... benchmarks are done in blue.

When you stop at every guardrail or light post just because "There has to be a cache hidden there!" :)

Sunday I called JoGPS on his cell phone to ask him if there were any micros in Bicentennial park because I was there just because and was trying to resist the urge to go and lift every light pole cover.

I think my mother laughed at me for a good five minutes when I did that.

And then he said there weren't any like that and I still had to resist the urge to check.

Yeah,and the problem is that I do.